Altering return time DME

katmac217

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I admit that I am a Disney World newbie. Do any of you give ME a slightly later departure time in order to buy yourself a bit more time at the resort? I was thinking of finding a flight that leaves maybe 30 minutes after ours in order to have a slightly more relaxed departure morning. Can I then just get my bags at MCO and check them for my flight (we are flying Southwest)? Do I really need three hours?

TIA!

CAN you give a different departure time? Sure, I guess.

Would it be worth it to me in order to get an extra 30 minutes? Not a chance. Your DME bus will likely stop at multiple resorts on the way back to the airport. A lot can happen in between leaving your resort and boarding the plane: long security lines, long lines to check baggage, traffic, accidents on the highway, your bus breaking down, etc.

CAN you give a different departure time? Sure, I guess.

Would it be worth it to me in order to get an extra 30 minutes? Not a chance. Your DME bus will likely stop at multiple resorts on the way back to the airport. A lot can happen in between leaving your resort and boarding the plane: long security lines, long lines to check baggage, traffic, accidents on the highway, your bus breaking down, etc.
Also keep in mind that if the fight you give them gets delayed, you're not going to have a bus at all.

If you really want an extra 30 minutes, pay for a cab.

Thanks! I'll stick with the planned DME pick-up time for our flight. Appreciate the input!

A bit more addtl info. Let's say your flight is at 6:00, you are given a p/u time of 3:00. But you really want to grab that ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern for 1:30, lunch before you head home! So, you figure you can get a bus at 3:30ish instead. But....what happens if there is a delay with that bus, and it doesn't get to your resort until closer to 4 (yes, it happens!!), then you're the first resort stop of 3...so, another 15-20 mins before you leave Disney property. THen, there's a ton of traffic, or, God forbid, and accident! You finally get to MCO and it there are a ton of people in line to check bags. Then, the line at security is horrible. You are barely going to make it to the gate.
Of course, you could have a perfect experience. No way of knowing though. I have to ask...why not check your bags with RAC in the morning??? That saves a fair amount of time right there. If you leave your bags with Luggage Assistance, while you go to the parks, it's going to add time at the other end...I've had it take 10-15 mins for them to locate my stored bags!!!!
You need to be back at your resort, ready to go (with your entire party there), about 15 mins prior to your DME p/u time. Don't be that family that comes running up to the bus, just as the driver closes the luggage bay doors under the bus!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter