All Stars Music...What to Expect

DisneyDreamers3

Mouseketeer
I booked a standard room at ASMu the week of April 23; this will be our first time staying at this resort (we usually stay at Pop but needed to find the most cost effective resort and ASMU was it).

I just read that all 3 All Stars resorts were rented for a Dance and Cheer competition during the same week I booked. This has me concerned. Does this mean that our room will likely be sandwiched between rooms filled with dancers and cheerleaders? Or will the group be kept together and maybe we will be in a building with other families?

I'm looking for info on what to expect in terms of likely room placement, noise, etc. from anyone who has experienced staying at a resort when it has been rented out.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

The number of dance/cheer events, large teenager tour groups, and other large sport youth groups at Disney continues to grow - not decrease. It's nearly impossible to pick a week when a large "group" of people won't be there.

I've been at ASMu three times - I think all three times there was some flavor of group there. First two times - I was in Country Fair (the farthest from the lobby) - and the place was so quiet it was amazing. I'm pretty sure my first trip was during Pop Warner. Second time I think was youth soccer. The third time - I was in a room in Broadway - and yep - two different very loud tour groups from Brazil were right by me - and it was AWFUL. The row of rooms to one side of me was all families on our floor, but the two floors below and the wing at a right angle to us were all booked by these two groups. They did manage to move me - but they couldn't move me the first night (the place was full) - I had to wait for the second night. I did learn they have defined quiet hours (I think they start at 10 pm) - and security will go speak to a group leader if their group is reported as causing too much noise. They are going to try to keep a "team" together - but there will be multiple "groups" so who knows where they will be.

I did not find any impact on bus transportation or food court access - resort services are designed to operate full.

So - I think it's hit or miss - and you can't predict. I also think your room requests CAN influence this. They are still going to try to meet your room requests - and if that means placing you right by a group - they will probably do that. I had requested Broadway the last trip because I didn't want to be as far out as Country Fair again. When I had gone to the desk to complain (after I had called once) they knew they could move me to a building in Country Fair the second night without any groups - so I regretted putting in the request in the first place. Ultimately - I moved to POFQ.

If you need a resort that you can guarantee is quiet at any hour - you need to change resorts - probably to a mod. However - if there is clearly a large group violating noise rules at night repeatedly - I do think Disney will try to either quiet the group or move you.

We were at All Star Sports when the cheerleaders were there and we rolled our eyes because our room was situated right next to one of the quiet pools. The first night there, a group of cheerleaders came out and started to practice on the grass near the pool. We could clearly hear them in our room and I was getting extremely mad. I told my husband that if they didn't quiet down by midnight, I was going to the front desk and complaining. Right at 10:00 PM, a chaperone came out and told the kids they needed to get to bed to get ready for the next day. After that, we never really heard or saw any of them again.

Compare that to another time at All Stars when the pools were open late and a non sports "group" (meaning a bunch of families traveling together) were in the pool next to the football building (where we were) until well after 2:00 AM. Yes, that was me walking to the front desk in my PJs and getting laughed at and jeered at by the "group". Until a half hour later when they were all ejected from the pool.

So - just because you know there is a group booked into your resort doesn't mean you will or won't have a good time.

Large noisy groups are the main reason we often choose NOT to stay in a value resort. We have had some very uncomfortable times with them on buses and awake at the resort due to noise. AS PP said, not all groups are a problem, but some are. The problem is, you don't know if you will have trouble or not until you are there.

WE opt for moderate or deluxe resorts to avoid thee situation whenever possible. Otherwise we make the only request for a quiet location, away from groups - and go prepared to have a bit of a walk at a resort like ASMu.

Good luck!

If you prefer to try avoid the groups POP is the best option in the value level. However, the groups also stay at POP occasionally and the mods too. You are less likely to see any of the SATG's at the mods but they can be there at times.

I've been at several of the values when there were groups and for the most part the experience has been fine. I was even at POP during Pop Warner week last year. In general, the biggest problem is in the food court in the morning. Teams that are there to compete are generally busy with that and they leave as soon as they are finished. I have to say the worst behaviour I have seen associated with a large group was from the adults, not the kids.

Standard rooms at Music are at the back of the resort (it's not laid out like any of the other values) and can be a long walk.

Groups are all over the resort but will fill standard first .... and you will likely be mixed in with them, we were.

Last Easter break, I was at Pop for 2 nights. There were sports teams all over, and they were playing catch all the time (and the food court was a madhouse at times).

So I guess they're at all the values, depending on what their group books.

I'm hoping our next stay at all star sports they are limited to the first weekend (it seems they've booked the all stars and CBR for a cheer thing but just the weekend).

I'm okay with groups, but hope to have a top floor room (what we requested). Helps to not be on the ground floor!

LOL!! I was in one of those cheer groups MANY years ago - we were told to be respectful and remember that other guests didn't want a bunch of out of control teenagers running around a being loud. It can be hit or miss with the Cheer crowd. Yes, there are kids out practicing at various times but very often you will be away at the parks when this happening. Hopefully most groups are respectful and stop at a reasonable hour.

The biggest difficulty in my opinion isn't necessarily the Cheer groups per se, it's that the walls are extremely thin at the All Stars. With that said, our worst experience at an All Stars was when there was a family next door to us that checked in after midnight. They were VERY loud. They were speaking another language (can't remember what it is was now) and we figured out that they had most likely come from another time zone and although we were sound asleep, they were wide awake. They had two young children who, of course, we SO excited to be at WDW. This family talked loudly and excitedly ALL NIGHT LONG. It was literally impossible to get any sleep. My DH had already had enough of the tiny beds at the All Stars and that was the trip he said "Never again." However, we have stayed at the All Star Music several times since then in one of the family suites.

So I think it is the luck of the draw at the All Stars even when the Cheer crowd isn't there. It can be very quiet or it can be horribly loud. I would do for it and just pray that you end up between two quiet rooms.

Maybe think about upgrading to a preferred room and request Calypso? I believe cheer groups also stay in mods, so unless you're willing to go Deluxe, you still may have cheer groups at your resort.
That might be a good option. The preferred rooms are only in Calypso so no need for a request. If there are cheer groups you will still have to contend with them at the food court and on the bus but it's not likely that they will have preferred rooms.

Expect it to be crazy, noisy, and a lot of self-centered adolescents that think the entire universe revolves around them. They only way Disney could get me to stay in that Circle of Hades would be to give me the entire vacation for free.

That might be a good option. The preferred rooms are only in Calypso so no need for a request. If there are cheer groups you will still have to contend with them at the food court and on the bus but it's not likely that they will have preferred rooms.

Oops, you're right, I get confused between Preferred and where the Suites are. Yes, Calypso is preferred and I would assume the groups don't pay preferred rates.

I've stayed with cheerleaders at Music in the past. There's not a big open area for practice like there is at Sports so I never saw practice. I did see some cute stuff around the pool during dance parties.

They also like to flirt - if you have teenage boys, watch out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter