Alpacas and Llamas explanation--- because it seems to have puzzled several posters.

WebmasterKathy

Administrator
Administrator
Just thought I'd explain where the alpaca and llama thing came from, because I think several people were puzzled and thinking they were missing some big inside joke... it was really nothing.

I live in Texas, and have a sweet and interesting husband who tends to entertain me in some off-the-wall ways. It's not always easy to tell when he's serious vs. when he's messing with me.

There's a house not far from us where the people raise alpacas. They have maybe 25 or so of them, and they're ADORABLE. Soft and fluffy, big soulful eyes, they're just sweet and so cute. I like to drive by and "visit" them from the car when we're headed that way. DH likes to tease me about it.

Now DH has become interested (I think) in the alpacas- googling information about them, what it takes to raise them, how people make money with alpaca herds. He teases me with alpaca-related anecdotes. Sends me pictures of them. Does he want to become an alpaca farmer? Does he just like to mess with me? Is it just the "off the wall interest of the month" to amuse himself? Who knows.

Then scary books started showing up in the mail. An IRS guide to farming rules. Alpaca breeder directories. Books about processing and selling alpaca fiber and raising alpacas. Seriously.

I shared some of this on Facebook, and a couple of my lovely DIS friends started having fun with me, teasing about the alpaca thing.

Then, as things do with this silly and wonderful group, it spun off into a delirious and silly string of comments about alpacas in a thread that needed some lightening up. :)

The alpaca is closely related to the llama. And the "Drama Llama" is an internet staple, those folks who ALWAYS have some serious issues in their lives they feel compelled to post about. So we got into lots of alpaca and llama talk that was really about nothing, but did help take a thread that could have been too serious and contentious and derail it into fun and silly talk. Some of the folks probably knew about the Facebook origins, many more didn't and just joined in the fun.

Cake is the other topic that gets introduced to lighten up threads, just in case the cake comments cause the same confusion.

So that's the whole story. Not as intriguing as you were hoping, was it? :rotfl:

And for your enjoyment, here's a video of a darling alpaca cria (baby) named Genie, so you can see for yourself why I find them so adorable:

Genie the baby Alpaca

How dare you post that cute video. ;) Now I want one. We have llamas all over East Tennessee (in farms and for use as pack animals in the Smokies) but I'm not sure about alpaca's.

:teeth: We have no HOA.

The problem with livestock is getting a person to watch the critters when one travels. This is one of many reasons why we won't get any of the cute alpacas, llamas, chickens, goats, donkeys, and horses.

Thank you very much! Didn't really think it was an inside joke, I'm just nosey!

Kathy-We also live in Texas west of Fort Worth in a small town. There is a horse ranch we pass on our way to my daughter's school that has two llamas. My daughter (who is almost 15) has a theory that if she sees the llama's in the morning it means she is going to have a good day. Of course now that she is at the high school there is actually a better route to the school but she insists we go the other way so she can see her llamas each day.

And yarn made from alpaca is SOOOOOO soft. And the fabric it makes when you knit it has such wonderful drape and it is very warm. It is lighter than wool, but warmer. I love alpaca.

And how can you resist that face?

Kim

And yarn made from alpaca is SOOOOOO soft. And the fabric it makes when you knit it has such wonderful drape and it is very warm. It is lighter than wool, but warmer. I love alpaca.

And how can you resist that face?

Kim

Kim- I also heard that is it non-allergenic, so even those of us who get itchy wearing wool can wear it. Do you know if that's true?

Kim- I also heard that is it non-allergenic, so even those of us who get itchy wearing wool can wear it. Do you know if that's true?

My step mother in law was telling me that when we were out visiting at the beginning of the month. She and my FIL are raising alpacas. They are up to six now with two more on the way. She took a class to learn to make yarn from the fleece (or whatever she called the hair/fur). It takes a bit to get the knack of spinning it, but I found it very interesting. They keep the males separate from the females. But yes, she said that the hair is non-allergenic.

My step mother in law was telling me that when we were out visiting at the beginning of the month. She and my FIL are raising alpacas. They are up to six now with two more on the way. She took a class to learn to make yarn from the fleece (or whatever she called the hair/fur). It takes a bit to get the knack of spinning it, but I found it very interesting. They keep the males separate from the females. But yes, she said that the hair is non-allergenic.

I'm not sure of that, I have heard of at least one person who says they are allergic to alpaca IIRC. I know she was allergic to mohair, a goat fiber. But that could be just her and possibly a lot of people who have trouble with wool, wouldn't have trouble with alpaca. And they are cuter than sheep.

Kim

And when I'm choosing yarn to knit with, it has to be soft in the skein. If it's soft there, it will be soft to knit and wear. And if you blend alpaca with silk???? OMG!!!! Heaven.

Kim

I was making tons of small felted/fulled clutch purses one year, and a friend of mine wanted one, but couldn't handle the wool ones because they made her itchy. So... we went & bought a few skeins of chunky weight alpaca yarn, and I knit them up & fulled her a clutch. She's had no problems with itching when carrying it. It was also very interesting how it fulled - it almost looked like persian lamb, with the bumpies. Now, I wouldn't normally use alpaca for fulling, but in this case it worked out just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter