Allegiant to start $35 carryon fee Wednesday

Will this be for tickets purchased here on out, or everyone? I have tickets purchased for May travel.

Will this be for tickets purchased here on out, or everyone?

Federal airline regulations don't allow retroactive increases in baggage fees. So if you've already purchased an Allegiant ticket, you shouldn't be affected.

With the amount of carry ons people are dragging onto planes, I am not surprised. However, $35.00 seems a little high. That's $70.00 r/t. Even Spirit just charges $30.00 ($60.00 r/t).

Call me weird, but I really don't have a problem with it. I always just figure any baggage fees in, when I'm looking at airfare prices anyway. I hate that since airlines have started charging for checked bags, that people are dragging on everything but the kitchen sink. Maybe with them charging for carry ons, more people will just pay the checked bag fees and there will be more room in the overheads for people who actually like to travel carry on only.

Alot of people have problems with Spirit's extra fees. I do not. Even though they charge more for carry ons than they do checked bags, I am still doing carry on only for both my May and Sept trips. I don't like dealing with checked bags. If the total price they can get me from Dallas to Orlando is cheaper than other airlines, who cares about the luggage or seat fees. Even with checked luggage, carry on luggage, and seat fees, Spirit was about half what Southwest, American, Delta, or Continental was for my upcoming May and Sept trips. Yeah, I've got to pay the extra fees, but even with the extra fees they are still alot cheaper than the legacy carriers. Southwest doesn't charge for carryons and allows two free checked bags. Big deal! I would never need two checked bags and even without bag fees, they are always alot higher than other airlines flying out of Dallas, plus they can't offer nonstop flights to Orlando. Even with all their extra fees, Spirit is about half their price and I can fly nonstop. From what I've read, Spirit's business has not suffered any since they started charging for carry ons and in fact, has increased. You can't blame Allegiant for following suit. In fact, I'd expect other airlines to soon jump on the bandwagon soon.

Industry standard is 50lbs per checked bag, one free "bin" bag and one free personal item per paying passenger.

I suspect Spirit knows at least some of their customers won't do their homework.

JMO but I think the disclosure of any non-standard policies should be made in large print on the screen where fares are displayed before a potential customer even starts to reserve a flight.

Spirit has a list of "optional fees" one of which is a mandatory "unintended consequences fee".

I suspect other airlines won't start charging for "bin bags" but might start enforcing size requirement. Might establish, and enforce, weight restrictions.

Doesn't Allegiant now charge $19.99 per bag per segment if you pay for the bag when booking your ticket? Pay ahead and save $15 off the top, or just check large bags (up to 50 pounds) and get the most bang for your buck @ $19.99--forget the carry-ons. (Why do I think the baggage fees for checked bags is now going to rise?)

Industry standard is 50lbs per checked bag, one free "bin" bag and one free personal item per paying passenger.

I suspect Spirit knows at least some of their customers won't do their homework.

JMO but I think the disclosure of any non-standard policies should be made in large print on the screen where fares are displayed before a potential customer even starts to reserve a flight.

Spirit has a list of "optional fees" one of which is a mandatory "unintended consequences fee".

I suspect other airlines won't start charging for "bin bags" but might start enforcing size requirement. Might establish, and enforce, weight restrictions.

The thing is, some people do do their homework and would choose Spirit even with all their bag fees. I went in understanding that they charge for both carry ons that go in the overhead and checked bags, that their weight limit for checked bags is 40lbs, and that they don't serve snacks. I go to WDW several times a year, so am pretty much always looking for airfare. I check airfare prices pretty much daily.:rotfl: When I found airfare for both my May and Sept trips on Spirit for $148.00 (plus bag fees and seat fees), I jumped on it. Even with all the fees, no other airline flying out of DFW or Dallas Lovefield was even close. $148.00 (plus fees) vs >$450.00 was a no brainer to me. I am a light packer so, would never go over 40lbs for a checked bag anyway, but can easily pack in a carry on if I want/need to, have no problem paying for the seat I want (always bought the $15.00 or $13.00 seats on Air Tran anyway), and can always bring my own snacks. Again I couldn't care less about the extra fees, as long as the final price is less than the other airlines. Southwest offers two free checked bags and carry ons are free. However, their prices out of Dallas are alot higher and they don't have nonstop flights. Why pay over $400.00 for a flight on Southwest with a layover when I can pay $148.00 (plus bag fees of course) and get a nonstop flight on Spirit? just to say I could have carried two checked bags for free if I had wanted to? or that I could have packed 50 lbs of clothes if I had wanted to? or that I didn't have to pay for a carry on? Sorry, I look at the final price after all the fees and go with the cheapest, and even with all their fees Spirit was about half what all the other airlines were. Thanks, I'll pay the bag and seat fees and still pay less for my ticket. As long as they get me from Dallas to Orlando safely, I am not a picky flyer. I hate to fly and usually just try to go to sleep ASAP anyway, so really couldn't care less about free snacks either.

I really wish airlines would enforce size and weight requirements (especially for people coming home from WDW). I sometimes can't believe the huge bags people try to bring onto the planes as carry ons anymore.:scared1: Coming back from WDW how many times do you hear the announcements that the plane is full and all that will be allowed on is one personal item and one carry on that fits wheels first in the bins. Yet you see people carrying on carry ons that are bigger than my checked bag, personal items that are at least 24", plus a couple of huge WDW shoppings bags and then they looked shocked if the gate agent says something to them.:confused3 It's like they expect everyone else to follow the rules, but the rules of course couldn't possibly apply to them.:rotfl:

My mom just called and told me about this and I was coming to post, but saw your thread. I dont like it and I dont see how Allegiant can consider themselves a budget carrier when they have so many add on fees that bump their prices up so much. Now add carry on fees and its even higher. The rates for Oct that I am looking at for our trip are $195 just for the flight. Add on $70 for a piece of luggage and we are at $265. Then you have the convience fee $10 per segment and if I want to reserve our seats (we are a family of 6) that is up to $25 per person. I dont think that a ticket over $300 is considered budget. Guess we will be driving for sure. I sure wish SWA flew out of my airport or one close to us. The closest is 3 1/2 hours away.

The fare I've been watching. Just went on sale $258 for 2 but now I have to pay $26 pp/rt to carry on or $39 pp/rt to check in a bag.

I think I'll go with check in. My husband and I can pack in one bag and I don't have to mess with lugging a bag and trying to find room in a bin.

I flew allegiant last week and there was a large delay waiting for everyone to get there carry on bags situated.

The checked baggage fee ranges from $15 - $35 if prepaid in advance online depending on which route you are travelling. The same goes for a carryon bag now which is anywhere from $10 - $30 if prepaid in advance. If it fits under your seat it is free. Here is the link for the different routes. Checked baggage fees are $35 and up if purchased at the airport and $35 for a carryon.
http://www.allegiantair.com/aaFeesForOurServices.php

This probably means no more Allegiant flights for us. We've always tried to go with 2 checked bags for the 4 of us since the checked bag fees started and then make up for it with carryons, especially for bringing back souveniers (but making sure the bags were not oversized). In looking into this change, I realized that Allegiant has also lowered their checked bag weight to 40lbs. Between the 2 changes it'll cost us too much extra and so we'll just use another airline. The downside of Allegiant was always that they have so few flights to choose from. We always adjusted our schedule to their flights - now we'll choose an airline that suits our schedule and lands at MCO (at least until the others add carry-on fees :mad:)

Any carryon bag which exceeds Allegiant maximum weight (25 lbs) or exceeds maximum size will be assessed an additional fee of $35

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter