All Star Movies vs Music

escriven75

Mouse bars for breakfast!!!
Aside from the obvious difference in specific theming/decor, does anyone have a reason they prefer one of the other b/w All Star Movies vs. Music? We're trying to book our make-up trip from cancellation of our March trip. We're thinking of splitting our time between AKL and either AS Movies or AS Music (to save a little cash). We will be relying on buses, not renting a car. And we plan to spend most days in the parks during the All Star part of our stay. Since we don't plan to spend much time at the resort during the All Stars part, I'm wondering which to pick. When we stay at a Value, we usually stay at Pop....but the All Stars are a bit cheaper and we plan on being in the parks all day. The price is the same for Music and Movies, so I'm not sure which to pick????

Movies have all been refurbished (looks like Pop) and have queen beds.

Some of the rooms at Music have been refurbished and you can’t guarantee you’ll get one. Old rooms have double beds.

I choose Movies.

We recently stayed at ASMo. The room was recently renovated. It was really nice to be able to put up the 2nd bed when not in use. We always stay in Building 2 in the Mighty Ducks section. It has a quiet pool right in front of it. It also is so close to the ASMu bus stop, it is awesome! When leaving a park, we just take whichever bus comes first. When heading to the park, we used the ASMu bus stop.

When we stayed at ASMu, they put us in the most remote section of the resort. It was Building 5 Country Section on the back side. Our kids were 10, 7 and 1. After the 2nd day, of making the trek back to our room after being at the park all day, I stopped at the front desk and asked if we could switch to a closer room. It was Labor Day weekend, it was extremely hot and we were exhausted so any way to take away a few steps we were ready to upgrade to. The CM was so sweet, she upgraded us for free to a family suite. It was the best pixie dust we ever received...so because of that I have a soft spot for that resort.

If you are going to be mainly in the parks all day, book ASMo and ask to be in the Mighty Ducks section. Best of both worlds...cheaper price, but close to a bus stop! :love:

I had to make the same decision and I chose Movies due to the fact that all rooms are now refurbished and have larger beds now lol Ive stayed at Movies, Music, and Sports and for some reason I always choose Movies.

I have stayed in all 3 All Stars.
Music is my least favorite not just due to theme but because the layout is front to back so depending on your room location its a long haul at the end of the night.
I'd go with Movies for the theme, layout, and I believe all the rooms are refurbed.
I'd go with Sports before I'd go with Music even if the rooms are not refurbed because of the layout and the fact that if/when buses are shared Sports is the first stop.

I've stayed at all three but none since they have been renovated. We had one night in Music in Jan. I just go with whichever one is cheapest. We tend to stay in a value resort for a night or two at the beginning of a trip before moving over to an Epcot resort (usually Dolphin). We use that resort as our MK or AK day since you have to ride a bus to both no matter where you stay. Yes, we ride the bus if we stay at Dolphin instead of going through Epcot because I'm not a fan of the monorail.

Agree about staying in Mighty Ducks-it basically gives you fairly easy access to 2 Resorts and their Bus Stops,etc. and also Ducks has its "own" Pool and Laundry. :)

Aside from the obvious difference in specific theming/decor, does anyone have a reason they prefer one of the other b/w All Star Movies vs. Music? We're trying to book our make-up trip from cancellation of our March trip. We're thinking of splitting our time between AKL and either AS Movies or AS Music (to save a little cash). We will be relying on buses, not renting a car. And we plan to spend most days in the parks during the All Star part of our stay. Since we don't plan to spend much time at the resort during the All Stars part, I'm wondering which to pick. When we stay at a Value, we usually stay at Pop....but the All Stars are a bit cheaper and we plan on being in the parks all day. The price is the same for Music and Movies, so I'm not sure which to pick????

we stayed in the preferred section of music & noticed people walking over from movies for the bus. We ended up spending a day at movies pool because they have a Splash pad kiddie water area and music does not.

We stayed at Movies in 2017 and found the food court much better, in our opinion. At that time, Movies had their own dessert counter with great options and I did not see the same at Music, I could be wrong about that. I liked a daily special milkshake at the end of the park day.

Last edited:
I prefer Movies. Movies has their Secret Cinnabon Bacon Cheeseburger, which I love. It also has a better layout and all of the rooms are refurbished.

Music can be cheaper, but the long layout can make for a long walk. On the plus side, it does have suites, so Music has less rooms.

I actually prefer Sports because, as someone mentioned previously, if the buses are running for the All-Star Resorts instead of each individual stop, Sports is the first pickup and dropoff. Which, let's face it, at the end of the day, you usually want to get away from the crowds. lol.

Music is very bland as far as decor, and I love Movies, but it depends on what building you are in. My last stay there, after 2 or 3 previous trips, we FINALLY got to stay in a Toy Story building. We were on the back side and couldn't see much of anything directly outside of our room, which I thought I was not going to like. But to be honest, it was much quieter. 👍

The only thing I will say about any of the All-Stars, or any resort for that matter, is just be careful that your children aren't climbing all over the characters and things outside each building. Some kids run down and wait for parents there and in the Florida mornings, those things can be wet and very slippery! I saw a kid fall in December on one of the Little Mermaid things at AoA.

we stayed in the preferred section of music & noticed people walking over from movies for the bus. We ended up spending a day at movies pool because they have a Splash pad kiddie water area and music does not.

I've not stayed at any of the All-Stars, so I had to look this up on Google maps, but I can see this happening. Two of the buildings at the Movies resort are closer to the bus stop for the Music resort than they are for their own resort. So yeah, I can see that happening.

I really prefer Movies, and have never gone to Music for their bus stop since the buses have never been a problem for me at Movies (it had been a while since I stayed there, so don't know if it's usually an issue, but I didn't have a problem). I like the layout better, and the new refurbed rooms are spectacular. Of course the rooms at Music are being done but it might be a while until they finish. I stayed at Music years ago and we were put at the back of the resort, super inconvenient, but even when I haven't had a great building at movies it's still never as much of a walk as it was at music.

I've not stayed at any of the All-Stars, so I had to look this up on Google maps, but I can see this happening. Two of the buildings at the Movies resort are closer to the bus stop for the Music resort than they are for their own resort. So yeah, I can see that happening.
Definitely-staying at Mighty Ducks is like having a Preferred Room at Music and a Standard Room at Movies at the same time! :)

Looking back at Ducks after crossing the road between Movies and Music.

20169209308_932396217b_z.jpg

Looking back at crosswalk

19736293563_f595fb11d4_z.jpg

Turning and looking down the sidewalk to Music(building shown is Melody Hall)(all 3 pictures taken from the same spot)

Definitely-staying at Mighty Ducks is like having a Preferred Room at Music and a Standard Room at Movies at the same time! :)

Yes it is, considering how close it is. Now, I assume that if you are staying at Movies you can go and eat at Music? Does that include use of refillable mugs? And knowing the name of the building is good to know. Now when I go to stay at Movies I'll know which building to ask for.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter