All Things Being Equal, Would You Fly or Drive?

Uncleromulus said:
Drive. You'll then have a car at WDW and won't be hostage to Disney Transportation.
I know what you mean about Disney transportation! ;) But we've already reserved a rental car (that *and* the airfare plus gas for the car is equal to our costs to drive) -- we'd never be without one at WDW! :)

Thanks everyone else for the input ... it looks like we'll be flying and I'll be taking my bottle of Excedrin Migraine in my carry-on. ;)

Drive? NEVER again if I have a choice! FLY - you can leave in the morning and have lunch in WDW! Flying adds 4 more days to your vacation time!

I do both from MA. If all things are equal, I will fly every time.

Things are not alway equal and driving becomes an option frequently.

Is there a was to control your migraines? If you can then FLY, FLY, FLY.

If you are losing a day on each end because of the migraines than driving may be your better option.

I'd fly. Even if it meant paying a little extra and flying another airline. You'll have more time at WDW! :cool1:
Plus you won't have that dreaded drive back...

We usually drove from WI when I was growing up (had family there so went almost every year). Occasionally we would fly, and the trip would be so much better (the "dreaded drive home" comment gave me some serious flashbacks :) )

My DH and I are planning trip with DD 8 and DS 5 sometime 2006. DH hates flying and wants to drive, and I keep telling him he has no idea what he's saying. Can it be done? Absolutely. I would be willing if it saved us, say, $500. But not for even $$$. Hope this helps...

fly fly fly....why waste two days of your trip when you can be enjoying those days at disney....get those tickets and get on the plane !!!

Fly, fly, fly! Of course, Chicago has lots of airline choices, so that makes it much easier. We did the drive once and got caught in an ice storm in Atlanta that stretched the 18 hour drive out to 24. That cured me...even though I'm scared to death of driving, I'm more scared of potentially driving on an ice rink.
Barb

I don't know where your checking for airlines/airfares but I just did a search on Expedia and I turned up cheap fares on American, NW, United, Continental and US Air. I also understand that Airtran will be starting service there in early November as well. You have plenty of choices......you obviously just DON'T want to fly, so don't. Good luck whatever you decide. And as far as the migraines go...you can get great prescriptions these days.

JerJan said:
I don't know where your checking for airlines/airfares but I just did a search on Expedia and I turned up cheap fares on American, NW, United, Continental and US Air. I also understand that Airtran will be starting service there in early November as well. You have plenty of choices......you obviously just DON'T want to fly, so don't. Good luck whatever you decide. And as far as the migraines go...you can get great prescriptions these days.
JerJan:
I'm not sure if you're addressing me.... if you are, I'm confused. I already found a cheap fare (that's what I meant by "all things being equal" and stating in my my earlier posts that the cost to fly and rent a car was the same as driving). :) I never said I "just DON'T want to fly" ... in fact, earlier I posted that we were planning to fly. :confused:

And as far as the migraines, thanks for the suggestion, but I take a couple of other meds daily and don't plan to add another prescription if I can help it. :)

To everyone else who's replied, of course now that the weekend is over and we finally nailed down our dates, the price on the airfare has risen over $60pp. So now, unless the prices drop drastically, we're driving! ;)

simzac said:
I would still fly anyday instead of driving that far. JMO :earsboy:
Yup, but when $$$ is a factor (and it is), we have to opt for the lesser cost, especially when it ends up being a few hundred dollars. ;)

DiznEeyore said:
Yup, but when $$$ is a factor (and it is), we have to opt for the lesser cost, especially when it ends up being a few hundred dollars. ;)
Have you calculated how much gas you will need for your roundtrip, and also the cost of a hotel each way if you need to stop. I believe that you are from Detroit, certainly not a short trip to WDW. :confused3

simzac said:
Have you calculated how much gas you will need for your roundtrip, and also the cost of a hotel each way if you need to stop. I believe that you are from Detroit, certainly not a short trip to WDW.
Of course! :) Otherwise I couldn't have known that it would save a couple hundreds bucks to drive, could I? ;)

Seriously, we've done the drive several times before. It's not my idea of fun, but again, the money's a factor. Even if gas prices make a big jump, it's still going to be cheaper. I hate how airlines seem to change their rates on a whim. Makes me crazy.

DiznEeyore said:
To everyone else who's replied, of course now that the weekend is over and we finally nailed down our dates, the price on the airfare has risen over $60pp. So now, unless the prices drop drastically, we're driving! ;)

I saw that! I looked at NWA out of Milwaukee. Before could get as low as $155 pp; now around $300 pp. Eek! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter