Alesund - Viking Village Experience & Giske Church

blabadie

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have experience with this excursion? Does is it sell out early?

Our kids are very into Viking history and this excursion would be the primary reason for us to go with DCL for a future Norway fjords cruise vs. another cruise line. I would love to hear if others found it worthwhile or if it would even be available for silver level booking?

Thank you!

I have no idea about how popular the excursion is or if it sells out. They have plenty of variation on tours that go to that island so it must depend on multiple factors specific to each cruise. The village itself is able to handle lots of guests.

It is a wonderful excursion. The church is ok but our son had a blast at the village. They have local actors, real food to try, music... They dress up the kids and build them wooden swords with a leather handle. My son brought it to show and tell more than a year later.

Just a heads up but Disney has done it’s «viking village» experience in Sunnmøre museum which is a really nice place (really scenic!) but all the farm houses there are from medieval or newer period. They put up a show especially for Disney cruisers ( when they usually close down the museum for «private event»). The viking part in their exhibition is the reconstructed boats but not the whole village. Unless they have now changed the place, which is unlikely as there is no Viking village close to Ålesund. The only one in West Norway is in the Haugesund area (Avaldsnes) but this is more close to Stavanger port and far from Ålesund.
Just so your kids don’t get a wrong impression even of the museum is still lovely and just a short public bus ride from the Ålesund port.

Following along because I am also interested in this excursion. I will be traveling with my almost 4 year old son, but I am not sure if he is too young for this.

Could anyone currently booked on this year's Norwegian fjords cruise check to see if it sold out this year? I'm curious to get a sense for availability.

Also, any additional reviews would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Did it last year. The tour part to Giske church was nice and the church itself pretty. One of the DCL photograph was on this tour and they took pictures both at Giske and Viking village. The Village experience actually took place just outside of Sunnmore. It was fairly interactive with lots to do. That said, as with most shore excursions in Norway, it was relatively expensive for what you get. Last year's stop in Alesund was quite short so most excursions were 3-4 hours at most and Sunnmore was not transformed into "Frozen village"

I’m on the 11 night cruise that stops in Alesund this year and just checked. This excursion is sold out, but was available up until silver members could book.

If you plan some time before or after your cruise to go to Sweden, there is a fantastic Viking experience on the island of Birka. You take a boat from downtown Stockholm. The island was home to actual Vikings and quite important in viking history. There is a walking tour included that tells you all about where they lived there and the history. There is also a small recreated viking village. If you go during the high season they have actors and such re-enacting there. In addition, there is a small museum and viking-themed restaurant. It's a really great experience for those interested in vikings. https://www.birkavikingastaden.se/en/

If you plan some time before or after your cruise to go to Sweden, there is a fantastic Viking experience on the island of Birka. You take a boat from downtown Stockholm. The island was home to actual Vikings and quite important in viking history. There is a walking tour included that tells you all about where they lived there and the history. There is also a small recreated viking village. If you go during the high season they have actors and such re-enacting there. In addition, there is a small museum and viking-themed restaurant. It's a really great experience for those interested in vikings. https://www.birkavikingastaden.se/en/

That sounds FANTASTIC. Thank you for this info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter