All 15 of us SURVIVED!!!!! It was definitely an adventure! TR NOW WITH PHOTOS!!

dapod423

Mouseketeer
Just returned from our big family trip. 15 people total. My DH's entire family.

Overall the trip went well. I think I went into it with such low expectations that it had to turn out better than expected. I think the reason for this was the rest of the group seemed to realize that traveling in a pack of 15 was not a good idea. I had been trying to tell them this for months but they just wouldn't listen. There were a few bumps along the way. Mostly when our advice wasn't taken but no big deal...we all survived in the end.

I am going to start my TR tomorrow I think. We are exhausted and have had 1 birthday party already today and are heading out to my brother's birthday soon. I apologize in advance for a boring TR but I don't know how to insert pictures and all that jazz.

To prepare you for the TR here is some info from my PTR. Our cast of characters

Us- Myself, DH and DS4
In-laws #1 MIL and FIL
In-laws #2 SIL, BIL, Dnephew12, Dnephew20 and DNGF20 (??Dnephews GF??)
In-laws #3 BIL, SIL, Dnephew10, Dnephew8 and Dniece3

6 nights at Animal Kingdom Jambo. 2- 2 bedroom villas for 15 people!!! Us and In-laws #3 in 1 villa and In-laws #s 1&2 in the 2nd villa.

We had some yummy reservations lined up. A couple of firsts. I had never been to Ohana (gasp) or CRT (double gasp). Also Whispering Canyon Cafe, Hollywood and Vine, Via Napoli, Donald's Safari Breakfast and Teppan Edo.

See you all tomorrow.

We did a trip for 13 similar to yours in early December and had a great time!

Big family trips CAN be fun!!!!

Wow...you're much braver than I would be! I worry when it's just 6 of us! :scared1: Looking forward to your review and hope there are lots of pics!

I can't wait to read your TR! We did a big family trip April 2010, spanning 4 generations (and boyfriend of DSis18 included:sad2:) in total there were 14 of us in 4 studios and a lock off 2 BDR - that was our saving grace....time away from each other!!!!! and everyone had their own bathrooms!!!:lmao:

Sunday Jan 8th
Only on a day like this is it acceptable for the alarm to be set for 340am. And it is the only time that when the alarm goes off at 340am I will spring out of bed and be ready to walk out the door in 20 minutes. Showers were taken the night before to save time. DS informed DH and I before he went to bed that he wanted to be woken up by us coming into his room and screaming "IT'S TIME TO GO TO DISNEY WORLD". We obliged but on a lesser scale. And the little boy jumped right out of bed without any arguments (not normal) and got ready to leave.

So off we went to LaGuardia at 405am. To start the trip off right I have to tell you the plan of the in-laws and the way they think. Their plans aren't always the greatest. We live on Long Island about 40 miles from the airport. They live in Brooklyn about 10 miles from the airport. I had spoken to my MIL the night before and her household (Inlaws #1 and 2) were planning on not sleeping at all (huge mistake) and being at the airport at 330am for a 705 flight. Well I tried to nicely tell her she was out of her mind and that we weren't even waking up until 340am. Then DH (who worked at the airport for 10 years) piped in with "Mom the terminal doesn't open until 4am). Well because she is who she is they were still there by 4am. DBIL arrived at about 440am and we brought up the rear at 5am (plenty of time). Now bc FIL is retired PAPD we were able to get free parking at the airport. So DH, DSIL, DBIL and DFIL went off to park the cars while the rest of us started to go through security.

I should probably add at this point that DMIL can not walk well due to weight and arthritis. She should have had a wheelchair for this process but I was told that she refused. Both DMIL and DFIL had scooters for the duration of the trip which they rented and had delivered to the resort.

OK back to the airport. Security went very smoothly and then we set ourselves up by the gate got breakfast and waited. Our flight boarded and took off on time. We arrived at MCO about 10am. I had my husband make sure that a wheelchair was waiting for DMIL. She thought the walk to the gate at LaGuardia was bad and it's about 1/4 the walk to ME. We boarded the ME with about a 2 min wait at around 1020am. I was worried bc the line for Animal Kingdom Lodge was empty. But they loaded us right on and we were the first stop!!!!

We arrived at AKV Jambo house around 11am. I got off the bus and went ahead to start the check in process. I did Online Check-in but no one greeted me and I saw no CM milling about the lobby. So I went and got in line. I was the only one on line but the family that was being helped was being difficult and I proceeded to stand there for over 15 minutes. Then I notice DSIL talking to a CM who is looking up the reservation on a portable device. This annoyed me. Why would that CM approach someone who just walked up instead of taking care of me and the people behind me that were waiting a long time. Anyway..... after 15 minutes it was my turn. We got all checked in, added our Undercover Tourist tickets to our KTTW and straightened out Valid for Charging and Not Valid.

By this point our good luck had run out and neither room was ready. No big deal. I prepared them for this. They did give us the little map to show us the area of the rooms. I had requested "Near Transportation" for MIL. My family and In-laws #3 were on the Kudu Trail in the first bead. YAY! The other map showed that the other room was on the Kudu Trail also but like the 2nd bead from the end. I didn't worry bc they had scooters. But when DSIL got wind of it she asked if it could be moved. We went back to the desk to ask. There was a nice man who helped us. He was also training someone. When he pulled it up in the computer he looked at us like we had 6 heads and said that "you can't really get any closer. You are right off the lobby". Turns out the CM who made up the packet for our Online Check-In circled the wrong area. So the other room was at the front of the hotel on the Ostrich Trail.

Up Next: Splitting up for the first time....We head to MK and the rest head to DHS.

PS- If anyone wants to PM me with a tutorial on how to add pictures it would be greatly appreciated. It would make my TR less boring

Looking forward to reading this as we did the 15 person (my inlaws too) trip in Dec. We were at OKW (10) and SSR (5).

So after checking in and getting everything taken care of we were ready to hand over our bags to Bell Services and head off to the Magic Kingdom.

Originally everyone was supposed to go to MK. About 3 weeks before Christmas I let everyone know that Fantasmic would be closing and the first night we were there would be the only chance to see it. I also let them know that Dumbo and BTMRR would also be closing and our first day would be the only chance to ride them. Everyone decided to leave the schedule alone and head to MK. Then Christmas passed and I think they all started to think about what I said. Now EVERYONE else all of a sudden wants to go see Fantasmic. They busted my chops about this and I had to change my almost completed itinerary (oh did I forget to mention the laminated itineraries ;) )No problem but you now have to change your own dinner reservations for Sunday and Monday. We had planned to go to WCC (which I kept) on Sunday and Boma on Monday. So the In-laws made a reservation at Hollywood and Vine for Sunday and some made a reservation for WCC on Monday while the rest joined us at Boma.

So here we are in the lobby ready to go. Dh had checked our bags. DSIL was still at the desk working out tickets. I then realized.... Hey i don't have to wait for them!!! Let's go! so DH, DS and I took off at 12noon. I later found out that the others did not leave for another hour and 40 min. I would have been pissed (as 1 DSIL was). So we had great bus karma and the bus arrived right when we got to the stop.

DSC02009.jpg

At the Bus stop!

When we arrived at MK I was so excited to see some of the Christmas decorations still up, including the tree!!!! I wound up seeing every tree except Epcot! This is when the first text came in that the Inlaws room was ready 5131 which connected to 5129.

DSC02013-1.jpg

Magic Kingdom Christmas tree

So DS wanted to ride Pirates immediately but we were sooooo hungry. We agreed that we could ride Pirates and then eat. I had always wanted to try Peco Bills. So after a quick PhotoPass opportunity in front of the castle off we went to Adventureland!! We rode Pirates with minimal wait. I think everyone was still passed out from the marathon that morning. After that we cut through Tortuga's to Peco Bills. I had the Pulled Pork Sandwich which was good and DH had the Taco salad which he enjoyed. After that we made our first of many stops at a designated smoking area for DH filthy habit. It was about this time that the second text came in that our room was ready 5214 which connected to 5216. I now tried to convince DS to go in the Haunted Mansion. He was adamant that he would not go in. I then asked if he would go with his cousins on Thursday. "Yes Mommy I will". So off we went on our Obligatory-can't-not-ride-this-ride-when-we-come-here It's a Small World. It's just something we HAVE to do. After that our afternoon went smoothly. We rode Dumbo one last time before closing, Winnie the Pooh, Tomorrowland Speedway, Buzz Lightyear and the People Mover. After that we headed to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner but not before stopping at Town Square Theater for a photo op with Mickey and Minnie!!!

DSC02021.jpg

DH and DS on It's A Small World- our family favorite

DSC02026.jpg

Last Dumbo ride

DSC02035-1.jpg

We took the boat over to the WL and enjoyed a delicous Canyon Skillet. DH had never been and he made an amateur mistake....he filled up on the All-you-care-to-enjoy milkshake. We took our desserts to go and headed back out to the boat. Chilly boat ride back over to MK then we caught the bus back to AKV.

We arrived at our room to discover that we entered through the studio. I was about to get upset because I opened the door and immediately saw the sofa bed pulled out and the blankets all messed up. I thought "Great, I got a room that hasn't been cleaned". I thought this bc there was NO WAY the in laws could be back from Fantasmic! But low and behold after all of their annoying phone calls about changing things around only 4 out of 12 people stayed for Fantasmic! Why you ask???? Because they were exhausted from not going to bed the night before! I warned them!

Both villas were in good condition. I said this in October after 1 night in a 3bdrm GV and I'll say it again. I don't understand why there are no locks on the bathroom doors. In the 1 bedroom there are sliding doors between the hallway and the sink area and another sliding door between the sink area and the shower/toilet. I just don't get it. But that is my only complaint about the room. Everything was clean. The fridge in the studio was leaking but DSIL called and they came the following morning and fixed it.

Next up: Early morning arrival at DHS to sign DS up for Jedi Training...but will he do it?

I am excited to hear about your big family trip! I was too exhausted upon returning from our family trip in April to even contemplate a trip report so I give you a lot of credit! :lmao:

Too tired tonight to write more. Plus I'm hoping to figure out this picture thing by tomorrow!! See you all then!

Thanks for the TR Allison! We have traveled with extended family for our past 2 trips and are in the beginning stages of planing a trip to DL with my "side" in 2013. I cannot wait to read more about your trip!!!

I am the planner and set-up some basic ground rules before we go...

• If you did not research and help plan, you don't get to gripe about what we do or eat.
  • If you are late, we are not waiting for you and you do not get to gripe.
  • We will not be touring the parks as a big group. No one is allowed to have their feelings hurt when we split up to do stuff.
  • If we stop for a bathroom break, everyone goes...even the grown-ups!
I cannot wait to see what y'all do!

Monday January 9th Disney's Hollywood Studios

I'm going to start this day. Not sure if I'll be able to finish up before I have to leave for work.

I should tell you before I start that last May DS and I were in DHS the day before Star Tours was set to open. I passed by and saw a soft opening. I was so excited and so was DS. But he missed the height requirement by 1/2 inch. Being the good mother that I am I ran right onto the ride anyway leaving the child screaming with my mother. I know, I know but I was so excited.

So the plan for this day was to be at DHS for rope drop at 9am. DS was adamant that he do the Jedi Training. The plan was for me to take him to the sign up and for DH to haul butt to TSM for FP, wait for us there and we would then ride standby. So we arrived at DHS at 830am to find it already open.

DSC02036.jpg

So as planned I took off with DS to find the Jedi Training and DH ran fo FP. I ran over to the area that was supposed to have the sign up to find out they moved it into the lobby of Sounds Dangerous. So he was all signed up for the 11am show. We called DH and found out he got FP and the standby line was already 40 min. I consulted my phone which stated the wait time was only 27 min. So we decided to ride standby. It was actually only 25 min. Not bad. We then had some time before our FP was good and DS had to be back for Jedi Training so we headed to Star Tours.

DSC02041.jpg

Now like I said DS was so excited to go on this ride. We got over to the entrance and he balked. He absolutely refused to go. I reminded him that he was looking forward to this ride but he was just not having. So I sent DH ahead and went into the store with DS (I would ride after DH). 2 minutes later DH appears "I don't want to go alone" (He's just a big kid really). OK no problem, I'll go. So off I go. It was literally walk on. As I was walking past C3PO I heard some screaming behind me. Wait....I know that scream. I turn around to see DH and a kicking and screaming DS. "Mommy...Daddy said I HAVE to go on" No I should mention here that DS is scared of everything before he does it. Then afterwards he will say it was "Great" "Awesome", etc. So we get on the ride and it begins. Next to me I see a smiling little boy who's reacting to everything. We get off the ride and he says "That was AWESOME!!!" But.... he didn't want to ride again.

Must get ready for work now

Next up: Will DS do Jedi Training???

OK. Now that I have caught up on some sleep, let's finish out DHS.

So we got off Star Tours and after DS got his "Darth Vader Lightsaber" he started to say that he didn't wanted to have a lightsaber duel with Darth Vader, read: "Mom I'm not doing the Jedi Training we woke up so early to get here to sign me up for". I tried my best to convince him but I can't force the kid to go up there and fight Darth Vader if he's scared. SO we headed back over to the sign up area and made some other child on the standby list very happy. Oh well, maybe next year,

We then went back to TSM to use our FP. We really do love this ride. And I know everyone else does too. Can't they make another? Or can't they revamp Buzz Lightyear to resemble TSM??? (I'm really bad at the Buzz ride). Anyway after TSM it was time for Indiana Jones. Prior to walking back over to that side of the park I made my DH promise this would be our last trip across the entire park. I had already done it like 4 times and it was only 11:00!!!

DH and DS share a love for Indiana Jones. On our first trip with DS in 2010 he had not yet discovered this love and was afraid of all "shows" so he wouldn't go see it. Before my trip in May 2011 (with just DS and DM) I prepped DS with videos of the show on You Tube. He was still scared, but with the promise that we could leave if he was really scared he went. And...he LOVED it! So now he couldn't wait to do it with his Daddy. The show was good as usual but will it ever get a refurb??

DSC02040.jpg

DS outside the theater

After the show we set off towards the Streets of America to find Phineas and Ferb. Which we did. They were alot of fun. After DS was done with his picture my DH says "Hey Guys, Where's Perry?" Well this sent Phineas and Ferb into a tizzy. They spent the next 2 or 3 minutes looking for him and involving DS. It was really cute.

DSC02044.jpg

After our fun Phineas and Ferb encounter it was time to see Lightning and Mater. They were being spruced up last May so we didn't see them then. Now they were all ready for the Grand Prix

DSC02045.jpg

You can just make out DS there next to McQueen.

Next on the agenda was supposed to be Lights, Motors, Action. I had briefly prepared DS with some You Tube videos. but fear won out and we skipped this. I can't say I was too upset because I was just realizing that I was STARVING!!! It was about 1pm and I hadn't eaten breakfast. So in keeping with not back tracking anymore we continued on our path and found the Studio Catering Co. Now I have always passed this by never paying it much mind. But it was really good!! It wasn't too crowded and I had a delicious grilled vegetable panini. I think DH had the chicken caesar wrap. I was pretty impressed as I'm not a huge fan of DHS food as a whole.

After a nice lunch it was time for another of DS favorite activities, Honey I Shrunk the Kids. He LOVES this place. I love letting him run free. I just wish they thought about the parents a little. Those rocks are not comfortable. I did hit the jackpot when I found a cozy spot right next to the water fountain.

DSC02049.jpg

DS coming down the slide

DSC02053.jpg

He loves to have his picture with this truck. (Note the Indiana Jones gun?)

We meandered back up Pixar place and decided to secure our spot for the parade. But first we stopped to get DS an ice pop to keep him quiet for the 30 min before the parade.

DSC02058.jpg

Messy, but quiet.

We had a great spot right next to the Sorcerer's hat at the turn onto Hollywood Blvd.

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

I know I may get bashed for this but the Pixar Pals Parade is my favorite parade in WDW( well besides to Move It Shake It Block Party. But is that really a parade? or a party?). I love the music and the energy. I could do without the rats from Ratatouille though.

When the parade ended it was time for some characters. We hauled butt away from the parade and went to see Jake and Handy Manny with absolutely no wait. We walked right up to both of them!!

DSC02092.jpg

DSC02093.jpg

We then headed in to the Art of Animation building to see who we could find. I have to say I was a little disappointed. Maybe our timing was off but it was not the Characterpalooza it was in May. We only found Winnie, Mickey and the Incredibles.

DSC02098.jpg

It was about 4:00 now and the children (yes I mean DH too) were starting to get cranky and wanted to go swimming. But Mommy needed a pretzel first. I am always a sucker for a soft pretzel. We used some snack credits, got two pretzels, sat on a bench for a few minutes and enjoyed them. Then we headed for the bus.

Back at the hotel we quickly put on our bathing suits and DS and I headed for the pool while DH disappeared to some designated smoking area somewhere and joined us a little later. It was now that DS discovered the slide. Last October we spent 2 nights at Jambo house after a cruise and while I enjoyed the slide DS would not do it. So imagine my surprise when he announced "Mommy, I want to go on the slide" I told him to go ahead and I would wait at the bottom for him. I figured he would get up to the top and chicken out. But I was so happy when I heard his scream coming down the slide. And began his love affair with the slide. We did that for awhile then headed to the hot tub. DS loves hot tubs. I am very careful to monitor his time spent in it though. This past October on DCL I was getting a massage while DH and DS were in the pool. I came back to find DS as a wet mushy noodle. DH had let him stay in the hot tub for an hour!!!!! He didn't read the sign that said 15 min maximum!!!! It took DS hours to recover!

After we swam until about 600 we headed upstairs to change. I then sent DS and DH to the arcade for a bit. We had 8pm reservations at Boma and had some time to kill. At about 730 I headed to the lobby and decided it was time to check on the status of the rest of our dining party. Now remember the other 12 people had switched days on us and were all at the Magic Kingdom. In Laws #3 were going to the WCC for dinner and the other 7 were *supposed* to be headed back to join us. Now if you remember from my PTR DH family is not good with time. This was the reason for my laminated itineraries. I just wanted everyone at ADRs on time. I know the rule about not getting seated until everyone is present. So here I am in the lobby at 730 about to dial the phone and check on the family........

Up next: Will they be on time?

Thank you for sharing your experience. You guys look like you had a great time.:thumbsup2

popcorn:: Lovin it so far. There is a small possibility of there being 8 of us on our July trip BUT only 4 of us will be staying on site. I don't know how you still have hair after a week with that many people. Hats off to you and I look forward to the rest of your TR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter