AKV - Jambo or Kidani

zulaya

DIS Veteran
I haven't searched every page of every AKV thread...

When the new building ~ Kidani~ is completed in late 2008/early 2009...

When you reserve a room, can you "reserve" a room in Kidani or Jambo, specifically? Or is that still going to be a "request"?

I know that concierge rooms will all be in Jambo, but what about the rest of the reservations?

Do we know anything specific about that?

Our guide said that you could request a specific room type in either (Kidani or Jambo). You would know at the time you made the reservation which building and what type of room you would be getting.

It makes sense, you have to know where to go to check in since each will have it's own check in desk.

If I wanted to stay at Kidani (which I will), I will request that location and then the room type if it's not available then I will have to decide to pass altogether or settle for Jambo. Jambo will be popular since I think the conceirge rooms will only be located in that building.

Preliminary info suggests you will book one location or another when you reserve. It makes sense as check in is separate locations and you'll need to know where to go for check in.

Amenities will also vary from one location to another. For instance the Savannah View 1Bs at Kidani will have two bathrooms while the same room at Jambo will have a single bathroom. The floorplans will also be completely different at the two buildings, not to mention ease of access to specific dining and recreation facilities (i.e. Boma fans may want to book Jambo since it appears the walk from the far end of Kidani to Jambo could be nearly a mile.)

My thought, too, was that Kidani or Jambo would have to be part of the reservation for check-in purposes, if nothing else.
I just hadn't seen anything yet specifying.

I also thought that Value rooms might only be in Jambo House?

With regard to Boma and Jiko...I'll reserve judgment until I see what the distance, terrain, etc. will actually be like. If I'm only eating at Boma once during a stay, I'll deal with it since we typically have a rental car. I can see if you decided to eat multiple times a trip, that staying in Jambo House would be more convenient.

I'm very curious as to what the restaurant Kidani Village will have, even though it's more than a year away.

I didn't mean to sound like I was implying that you should have seen this info - there is soooo much info out there! I only quoted it so you would know it was from a reliable source! :)

newmommy, I didn't take it that way at all. Don't worry! You are right...there is a lot of info...I probably skimmed it too fast to see it and have it register the first time.

Something that might help conceptually with AKV is the artists map of the entire resort which also gives some expected conversion dates. The map can be found here: http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/resorts/resortDetail?id=ProspectsDAKVMapDirectionsPage and click on "View maps of this resort"

Note I had a problem getting it because Internet Explorer would not bring it up even with pop-up blocker off but Mozilla Firefox brought it up easily.

As you will see, AKL (two floors all around) is being converted to AKV in phases. The new Kidani building will be "close" to what is now AKL but you cannot walk through the savanna that divides them and thus walking distance from front door to front door will be about 1/2 mile. About 80% of all rooms will have a savanna view. I was told Kidani will not have value rooms.

You should also note that I was told the Kidani building will have its own valet parking. Now that I have studied the map, I realize now why they went out of their way to emphasize it would have valet parking when I talked to them: the only way to park there and not have a 1/2 to 1 mile walk to your room will be valet because the parking lot area for both resorts is only at the Jambo (currently AKL) side.

You should also note that I was told the Kidani building will have its own valet parking. Now that I have studied the map, I realize now why they went out of their way to emphasize it would have valet parking when I talked to them: the only way to park there and not have a 1/2 to 1 mile walk to your room will be valet because the parking lot area for both resorts is only at the Jambo (currently AKL) side.

FYI, not true (parking lot only at Jambo house). The current plans are to have an "underground" (not really...more "first floor") parking structure under Kidani with ancillary/overflow lots (you can see them on the map, to some extent, but better in the site plans visible on the AKV DVD...one of the "complaints" is the ancillary lot near the pool) around the building.

Just wondering... where do you get the AKV DVD? (from the last post) - sorry, I don't know how to quote!

Just wondering... where do you get the AKV DVD? (from the last post) - sorry, I don't know how to quote!

If you have a guide, call them and ask them to send you a new copy of the "dreams" book and the new DVD. That "new" DVD is what I'm calling the "AKV" DVD because it has a ton of info, including a 16 minute video covering "the making of AKV", about AKV.

If you don't have a guide, you can request the video from the dvc website. If you'd LIKE the name and number of a guide, just PM me and I'll send you the name and # of our guide.

Oh, I think I do have that... think I watched some of it. Now I will have to go look for it! Thank you!! :)

Oh, I think I do have that... think I watched some of it. Now I will have to go look for it! Thank you!! :)

Check under "Special Features". There should be one called "A Village Comes to Life", or something like that. If you have that special feature, you have the DVD I'm talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter