• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

almost had my resort pieced back together

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I was in the process of trying to get the days we needed at BLT (we were supposed to go the end of Jan but both of us had the flu) so we had to reschedule

the only resort we could get for the whole week was SSR but just a few days ago I noticed that there were 5 out of the 7 we needed so I put the 2 days on the waitlist and started to book the rest

figuring if the 2 days didnt come through I could cancel the rest and have the point go back in my bank

so I had 174 points in my bank I had already banked my 2016 points since I needed to do this before the end of March and I knew we wouldnt be using them by then

so I get to the page I think it was to confirm and it says I need to borrow points to do what I needed to do to piece together the days I needed

so if I have 174 points and only needed 84 to get the 5 nights I needed why would I need to borrow

also I was on the waitlist for 2 days in April which came through but even that was a hassle

I read somewhere that even if your on the waitlist someone could take those days on you before the system catches them--what kind of a waitlist system is that--I can see if someone signed up before you but even if your on the WL you still need to watch and if your days come up you need to grab them--then why have a WL system

there is so much to learn with this it sort of take the fun out of planning a trip

but if soemone could please let me know what Im missing with this WL deal please explain it to me

thanks all

Did you cancel the SSR reservation first? If I understood correctly those were the points you wanted to use and if you didn't do that to free them up you couldn't use them on a different reservation.

I guess I am a little confused. Is the trip you are booking in the current use year or next? Do you have any points in your current use year or did you bank everything? If you banked them into next year and have 0 current use year then you do have to borrow points depending on when your trip is.

so I get to the page I think it was to confirm and it says I need to borrow points to do what I needed to do to piece together the days I needed

so if I have 174 points and only needed 84 to get the 5 nights I needed why would I need to borrow

but if soemone could please let me know what Im missing with this WL deal please explain it to me

thanks all

I think your only actual question is the WL one. That's why I only answered that bit.

But the question on the confirm page is just a question. The system doesn't know what you have planned. Perhaps you are going to make another trip with those points. Perhaps you DO wish to borrow for that trip and use the 174 for something else.

It doesn't know. So it asks.

OR your trip was for a different use year than you thought and you really did need to borrow. So did you actually need to borrow?

FWIW thinking of it as a "bank" might not be the best route. When you bank points you move them from one use year to the next. It's not a bank, it's just a new use year.

We've owned since '09, we have a simple UY (February), and I still write it all down before banking or borrowing to make sure that I'm putting points into the correct year for the trip I have planned. If I had a more complicated UY (like December heaven forbid) I think I would always need to come here and make sure in doing it right. :)

Last edited:
Each time I read your post I see more and my brain understands more. :)

so I had 174 points in my bank I had already banked my 2016 points since I needed to do this before the end of March and I knew we wouldnt be using them by then

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...pecific/eng/member/mydvc/2008bankingchart.gif

Banking by the end of march means you have an august UY. Is that correct?

If you banked your 2016 august UY points, you put them into the 2017 UY. Which means they are now for trips taken between august 2017 and the end of July 2018. And since they've been banked they cannot be moved out.

So if that's what you did, yes you would need to borrow the "natural" (not banked from 2016 UY) 2017 points into the 2016 UY to book an April 2017 trip.

Did you end up with points in Holding from when you cancelled for illness by the way?

the only resort we could get for the whole week was SSR but just a few days ago I noticed that there were 5 out of the 7 we needed so I put the 2 days on the waitlist and started to book the rest

I read somewhere that even if your on the waitlist someone could take those days on you before the system catches them--what kind of a waitlist system is that--I can see if someone signed up before you but even if your on the WL you still need to watch and if your days come up you need to grab them--then why have a WL system

thanks all

That s just the way the waitlist is set up. It is not run continuously. It is run a few times a day and the matches are then made. If you log into the dvc online system in between when the waitlist is run, you can sometimes fill your own waitlist.

You should not complain about how is is set up. You more than likely grabbed 5 nights that you wanted at BLT that other members were wait listed for.

"Fixing" the waitlist is, in all likelihood, a fairly expensive IT issue.

You'd pay for that in dues.

thanks for all the great answers I am understanding this waitlist bit alittle more

so if Im understanding this right its because Ive already banked my 2016 points which I needed to do by the end of March (and yes we do have an AUgust UY)

I was just rather surprised since I had 174 points and yet it was telling me I needed to borrow

oh and when I had to cancel our Jan trip and was able to move it to April I got a super MS who said since this was our first time with cancelling that she would have to put them in holding but then take them out and put them back in our bank--I couldnt thank her enough

so thanks so much for the great advice--this turned out to be such a mess with having to cancel and then reschedule I hope this never happens again!!!:crazy2:

When you say she put them back in your "bank" what use year did she put them in?

You banked your 2016 points into 2017 which made them unavailable for a trip in your 2016 use year.

Your April trip is in your 2016 use year (august 2016 to end of July 2017). Do you see the problem now? With the plan to use them for a trip in April 2017 you should NOT have banked them. They should have just stayed in your 2016 UY. "Using" the points doesn't mean taking the trip. It means putting them towards a planned trip. Leaving the 2016 points alone would have kept them available for April 2017. Making that trip arrangement IS "using" them.

We don't have "a bank". I worry that thinking about it in this way is messing you up. :) We have Use Years. We have to be sure the points are available in the UY of a trip. Banking 2016 points made them unavailable. So you borrowed 2017 points which caused them to became 2016 points, and those are now being used for your April trip.

When you say she put them back in your "bank" what use year did she put them in?

You banked your 2016 points into 2017 which made them unavailable for a trip in your 2016 use year.

Your April trip is in your 2016 use year (august 2016 to end of July 2017). Do you see the problem now? With the plan to use them for a trip in April 2017 you should NOT have banked them. They should have just stayed in your 2016 UY. "Using" the points doesn't mean taking the trip. It means putting them towards a planned trip. Leaving the 2016 points alone would have kept them available for April 2017. Making that trip arrangement IS "using" them.

We don't have "a bank". I worry that thinking about it in this way is messing you up. :) We have Use Years. We have to be sure the points are available in the UY of a trip. Banking 2016 points made them unavailable. So you borrowed 2017 points which caused them to became 2016 points, and those are now being used for your April trip.

I agree that OP thinks something works differently than it does. As I understand it they had a reservation at SSR but wanted to change to BLT and I'd assume use those same points. But if it that wasn't the case where they hadn't cancelled the SSR stay then it might be that they were seeing 2017 points listed under the points to use and thought they were considered current for an April stay however that falls in their 2016 UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter