alaska- july vs august

jack87891

Mouseketeer
is one month better than the other to go on the cruise? we heard may and june could be colder so we are looking at july or august. the last two weeks of august have better pricing. are there any weather advantages to July vs August or vice versa?

We went the first week of July this year and had great weather. We did not have any rain on port days at all. Temps were on the warm end for the season, so we were able to go in jeans and t-shirts or light jackets at the most during the day. I have read that there is more wildlife movement later in the season, so that may be something you want to consider. That would be the only reason we would consider going in August in the future.

Jill

Here's a weather chart that might help:

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/alaska/juneau/

Of course those are just averages. Your cruise may vary. If I remember right, the hills around Anchorage had a light snow the 3rd week of August this year. The locals call it "termination dust" because it signals the end of tourism season.

The reason the cruise is cheaper the second half of August could also be that a lot of kids are already back in school by then, or families are getting ready for school instead of cruising. :confused3

It's hit or miss really weather wise. July will most likely be warmer than August, as the temps start getting cooler again in august. We went to Sitka for the 4th of July this year and it was in the low 50s and rain. In anchorage we had a warmer than usual summer with temps in the 70s, and then we had a first early snow in September with some termination dust (snow on the mountains) in late august. The kids go back to school in early-mid August. Prices may be cheaper because it's towards the end of tourist season and kids are back in school.

Be aware that excursions and outings are more expensive here than in the Caribbean and Bahamas, as you're in the US and folks are making a higher minimum wage, tourism is a big industry, and everything is more expensive to begin with. That all being said, we live here and we're doing the repositioning cruise in May and the first Alaska sailing in 2014. Happy cruising!

I forgot to mention that either one you decide on--pack for dressing in layers.

OP - I know you didn't ask about June but you mentioned it being colder. I agree, historically I had read that too but I wanted to comment that the weather can be so unpredictable. We cruised 6/17-6/23/2013 and the weather was almost too warm for us :) It was in the high 60's, low 70's in Vancouver the 2 days prior to the trip and then most of the cruise again the same, but slightly cooler. Tracy Arm was the only day I needed my DCL hoodie and gloves but again, no extra layers. We only wore our tshirts or long sleeved shirts and our very light water proof Northface jackets. We also did not have a *single* drop of rain the entire cruise. I do remember reading Alaska had a warmer season than normal last year but we were very pleased with June.

Have fun,
Heather

I forgot to mention that either one you decide on--pack for dressing in layers.

This is the most important piece to remember for Alaska cruises. We had a hike to Mendenhall Glacier last year and went back and forth with layers several times just that day. Elevation and then the ice made a big difference at times. You will never know what the weather will be like so pack for all situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter