Allergies in FL in May????

marcyinPA

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure what board to post this on, so hopefully this will stick.

Allergies have hit us here in NE Pennsylvania with avengence. My 4.5 y/o ds has been affected most by them. He is really suffering right now, which is pretty normal for this time of year. Once they start, they don't usually leave him until close to June. We've tried all kinds of different meds, but nothing seems to help him. Sometimes we even have to use his nebulizor to help with wheezing.

My fear is that he will suffer with allergies when we go to WDW in May. I was wondering what it is like down there in May for any of you allergy sufferers. It seems to me that pollen wouldn't be as bad in FL as things tend to bloom early down there.

Can anyone give me the heads' up on the allergy situation in May for FL??

Thanks!!

My allergies are awful, especially the last two days here in Indiana (near Chicago). I am miserable. I wonder how things are in Florida as well. The last two years when in Florida, I had very little problems with my allergies, but right before I left (from Illinois) it was so bad I could hardley breathe and had a major sinus headache. Hope someone can give you some info. One suggestion is to check pollen counts etc... for your area and then compare it with what it is in Florida, you should be able to get that off the internet at weather.com

try eating yogurt everyday. One cup per day. It really helps to control sinus allergies. It may be too late now but give it a try, usually I eat it everyday starting in February and then don't have allergies in May and June like usual. Last year, I didn't eat any yogurt and my allergies were back. I say give it a try, it can't hurt.

Answering your question, I had no problem with my allergies in May. I go away in May alot and my allergies always seem better when I'm not in the NY area.

I believe it would depend on what you are allergic to. My sister had allergies when she lived here in Phila, 12 years ago she moved to Florida and she developed a whole new set of allergies down there. Doctor told her, her body would have to adjust to the plants and environment there. She is fine now.

My wife also has allergies here, but when we go to WDW for vacation, she does not have them like she does here.

It does depend on what you're allergic to, but I would say that the worst part of the allergy season in Florida is over by May (at least in Central Florida) because the spring pollen is the worst in March and April. Pollen has already calmed down a lot here. (Goal for today: Clean thick layer of pollen off screened porch!).

floridagirrl2 is right, pollen count is highnow, but pretty much over in May.
Enjoy the Magic.

Check weather.com they list pollen counts for any zip code that you put in. I believe Disney is 32830, someone correct me if I'm wrong. This will give you an indication of how bad they are before you leave.

I am suffering bad now too, I'm hoping Florida will not be so bad when I go.

Have a sneeze free day!LOL:hyper:

I wouldn't worry. I was at my worst here in Ohio a few years ago and got to WDW and all was well. My allergist said it takes 3 years to acquire the allergies at a new location. Luckily the pollen in Florida is different than Ohio, or in your case PA.

Have a great trip!

I agree with other posters. It depends on what you are allergic to. Last year our trip was the last 2 weeks of May. I was miserable at home. I don't tend to have allergies in spring as much as in the fall, but we had so much mold due to heavy rains that I really was suffering. Everything cleared up nicely at Disney. I get itchy eyes occasionally at Animal Kingdom and that is probably due to a plant or animal. But even this isn't that bad.

Bring your son's meds just in case!

Our last trip was in May of 1998, (May 2 -9) and my son did suffer from his allergies during our trip.

He was 6 years old then, and I remember him using anti-histamine eye drops every day.

I also remember that we gave him benadryl every night before bed.

It was something that I did not even consider before we left, but I always take the "whole" medicine cabinet with me whenever we travel! So I did have everything that we needed.

I would take your meds with you, just in case.

I have a pretty high allergy to trees (when in bloom). And right now in WI they are just starting to kick in...bearable but slowly getting worse each day.

A few years ago when we stayed at Poly my allergies were HORRIBLE. Nothing seemed to help but the box of kleenex I carried around w/me. I still had a great time but it was bad. I don't recall it being that bad before or after that trip and we always go in May. Maybe it was just the lush vegitation at Poly...who knows.

Hope they don't affect you!

I live in Atlanta. I was reading in our paper today that we have a new nickname for our city "the big sneezy." We apparently have the worst allergies in the nation, hence the nickname. I have trouble here myself in May but I have been to WDW the last 2 years in May and never had any trouble in WDW.

It's been really bad the last couple of months. The other day I hosed off my driveway. There was a river of pure yellow (pollen). By May it will be much better. There will still be various pollen, but it will be nothing like the last two months.

The last two times I've gone in May I haven't had a problem ... I think I'm allergic to ragweed. I always bring some allergy medication and eye drops with me just in case :p

Originally posted by goin2disneyagain
I live in Atlanta. I was reading in our paper today that we have a new nickname for our city "the big sneezy." We apparently have the worst allergies in the nation, hence the nickname. I have trouble here myself in May but I have been to WDW the last 2 years in May and never had any trouble in WDW.

LOL...we're in good company. We had a similar article in our local paper, and our area (the Lehigh Valley) is ranked 10th for the worst allergies and 2nd for the worst asthma. I guess if we can survive here, then FL will be a cakewalk (I hope!)

Marcy

I am from coastal South Carolina and allergies here are similar to Florida. Tree pollen season is the worst (February, March and April) and Ragweed season in the fall (Sept, Oct.) Basically, my family's allergies act up February through November. The only months the allergy count is nil, is during the month of January when it's really cold. Bring your allergy medicine just in case. If you aren't from this part of the country, you could be in for a miserable surprise. However, the heavy yellow pollen just ended recently so I think you'll be safe for awhile.

I wish yogurt worked for me. I eat it almost everyday and I have some of the worst allergies around. My chiropractor says to eat local honey, or take bee pollen, but that won't help you when you're traveling to other parts of the country.

. :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter