Alternatives to the Parks during Construction

kcb1dizbksfan

Mouseketeer
I make it no secret that I am a big fan of The Animal Kingdom Park and I was a fan of DHS until it's implosion of available activities. However, over the past several visits to The Animal Kingdom Park I have quite honestly been asking myself . . . why am I here. I am glad to see the "Rivers of Light" is finally being scheduled for an opening date in mid-April, but I found myself over the past few trips not having enough to do in this park, particularly when the usual photographic vistas are blocked off from view. I have also found there is even less to see at DHS and I have basically written that park off my list.

I would propose to Disney senior Executives that in their tactical and strategic planning for the near horizon over the next few years to begin the process of creating guest magic in the form of different options that are outside of the parks. For example, back in 1983 Disney for a very short period of time, probably less than a year, they created The Disney Institute that was open to the general public and was not the corporate customer service, hospitality focus that it is currently.

I personally went to the Disney Institute for two classes. One class was learning how to draw animated characters and the second class I really enjoyed was learning computer animation. As I am writing this narrative, I am in possession of the actual Disney Institute brochure that I had back in 1983 . . . the course offered at the Institute included: "hands-on programs in Television and Radio Production, Animation, Gardening and the Great Outdoors, Culinary Arts, Performing Arts, Design Arts, Sports and Fitness and more. We have programs for everyone, include singles, couples and families with children." I am all about education and being able to learn from an actual animator on how to use computer animation software to create characters and breathe life into those characters through simulated motion was an experience I will never forget and obviously I haven't even after all these years.

Repurposing the Institute is just one example of how Disney could significantly enhance the guest experience during what is expected to be a very long period of construction. These type of matters usually have their genesis with customer surveys with guests when they are either in the parks and/or at their respective resorts. I am a very long time Disney fan and frequent park visitor as most of you have probably figured out from all my photographic postings, but over the past few years, the 800 lb gorilla in this conversation is not having options for me outside of the parks. Disney are experts on thinking out of the box in the most creative way through their adding of attractions and keeping a pulse on the guest preferences and so I sincerely hope that these Park alternative options are being considered in anticipation of seeing one crane after another and signage plastered everywhere with the construction sites throughout the parks in question, that they are "creating future memories."

Last edited:
I visited Disneyland during a DIS ABD trip when Cars Land and Buena Vista Street were being built. It was quite hectic and messy. I imagine that this is how DHS will be once things are more front stage. I haven't had issue with Animal Kingdom as of yet. The construction is primarily to one side of the park. I tend to find myself wandering the trails and spending a lot of time just enjoying the animals whenever I am there and even go at least twice per trip.

I personally went to the Disney Institute for two classes.

Kind of a "side note" , but I personally think it's pretty cool you went to the Disney Institute, which was actually started by Michael Eisner, modeling it after (brain eludes me on the forgotten details) some place in New York. I always wished I could go there when I heard about it, and part of the reason was to be able to stay in the resort area which I could see from Downtown Disney (at the time, and I still can't help but call it that!) :) and the waterways, which was housing for the Institute, and has now morphed into Saratoga Springs. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter