Allegiant to end all service from PTI - Greensboro NC

WendyinNC

DIS Veteran
I just got back from my Easter trip and found this article. I had reservations for a trip in June. Oh well, I guess I'll get my money back.

Allegiant Air , a low-fare carrier that began flying out of Piedmont Triad International Airport last spring, announced Friday that it would end service here May 31 .

The airline blamed the decision on high oil prices and less-than-desired passenger numbers.

"These cuts are basically the result of escalating fuel costs," said Tyri Squyres , an Allegiant spokesman. "That puts pressure on markets to perform. Although the demand has not met our expectations, we probably would not be making this announcement had it not been for fuel costs."

Allegiant has seven flights a week out of PTI to the Orlando area and to St. Petersburg, Fla. , boarding about 3,600 passengers a month. In January , the airline eliminated a flight to Fort Lauderdale .

An airport executive called the loss of Allegiant a "moderate" hit.

In recent months, PTI officials have trumpeted the fact that the arrival of Allegiant and Skybus Airlines , both discount carriers that began service here last May, has helped reduce fares at the airport.

They say the airlines have helped bring back local passengers who had been traveling to Raleigh and Charlotte in search of lower fares and more convenient flights.

Now, Allegiant has announced that it's pulling out of the Triad, and Skybus said last week that it will cut five flights from PTI, effective April 15.

"The Skybus phenomenon is what is going to make or break this thing," said Ted Johnson , executive director of the Piedmont Triad Airport Authority . "I can't see that there will be any great breakdown in low-fare service as long as Skybus can continue to grow and become a healthy airline."

Las Vegas-based Allegiant targets leisure travelers. The spokesman said eight routes are being cut systemwide.

"Obviously, we don't like them pulling out," Johnson said. "In today's economy, with fuel prices where they are and Skybus making headway in here, a combination of things caused them to rethink the service patterns that brought them into our airport. It was nothing that the airport did or the community did."

Johnson said Allegiant had four flights a week to Sanford, Fla. , north of Orlando, and three to St. Petersburg.

"They bounced around a little bit," Johnson said of the airline's schedule. "They were somewhat like a charter outfit. They came when they needed to be here."

Johnson said the airport would be looking for another airline to service the Florida market and hinted that Skybus might be interested.

"They didn't tell me what their plan is," he said of Skybus. "(But) Orlando is a good market out of here."

An Allegiant spokesman said customers with reservations for June 1 and beyond will be contacted by the airline.

Bummer! They also cut service from Kinston to Sanford.

I just read in this morning's paper that they cut service from Peoria to Ft Lauderdale starting May 29th. I had reservations for a July departure for a cruise. We still have the Sanford service which means I'll probably have to drive three hours to Ft Lauderdale if I still want a nonstop flight from home. They are supposed to be contacting customers who had reservations after May 29th, I'll probably call them before they call me.

Has anyone heard from Allegiant? Any word on refunds? I sent an E-mail, but haven't heard anything. I plan on calling them tomorrow. I would really like to have some money back so I can make a new reservation.

I called them on Saturday night. I have to say the rep was nice even though I was disappointed about having to make other travel arrangements. They offered me a refund or a different flight. Since they are cutting the Ft Lauderdale flight I decided to fly to Sanford and drive 3 hours to Ft Lauderdale because there was no way I was going to find a nonstop flight for 3 people for less than $450 even if I drove to nearby Chicago or St Louis. I'll be flying out of Rockford though because I liked the earlier departure time than Peoria. But they let my fly back to Peoria from Sanford.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter