• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaskans Thawing and Eating 12/03-16/2008 on the DDP

DodgerMessa

DdogerMessa
After Lurking the DIS for about a year I am going to attempt making a food review. I am an addicted Foodie. I will eat anything! My DW is a picky eater but will sometimes taste some of the things I am eating. My DS will eat anything as long as it is Cheese Pizza and Ice Water with lots of Ice. My DW and I were able to beg, plead and bargain with him to try some new things on this trip.
The first night we ate at Raglan Road. This place is GREAT!!! The food was perfect!

We had the Dinner Rolls which were a Bran type dinner Roll with a oil, Guinness and Maple type dip.
DSCN0282.jpg

DW had the Serious Sirloin Steak - 10 oz sirloin topped with Irish whiskey glazed, drizzled with fresh basil oil. Served with mashed potatoes and topped with crispy fried onion strings. Well Done (Heathen!). She stated that she really liked it.
DSCN0284.jpg

DS had the Crispy Shrimp - Succulent deep fried shrimp served with choice of a side: garden veggies, fresh salad with ranch dressing, mashed potato, or Irish chips. He said that it was good but it wasn't a tummy filler.
DSCN0286.jpg

I had a the Short Rib Special. I could not find the description of this dish on any of the online menu's. It was a very tender roasted short rib (touch it with a fork tender) on top of mash potatoes with a touch of horseradish served in its own pot, accompanied by roasted carrots and parsnips. This dish was delicious and had a perfect blending of flavors.
DSCN0285.jpg

DW and I had Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding (Sorry no photo. Sweet tooth kicked and lost my mind.). This was an incredible desert that allowed me to dictate the flavor I wanted from it by the use of the 2 sauces provided.

The atmosphere was great! They had a Irish pub band playing and an Irish table dancer. Put this together with the Great food and as many Black & Tans I could drink it was a great first night.

I'm in!!!

How old is your son? My 7-year-old ate a lot of pizza on our last trip... but he likes chocolate milk slightly better than water, water is usually his first choice at home (I don't let him have that much chocolate milk around here, but he gets anything he wants on vacation!)

We spent our Second Day at Disney Hollywood Studios. It was a Beautiful 75 degree day. It was in the single digits back home. On the way over to the park we saw 2 escapees from Thanksgiving walking through traffic.
DSCN0277.jpg

When we went to the Rockin' Roller Coaster we saw Pop Music Star and American Idol Contestant David Archuletta filming a promo for the American Idol Experience. The promo was part of the WDW Christmas Parade taping.
DSCN0356.jpg

We ate Counter Service at the Backlot Express. Nothing Special. Wasn't worth photographing.

We decided 6 months ago that we would use 2 Dinner Credits and eat at the Hollywood Brown Derby to Celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and our DS 1st visit. DW and I Honeymooned at WDW.
DSCN0348.jpg
DSCN0362.jpg

The server was aware that it was our Anniversary because it was included in our reservation and we had the Big Disney Buttons on our lanyards. The Server took our pic.
DSCN0365.jpg

The Sever brought us Complimentary Champagne.
DSCN0370.jpg

She also let us have complimentary Appetizers. DW had the Market Greens Salad with asparagus, tomato grapes, candied pecans, midnight moon goat cheese and cabernet vinaigrette. She said it was excellent. She really liked the candied nuts.
DSCN0372.jpg

I had the Blue Jumbo Lump Crab Cake with Potato Crust, green cabbage slaw, dijon mustard and remoulade sauces. The flavor and texture combinations were perfectly matched within each component of this dish.
DSCN0373.jpg
DSCN0374.jpg

My DW had Split Roasted Half Chicken - Served with rice pilaf, almond cranberry polonaise, and maple vinegar sauce. She said she enjoyed it very much and enjoyed the presentation.
DSCN0375.jpg

DS had Grilled Breast of Chicken - Served with BBQ sauce, red potatoes, Broccoli and carrots. He ate all except the potatoes. He doesn't like potatoes (Weird).
DSCN0377.jpg

I had the Pan Fired Black Grouper - With Provencal vegetables, crispy capers, and citrus juices. Loved it. Perfect Meal!
DSCN0378.jpg

We finished off the meal with absolutely Great Deserts. DW had the Grapefruit Cake - Light layers of yellow cake with fresh grapefruit cream cheese icing. She saw this on the Dis and wanted to try it. She was not disappointed. It was light and had just the right amount of Grapefruit flavor.
DSCN0382.jpg

I had the Pumpkin Cheesecake, with a pumpkin seed brittle and a carmel sauce. i cannot find this on any of the posted menu's. It was Excellent!
DSCN0384.jpg

DS finished off his night with a treat from Goofy's Candy Company. 3 Marshmallows covered in Dark Chocolate, Mini M&M's and sprinkles. He say's it is the best treat ever created in WDW.
DSCN0398.jpg

Day 3 Magic Kingdom......

I'm in!!!

How old is your son? My 7-year-old ate a lot of pizza on our last trip... but he likes chocolate milk slightly better than water, water is usually his first choice at home (I don't let him have that much chocolate milk around here, but he gets anything he wants on vacation!)

DS is 9. He has liked only Ice Water since he was 5 years old. We can't get him to drink anything else and we're good with that. It is just a little different.

Awesome reviews and pictures, your son is a cutie pie!

DH and I have been kicking around the Brown Derby for our Oct trip and I think you just cemented the deal so thank you!

Awesome reviews and pictures, your son is a cutie pie!

DH and I have been kicking around the Brown Derby for our Oct trip and I think you just cemented the deal so thank you!

Thanks soo much! We think DS is Cute too.

The Hollywood Brown Derby was an excellent experience and had GREAT service.

We woke up bright and early to go to Crystal Palace for Breakfast. It was OK. Typical buffet fare. We did the early Breakfast to be able to have DS get easy Character photos and so we could be at the front of the line once.
DSCN0453.jpg
DSCN0404.jpg
DSCN0409.jpg

We ate lunch at Cosmic Rays. It was great counter service. I could not find a photo. I probably ate it.
DW and I went to O'hana's on our Honeymoon 10 years ago and really liked it so we made sure to go again this time.
DSCN0462.jpg

We started the night with the obligatory Lapu Lapu
DSCN0465.jpg

Followed it up with a Magical Star Cocktail - X-Fusion Organic Mango and Passion Fruit Liqueur, Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Pineapple Juice and a glow cube.
DSCN0469.jpg

DS Had the Ice Water with Lots of Ice and a Glow Cube
DSCN0463.jpg

Had fun with the Glow Cubes
DSCN0478.jpg

Forgot to take pictures of the Macadamia Bread, Sticky Wings, Noodles, salad and vegetables. All were good but nothing special. We did really enjoy the proteins coming out on skewers.
DSCN0474.jpg

The Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Banana Foster sauce was incredible. My DW and I absolutely loved it!
DSCN0479.jpg

My DS really enjoyed his Create your own Sundae.
DSCN0482.jpg

Day 4.... Animal Kingdom

DS is a cutie! Cant wait for more reviews!

My goodness your son is adorable! Great review so far, looking forward to more!

Day 4 brought counter service at Flame Tree BBQ. This and Cosmic Rays are my favorite Counter Service... My DW and I each had 1/2 Slab of St. Louis Ribs served with baked beans and corn muffin. Not the the super finest ribs that I have had in my life but, we really enjoyed them.

DSCN0560.jpg

We Decided to go to the Animal Kingdom Resort to eat at Boma.
DSCN0621.jpg

They treated us like Royalty. Our drinks were always full, our needs were always checked on and the empty plates always cleared. They gave us a card for our anniversary that was had an anniversary greeting written and signed by staff in their native language.
DSCN0623.jpg

Started out the night with a Passion Fruit Mojito (I was just being Passionate) - Bacardi Rum, X-Fusion Mango and Passionfruit Liqueur, Lime, Fresh Mint and topped off with Soda Water.
DSCN0628.jpg

Even though the food was buffet style it was different and was presented/documented well. I am sorry I didn't get the food descriptions with the food but it was goooood!!
DSCN0625.jpg
DSCN0629.jpg

We finished the meal with Zebra Domes... I wish I took a picture but, I think the camera would have gotten in the way I would have eaten it.

Day 5 Epcot.

Great start. I can't wait for more! I am so glad I chose Brown Derby for my birthday dinner after seeing more pics and another great review.

Great start. I can't wait for more! I am so glad I chose Brown Derby for my birthday dinner after seeing more pics and another great review.

You won't be sorry with that choice. Make sure you wear a Birthday button and it is listed on your reservation that it is your Birthday.

I'm really enjoying your reviews and pics. Looking forward to more.

Thank You

enjoying your reviews and photos!

Thank You.

Welcome to our Epcot Day. We started the day with a visit to Club Cool and the customary taste of Beverly and other Coca Cola concoctions.
DSCN0695.jpg

and me with the Beverly Look.
DSCN0697.jpg
Tastes great at the beginning and gets nasty at the end. Here's a pic of the other selections.
DSCN0698.jpg
. The overall opinion was the Costa-Rican selection was the best, except for DS who only likes Ice Water.

After visiting several attractions we ate at Sunshine Seasons. We really enjoyed the selection and variety. DW had the Mongolian Ginger Beef, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Udon Noodles and White Rice. She said she would give it a solid "B". DS had the Chicken Leg, Rice Pilaf and Glazed Carrots. He said he really liked it. I had a half a chicken, mash potatoes (Skins on) and green beans. I really enjoyed it.
DSCN0700.jpg

This was also the day that DS discovered the Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Mickey. He wore/ate at least one of these everyday from this point forward.
DSCN0730.jpg
DSCN0731.jpg

I had to try the Fiesta Margarita. It was a good flavor combo, but, I think $9.00 is a little expensive. I only had 2.
DSCN0745.jpg

With my DW being of Norway ancestry and her relatives fond of Norse Cuisine she had to stop by the Kringla Bakeri og Cafe and have a Cloudberry Horn and have her photo taken for her relatives.
DSCN0754.jpg

Next up. Day 5 pt 2. Coral Reef

DS is a "Fish Nut". He has 3 aquariums and can identify most aquarium fish on sight. Last Summer we went to Colorado and ate at the Aquarium Restaurant. DS was captivated. So when we told DS that Epcot had a similar restaurant, Coral Reef, he begged to go. When we arrived we felt let down by the small aquarium exposure and not being able to get close seating to the aquarium. The food was a "B" average. DS had the usual Cheese Pizza.
DSCN0783.jpg

DW had the Grilled Mahi Mahi - served with cashew-jasmine rice topped with a spicy pineapple chutney finished with a malibu rum beurre blanc. She liked it.
DSCN0780.jpg

I had a dish of the Specials Menu and I cannot find it on any of the online menus. I was Seared Grouper over a Mushroom Risotto with a citrus sauce. It was a good flavor/texture combination.
DSCN0781.jpg

DS had the Create Your Own Sundae.
Before
DSCN0787.jpg
Middle
DSCN0789.jpg
I didn't take an After picture because that would be gross.

DW had the Creme Brulee. She liked it.
DSCN0784.jpg

I had the Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse - topped with a ganache and chocolate cigar. I LOVED it!!! Sorry it is sideways. Don't hurt your neck!
DSCN0786.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter