All opinions, no pics, quickie dining review

IncredibleboysMom

DIS Veteran
We were in Orlando T'giving week. The first half was at Kidani :lovestruc, the second off-site to go to Universal :eek:. DH, myself and our 3 sons, ages 10, 7 and 5 dined at the following:

Boma:

Our third time for dinner. Food was amazing. I love getting to try new things and a buffet is great for that, however, we were seated at possibly the farthest table from the buffet. Because DH and I took turns getting the kids' food and then our own, we were rarely at the table at the same time. It's also extremely loud and just wasn't relaxing at all. Next time I will ask for a closer table. The soups and desserts are exceptional here. My kids were tired (arrival day) and didn't eat much though there was alot that they liked.

Tony's:

New to us. DH and DS had the chicken parm, and because I wanted more variety on the table, I went with the pork tenderloin with marsala sauce. Mine was tastier, but was served lukewarm. I waited a few minutes, didn't see the waitress then ate it anyway because we needed to go stake out a spot for the parade. DH and DS had the chicken parm and they both loved it. The little guys had the Mickey ravioli with alfredo and liked it as well. The desserts were average, and DH had a caesar salad that was tasty. Tony's is a solid choice for MK dining. I would like to return for lunch.

Sanaa:

OMG! Thank you DiSers for convincing me to eat here :worship:. We had the bread service with the red chile, coriander and mango spreads....phenomenal. DH had the chicken and shrimp curry combo. We both preferred the chicken but the shrimp was good too. I had the fish (atlantic char) and it was very, very tasty. Ironically I found it very non-spicy, almost bland but delicious too. I think the bread with spreads, and my sampling DH's food balanced this out. The kids had pizza on Naan bread, so it was a little more original than most. I wasn't expecting much of dessert, but it blew me away. I had the sampler, everyone else just had chocolate cake. I actually like the chai cream and the passionfruit sorbet best. EAT HERE! I wish I could again soon.

Kona breakfast:

I should first give the disclaimer that I don't really like sweets for breakfast. That said, I enjoyed the pineapple macadamia pancakes which I had sans syrup. DH loved Tonga toast and the boys ate plain pancakes like rabid animals. It was nice to have decent coffee, but I don't personally have to return here every trip.

T-Rex:

We met friends here, big mistake. This place is far too loud for conversation and I wasn't expecting much from the food. I was surprised. DH and I split the mushroom ravioli and it was delicious. I also had a cup of french onion soup that was very good. He ate a side salad quite happily, so it must have been OK. The older two boys had pizza and the popcorn shrimp/chicken nugget combo. Their meals looked pretty generic, but I tasted my 5 year old's lasagna and it was very good. The five boys at our table loved this place so I'm sure we will return. It's kind of pricey though. They did let me use a RFC coupon for a .99 cent kids meal. Our friends had a burger and a steak sandwich. They said they were good, but both were huge and they wished they had shared just one.

Il Mulino:

DH and I went here on a date. We left the boys in Camp Dolphin for 2 hours and only paid $20 plus tip because they comp you 2 hours of childcare for every entree purchased at an onsite restaurant. We also used a Restaurant.com $25 certificate and felt pretty smug about our relatively cheap date. On to the food...I had the mushroom rigatoni (it's listed as rigatoni funghi on the menu:goodvibes) and DH had chicken fra diavalo. I immediately had entree envy and he graciously shared. I didn't order his because it also came with sausage which usually upsets my stomach, but the chicken was really good. It was in a spicy tomato sauce with zuchini, broccoli, mushrooms, etc...My dish was pretty mild by comparison. Pasta and mushrooms in a garlic sauce but it was tasty. Our desserts were cheesecake (DH) and the flourless chocolate cake. Once again, he picked the winner so we shared them both. We even had a bottle of wine and the entire evening cost just over $100 including tip. We will do this again next time, hopefully at bluezoo.

Counter Service:

Columbia Harbor House

I was a little disappointed here. I had the shrimp basket which I didn't think had much taste at all. Very much Captain D's type shrimp although they weren't greasy, just tasteless. DH enjoyed the tuna sandwich (ick) and the boys had chicken nuggets. I did like the fries here. Next time I will try the fried fish as it looked pretty good.

Mara

The chicken pita with couscous was fabulous. Who knew a CS credit could be so yummy? DH had the turkey ciabatta sandwich and liked it. I don't remember what the boys had. No doubt chicken or pizza. The desserts were delicous. I had zebra domes :love: and he had almost as yummy carrot cake. I really think that if you don't stay at AKL that you should take some time to visit, see the animals and have lunch at Mara. It's an excellent use of CS credits.

Wolfgank Puck Express

I had rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes. The chicken was moist and delicious and the potatoes were REAL. DH had a sandwich, turkey maybe? and liked it. The boys split a cheese pizza. We enjoyed the creme brulee for dessert. I would like to return and try more items. Also an excellent use of a CS credit.

Earl of Sandwich

We had the original and the full Montagu and shared them both. I preferred the full Montagu. The highlight here is the layered brownie dessert. We returned later in the trip just for these. I liked the ones layered with peanut butter filling, DH preferred the chocolate. YUMMO!

Well that does it. DH and I are returning for marathon weekend. He is running, I am eating ;). We are splurging on the Deluxe dining plan and will try some signature places since the kids will be with grandma! Thanks for reading.

nice reviews...thanks for taking time to share your experiences & opinions. It's always great to read current reviews.:thumbsup2

We found Boma dinner to be ridiculously noisy/crowded/busy, too. But we had a great time at Boma breakfast...quiet, relaxing way to start a morning (and great coffee, too.)

Loved your reviews! Thanks for posting.:thumbsup2

BTW, we always do our QS at the Mara on our DAK days...It's better than any QS in the park, IMO!

Loved your "quickie" reviews - especially as we'll be eating in some of these places next week! :banana::banana::banana:

thanks for your reviews.

we are going to try Tonys for the first time on our next visit. I am glad that it was not listed as bad......Nice to see some positive reviews too..

We are big fans of Earl of Sandwich. We dont normally eat sandwiches out so this place was a huge surprise to us....I love the Full Montagu..my most favorite.

thanks again for the reviews

Thanks for the quickie review. We are staying at AKL and was worried about the Mara and I haven't really read anything positive.

We just got back last night.

The "Counter Service" in the parks is basically amusement park fare at amusement park prices. Not much different than the cardboard burgers and fries at someplace like Six Flags that would also set you back $60 for four burgers, four fries, and four drinks.

Some of the table service we tried:

Garden Grill: Terrible service, terrible food. Two slices of turkey and two small medallions of beef on the first platter for the entire table? Ask for more and two slices of turkey and one small medallion of beef on the second platter? For $35 a person?

Chef Mickeys: Okay for dinner, not for breakfast. Service is hit or miss.

Biergarten: Great service, great food.

Ohana's: Great service and food for dinner. Breakfast was a rip-off and the service was horrible. Do you realize how many eggs you can buy for $100?

1900 Park Fare: Probably the best dinner food and service of everything we tried.

Narcoossee's: Not sure if I spelled it correctly, because the only thing I will remember about this place was the terrible service. The food was great, but the waitress seemed like she just got fired from Denny's.

Summary: I don't think we'll ever consider counter service again. In regards to the table service, I've had better service at IHOP than we had at some of the above named. There is no reason I should have to wait 15 minutes for my glass of water or cup of coffee to be refilled, especially when the tab is running well over $40 a person. But that was a constant experience at the ones I indicated had terrible service.

We really didn't run into any "bad" food; what we did encounter was a stark inconsistency in service levels, even at the same establishment. One night at Ohana's, our waiter obviously had experience and was very good, very attentive, and contributed greatly to the evening.

Several days later, at Ohana's for breakfast, we felt we were constantly waiting for our waitress for more juice and coffee. And when she would come by the table, she would ask us "how is everything" like she didn't even notice the empty cups and glasses. She tarnished the experience for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter