Aloha, Ohana, Boma, LeCel, SciF...I ate too much of my rice krispy treat from Goofy's

mrsannb

Mooska meeska
So I'm feeling sick right now. :sick: I thought I'd just eat a little. Didn't even eat a whole Mickey-ear of it. I ordered the rice krispy treat dipped white chocolate, dipped in Reese's pieces, drizzled in caramel (don't forget the caramel drizzle peeps, it's the best) and I seriously am not feeling well. It's like sugar overload here. The box they put this thing in was huge. You know those cube shaped kleenex boxes? Well it's bigger than that. I could go take a picture for you, but did I mention I just got back? Just got back this afternoon. And I'd have to download my billion photos first...probably none of which are of food...so we're going to skip the photo for now. But don't worry. If I eat till I'm sick every day for a week, I'll still have half of it left. Now did I mention this thing was 1 snack credit? So here's your choices, you can get a bag of nuts that has about two handfuls, or you can get an apple, or...you can get this rice krispy treat that has about $20 worth of Reece's pieces on it. But I couldn't get a bag of trail mix with my snack credit. :confused3
Now you're probably thinking, is this my first time ever going to Goofy's? No, it wasn't. But I usually get the mashmallows. You know, the three or four marshmallows that end up being the size of your forearm after they've dipped it. Those are good.
Ok, but we're talking about this trip. And first up was our dinner at O'Hana. And you know what O'Hana means. O'Hana means "oh my goodness did you try the salad while listening to the ukulele music" I'm not kidding folks, it actually means that. Next time I go I am going to swing by Kona, swipe some macadamia nut butter, and put it on the O'Hana bread. :banana: I don't know why they didn't think of doing this. They don't even serve the bread with butter, but you can ASK for butter, and Gail* from Erie, PA** will bring it to you. *not our server's real name **not really where she was from
But the plate cleaner upper, not Gail, took the salad away when our next course was ready. WHY?? WHY? Ok, I loved the salad. Then they brought out a huge dish of yummy stuff...the potstickers were the best! YUM! There were also noodles, broccoli, and chicken wings. Then they came around with the pork and turkey. I liked the turkey a lot. The pork was ok. Then the steak and the shrimp. Both good. Liked the sauces for these as well. I do wish the restaurants at the Polynesian would offer a decent drink though. If you don't drink caffeine, artificial sweeteners, or Florida tap water, your choices...wait--choice...is Sprite. How about a Pina Colada smoothy? Is that too much to ask? So anyway our ADR was at 8:30 and what do you think happened at 9:00?? Wishes. We saw the fireworks. And the water parade (not from our window, but coming back from one of our many trips to the bathroom with my 3 year old because sprite goes right through her). And then...the best dessert EVAH! :woohoo: Bread pudding. Bread Pudding people. With ice cream. AND...Bananas Foster sauce. Yu-UM! Best dessert in the world. Granted, I love bread pudding. I love Bananas Foster. And I love OHANA!

Now I'm going to leave out most of my snacks and counter service. Cause I really don't remember exactly what we had when.

So lunch at Le Cellier was our next ADR. Loved the pretzel bread...good dipped in dh's cheese soup! I had the fillet with mashed potatoes. YUMMY!! DH had the prime rib sandwich and was not impressed. I had the maple creme brulee for dessert and it was too heavy. DH had the ice cream smores dessert and it didn't seem like it was anything special, unless you think marshmallows in sprinkles are special...in which case you really need to get to Goofy's.

We had ADR's at Coral Reef, which I love (Salmon & Ratatouille) but it wasn't until 8:30 and we were tired long before then. We had planned to go to Downtown Disney instead, but didn't make it there either. Ate at the Mara counter service. I think that was the night I had a chef salad.

Next day we ate lunch at Sci Fi. (didn't use DDP on this one) We wanted to try it, and I would recommend it as something to try once. DH had a milkshake and I had a vanilla coke and both were very good. I had the burger and onion rings ($2 extra and worth it, and it doesn't tell you on the menu that you can sub onion rings, but you CAN! And should.) The burger was really nothing special, unless you think a pre-formed burgers topped in Disney's magical excuse for bacon is special. The mushrooms on it were good though. Dh had some kind of sandwhich, maybe a reuben? The kids shared a kids' burger and one got a kids' sprite (we'll call her "Hamster Bladder"). The bill was pushing $60 with tip. And you thought Red Robin was overpriced.

Dinner that night was a late ADR at Boma. Now I'd been to Boma once before and was not impressed. So I decided I would avoid eating stuff I didn't care for and only eat stuff that was good. Sounds like a plan, huh? Well I really don't care for the meat here. It tastes weird to me, and always seems cold. But I did enjoy the hummus (and I'm not really a hummus person), the salad with the balsamic vinagrette, and one of the soups. I think it was some kind of squash, maybe butternut squash soup? I don't know, but it tasted like pumpkin pie. Yum-O! I tried that on the recommendation of the guy cleaning the buffet. I should have asked him what else I should try! You can get Jungle Juice for dinner!

Ok, moving along to the next day. Ah. Sprit of Aloha dinner show. Yeaaa. Here is one we should have skipped. I didn't have huge expectations for the place, but I thought the food would be decent, especially since we enjoy Kona and O'Hana so much. Well, it disappoints. I almost cried when I tried the salad. Boo hoo, the dressing tastes like oil. The bread was ok, but when I asked for butter with it, I got vegetable oil spread. Gee thanks. I would rather have no butter than plastic butter, and this bread needed butter. Then there was pineapple too, but I'm not a huge pineapple fan. Then we got the rest of the food. Rice was bland. Broccoli was not seasoned and not warm. Oh, none of it was particularly warm. I like hot food. The chicken was ok, if you like plain, dry chicken. My rib had no sauce. NONE. I was ready to go home right then and there. I was in the bathroom with Hampster Bladder during most of the show that took place before dessert. It sounded cheesy. Then dessert came. I can't eat chocolate because it gives me migraines, so I asked if they had something else. The server brought me a fruit plate that was good. And he had mentioned something about white chocolate mousse so I asked about that and he brough one out. This was the one saving grace of the meal, if there was one. If you're going to go to the show, be sure to ask for it. And a fruit plate. Oh, and for kids they have mac n cheese and hotdogs. Now, the show after the meal improved greatly. They had some really neat dances. If they took out the cheesy parts and only did the dancing, and took a lesson from the chefs at Kona and Ohana, this could be a GREAT show. As is, barely adequate.

Next day we had thought about doing Yak & Yeti, but decided on CS from Yak and Yeti. Kids enjoyed the shrimp lo mein. I had sweet and sour pork which was pretty good but served with plain white rice (deal breaker). DH had beef, I forget what it's called, but it wasn't bad.

For dinner we did Wolfgang puck express. Good as usual. DH and kids had pizza. I had chicken rigatoni. Caesar side salad is better than the organic mixed field greens. If you go, don't forget to bring some cash for a tip. It's CS, but you do have a waiter.

This morning we paid OOP for Boma breakfast buffet. I had a made to order omlet which was quite good. The sticky caramel rolls were good too. I had jungle juice and tea. I liked it, but it's not going to be on my list of favorite breakfasts in the World. I preferred Donald's Safari breakfast.

Thanks for your info on your restaurant experiences, I am looking at going to Ohana's for breakfast or dinner when we go in Sept, and the Tusker house breakfast as well. I guess I can highlight these on my dining page...fingers crossed we can get ressies! I have the recipe for the soup from Le Cellier and if it's as good as making it homemade, than I am in for a trip to there for dinner also! mmmm good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter