Alaska Excursions--post your reviews here!

Skagway - We did the White Pass Railroad and Liarsville show. The train trip was magnificent - our kids (6 and 8) absolutely loved it. Narration occurred at various points on the trip (it was not constant) and added immensely to the experience. We were able to go outside the cars (on the platforms that connected the cars), which was both refreshing and exhilarating. We were outside when going through one of the tunnels, which delighted the kids. Although I'm not one for buying souvenirs, I bought the DVD/baseball cap package for $20. The train stopped in Fraser, B.C., where a Canadian customs agent did a very cursory check of our passports. We got on a tour bus, and travelled to Liarsville (our bus driver's name was Davey--he was the best, and made the bus ride a ton of fun!). One word of warning: if you have to go to the washroom, do it on the train or on the bus - facilities are limited in Liarsville, and we missed the first part of the show due to bathroom breaks. The Liarsville show was good... some singing, then a Robert Service poetry reading that was truly amazing (and this is from someone who doesn't like poetry). After that we panned for gold, which thrilled the kids (although you only get 3-4 flakes!)

Juneau - Didn't do any of the Disney excursions, but went up the Mt. Roberts Tramway on our own. Truly magnificent views.

Ketchican - Didn't do any excursions, but "toured" the gift shops. If you're looking for Alaskan souvenirs, I'd say Ketchican probably had the best selection (although there were a lot that were "made in China").

Skagway - We did the adventure park zip line excursion. We enjoyed it a lot. Fewer lines (and less expensive for it) than the Mammoth zip line, but still a great experience.

Juneau - we took the bus from the boat over to town and then took a public shuttle bus from there to the Mendenhall glacier. It was so beautiful. A great place to explore. This was one of the highlights for me personally out of all my port experiences.

Ketchikan - we walked to Starbucks in the Safeway so that I could add to my collection of Starbucks mugs and get the Alaskan one. :) It was the only Starbucks on the trip that I could access easily from port. I didn't get a good impression of the city compared to the other ports we visited. It seemed like the air was more polluted and the buildings hadn't been very well taken care of. We were glad for the sun though.

Ketchikan -- we did the Bering Sea Crab Fishing Boat tour. This was the best excursion of the trip. They did a nice job with the tour. They have several differernt types of pots already soaking with crabs in them. They go to each pot and show you how they throw the hook, bring up the pot then they show you the crabs (and any other sea life that wanders in). You can take pictures with the crew and crabs. Then they close up the pot and drop it back in the bay. While going from spot to spot, they tell you fishing stories. Some of our party didn't want to do it because they were afraid of being seasick -- wasn't a problem you don't go too far out and are in the bay the whole time so the water is pretty smooth.

Did they have any crab for you to eat?

Skagway - We did the White Pass Railroad and Liarsville show. The train trip was magnificent - our kids (6 and 8) absolutely loved it. Narration occurred at various points on the trip (it was not constant) and added immensely to the experience. We were able to go outside the cars (on the platforms that connected the cars), which was both refreshing and exhilarating. We were outside when going through one of the tunnels, which delighted the kids. Although I'm not one for buying souvenirs, I bought the DVD/baseball cap package for $20. The train stopped in Fraser, B.C., where a Canadian customs agent did a very cursory check of our passports. We got on a tour bus, and travelled to Liarsville (our bus driver's name was Davey--he was the best, and made the bus ride a ton of fun!). One word of warning: if you have to go to the washroom, do it on the train or on the bus - facilities are limited in Liarsville, and we missed the first part of the show due to bathroom breaks. The Liarsville show was good... some singing, then a Robert Service poetry reading that was truly amazing (and this is from someone who doesn't like poetry). After that we panned for gold, which thrilled the kids (although you only get 3-4 flakes!)

Juneau - Didn't do any of the Disney excursions, but went up the Mt. Roberts Tramway on our own. Truly magnificent views.

Ketchican - Didn't do any excursions, but "toured" the gift shops. If you're looking for Alaskan souvenirs, I'd say Ketchican probably had the best selection (although there were a lot that were "made in China").

What is the Mt. Roberts Tramway? How did you get there? How much does it cost? TIA!

What is the Mt. Roberts Tramway? How did you get there? How much does it cost? TIA!

It's a large aerial tramway in Juneau that takes you up Mt. Roberts. It's right downtown--the shuttle bus will drop you off at the entrance. It cost $81 for a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids). See the following for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Roberts_Tramway

Here's a picture I took from the top of the tramway showing the Wonder and another cruise ship.

Ketchikan - we walked to Starbucks in the Safeway so that I could add to my collection of Starbucks mugs and get the Alaskan one. :) It was the only Starbucks on the trip that I could access easily from port. I didn't get a good impression of the city compared to the other ports we visited. It seemed like the air was more polluted and the buildings hadn't been very well taken care of. We were glad for the sun though.

Good to know! Did they have the little espresso cups or just big mugs?
How far was the walk? DH would love to get his espresso in Alaska!

Skagway - We did the adventure park zip line excursion. We enjoyed it a lot. Fewer lines (and less expensive for it) than the Mammoth zip line, but still a great experience.

Juneau - we took the bus from the boat over to town and then took a public shuttle bus from there to the Mendenhall glacier. It was so beautiful. A great place to explore. This was one of the highlights for me personally out of all my port experiences.

There's also a Starbucks in Skagway within walking distance from the ship.

I have been looking for a train/Liarsville combo. Where did you find this? HOw long was the tour? How long was the train ride? I only want to do the train ride one way. Was the drive to Liarsville long?

Thanks.

I want to book a helicopter glacier tour at Juneau. Any reviews on which one is best?
1. pilots choice
2. glacier adventure by helicopter
3. Mendenhall glacier by helicopter and guided walk

I have been looking for a train/Liarsville combo. Where did you find this? HOw long was the tour? How long was the train ride? I only want to do the train ride one way. Was the drive to Liarsville long?

Thanks.

This was the one we did: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/c...way-alaska/white-pass-railway-and-trail-camp/

The train only went one way, then we got on a bus; I think it took about 90 minutes for the train ride and 30 minutes for the bus (although the bus made frequent stops for picture opps); the stop in Liarsville was about an hour.

It's a large aerial tramway in Juneau that takes you up Mt. Roberts. It's right downtown--the shuttle bus will drop you off at the entrance. It cost $81 for a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids). See the following for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Roberts_Tramway

Here's a picture I took from the top of the tramway showing the Wonder and another cruise ship.

Wow! It looks like you had a beautiful day there. I'm going to have to see if we can fit this in, along with our other excursion. How much time should we allow?

Did they have any crab for you to eat?

No, but there was a Disney Experience excursion that was on the same tour as us that stayed to have "dinner" with the crew. The tour without dinner was expensive enough, we didn't want to pay the extra for the meal. So don't know how the meal was or if it was worth the money.

Wow! It looks like you had a beautiful day there. I'm going to have to see if we can fit this in, along with our other excursion. How much time should we allow?

I am wondering the same thing...we are doing the dog sledding and helicopter ride...I originally booked the tram through Disney because it is the same price, but I cancelled it the other day worrying that if we don't get to to do I am out the $$ and if there is time I will just pay then.

...if you do everything on schedule.

I did the helicopter ride, came back to the ship by noon, picked up our infant who was in the nursery, went to lunch, and still spent a few hours in Juneau.

Skagway - Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Experience - We thought this one was pretty lame. You spent most of the time on the bus and then modified ARMY vehicle getting up to the camp. We only spent maybe 15 minutes on the sled with a guy who spent most of his time telling us that he needed to raise money and sponsors for his Iditarod (sp?) race. Would not do this one again, but some of the scenery getting up there was nice.

Juneau - Exclusive Whale Encounter and Mendenhall Glacier - We go lucky on this one. There were maybe 30 people on the boat (a small boat) and we had several whales swim pretty close to the boat, including a mother and her calf. The highlight of the trip for us. The glacier is beautiful, but the visitor's center is pretty non-existent so if you go I would suggest actually walking out to the glacier for sure. Would definitely do this one again!

Ketchikan - no excursion. We walked the town and shopped. Great time and got some goodies! :cheer2:

For the Mount Roberts Tramway, I think I'd definitely do it on my own, especially if you have a 10, 11, or 12 year old.

From the Disney website:

Adult Price:$27 (ages 10 and up) Child Price:$13 (ages 6 through 9)

From the Mount Roberts Tramway website:

Mount Roberts Tramway Cost*:

- $27/adult; $13.50/child 6-12; Free/Child 5 & Under
* Local tax included.

Notice, Disney makes you an adult at age 10 instead of age 13! Personally, neither DS13 or DS11 are adults yet in my eyes!

Notice, Disney makes you an adult at age 10 instead of age 13! Personally, neither DS13 or DS11 are adults yet in my eyes!

I know - I've hit this with all the Disney excursions. DS is 10 and it has generally worked out cheaper (if less convenient) for us to book excursions independently. I wonder why Disney has a different "adult" age than the tour operators they are using?
:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter