Almost 18 year old kid and DVC

amarberry

DIS Veteran
My daughter is graduating from high school in May and she and her friends have long had the dream of taking a trip to WDW by themselves to celebrate. This is a pretty nerdy and responsible group traveling with my daughter who has been to WDW more times than I can count so I'm comfortable with the idea of them making this trip alone, but I have a couple logistical questions related to DVC.

Three out of the four kids would be 18. However, my daughter would be a couple of weeks shy of her birthday and still 17. From what I have found online, it looks like this is okay as long as the lead person on the reservation is over 18. Is that correct and as long as I put one of the other kids as the lead that it is all good?

DVC AP- can my daughter get a DVC AP without me there? I found an old thread saying that she could pick one up as long as she had my blue card, a copy of my license, and her own ID showing that she lived at the same address. Is that still accurate? Also, how long are adult children able to get DVC AP's through their parents? Is it while they still legally live at home (in college/grad school) or do they get cut off at a specific age?

My daughter is graduating from high school in May and she and her friends have long had the dream of taking a trip to WDW by themselves to celebrate. This is a pretty nerdy and responsible group traveling with my daughter who has been to WDW more times than I can count so I'm comfortable with the idea of them making this trip alone, but I have a couple logistical questions related to DVC.

Three out of the four kids would be 18. However, my daughter would be a couple of weeks shy of her birthday and still 17. From what I have found online, it looks like this is okay as long as the lead person on the reservation is over 18. Is that correct and as long as I put one of the other kids as the lead that it is all good?

DVC AP- can my daughter get a DVC AP without me there? I found an old thread saying that she could pick one up as long as she had my blue card, a copy of my license, and her own ID showing that she lived at the same address. Is that still accurate? Also, how long are adult children able to get DVC AP's through their parents? Is it while they still legally live at home (in college/grad school) or do they get cut off at a specific age?

My daughters did WDW Grad Trips (staying at DVC) in 2016 and 2018! They had a blast leading 3 friends to the places they know and love! You are correct that the lead on the reservation is supposed to be 18 (one daughter was 17, so we made one of the 18 year olds in that group the lead). Not sure if Disney would have enforced, but better safe than sorry.

One daughter did have to activate her DVC AP for her trip. I called DVC Member Services and they put a note in our account. I also had my daughter take a picture of my DL and DVC Blue Card, and her DL showing same home address. I can’t remember what she actually had to show. She was able to activate the pass and did it at MK.

I have been able to continue to get DVC AP’s for my daughters as adults. I am honestly not sure if that changes after their permanent address is no longer the same as mine.

I hope your daughter and her friends have a great trip!

Last edited:
how long are adult children able to get DVC AP's through their parents? Is it while they still legally live at home (in college/grad school) or do they get cut off at a specific age?
As long as their photo ID shows the same address as yours, they can get APs on your account. That goes for any adult family member who lives with you, up to a total of 8 per household. No age limit, so live-in parents, children-in-law, etc. can also get APs on your account.

As long as their photo ID shows the same address as yours, they can get APs on your account. That goes for any adult family member who lives with you, up to a total of 8 per household. No age limit, so live-in parents, children-in-law, etc. can also get APs on your account.

Yea, her daughter is eligible for the dvc annual pass, the issue is activating it without the member there.

OP, my son was able to activate a dvc annual pass without me there. He had a pic of my ID and dvc member card on his phone. He ended up having to call me from the guest services window so the CM could ask me some questions. Not sure how it is now, as this was a few years ago.

If my daughter was going with her friends on our DVC account, suffice it to say that my daughter would be the lead on the room, and she would know it and know why. At 16, she already gets that. In the end, you are responsible for that reservation and anything that happens as a result of it. Take from that what you will.

If my daughter was going with her friends on our DVC account, suffice it to say that my daughter would be the lead on the room, and she would know it and know why. At 16, she already gets that. In the end, you are responsible for that reservation and anything that happens as a result of it. Take from that what you will.
I think the issue is that the lead guest must be an adult, i.e. 18+ years old. Their daughter will only be 17 at time of the trip.

It doesn’t really matter who is head guest. It’s not like they bed check — you do it all in MDE anyway. Send your magic band with her. Having your magic band might help them get her AP, easier to look up DVC status from your band.

Youre responsible for all the damage anyway, no matter who head guest is.

The complication here is matching up everyone in friends and family to make sure it’s done right for things that require on site priority. I assume your daughter can mess with someone’s MDE and make sure this is done right. You don’t want all her friends on your friends and family anyway.

Thanks for the all the input! Glad to hear that this seems relatively common.

As for the lead person on the reservation, I wouldn't be allowing this trip to happen if I didn't feel comfortable with all the kids going. In addition, I know all of their parents quite well too and I'm sure we will all meet up multiple times with our kids to go over all expectations with them. I have less concerns about my liability with this group than I did with the family I didn't know at all who we rented our points to last summer. If my child was 18, of course she would be the lead because I'm the one providing the reservation and she is by far the most seasoned Disney traveler amongst them, but since she'll be a couple of weeks short that won't be an option.

Since they will be traveling alone, I would call DVC, get it all set up, have them email you all the info you request and reservation, and print it out. It's so up in the air there right now, you get a different answer from almost each cast member you ask. Hope they have a good trip!

Agreed on the AP part. My Mom (whos ie 83) lives in my home and she was able to get a DVC Gold (Sorcerer) pass activated last month. They just had to confirm that her address matched mine and then I had no issues getting it for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter