AKL tour - is there a cost?

CJK

DIS Veteran
I understand there's a 3:30pm tour of the AKL hotel. I've got a few questions.
1) Is this held daily?
2) Is there a cost to it?
3) Do you have to register for it or do you just show up?

Thanks for any info!

I understand there's a 3:30pm tour of the AKL hotel. I've got a few questions.
1) Is this held daily?
2) Is there a cost to it?
3) Do you have to register for it or do you just show up?

Can't exactly help you. I called the front desk for my July trip. I was told about a 9am tour M-F, no cost, no reg needed.

Hope this gives you a little help

Sandy

The week that I was at AKL (last August), the free tour was M-F at 3:30 and led by a man from South Africa. He was wonderful! Great with kids (pointing out hidden Mickey's and such). Plus kept in tune with the needs of his guests for the tour. Tailored it to fit our needs.

We were interested in animals, so he took us to one of the overlooks and told us a little about the history of the resort and the animals that were there. He shared one or two sad stories about some bad luck that they had when the park first opened. Some animals evidently were lost and the employees were devestated. All of the employees (even the ones that did not work with the animals) appear to have a genuine concern for them and their best interests.

Also, he gave us a lot of information about the art in the lobby and his homeland. He shared a little bit about how his government views the lodge and the AK theme park (actually very favorably...it seems it's good PR for them).

If you take the tour (and make it all the way to the end...about a half hour), there are several plates of free appetizers to taste and a chat with one of the chefs at Jiko's (an EXCELLENT restaurant, their food is delicious). We were told by the chef that Jiko's has the largest selection of African wines in North America and that their one restaurant sells more than 1% of the world's consumption of African wine. I hope they still do that now that the tour seemingly has been bumped to an earlier time. It was a highlight (and the tour guide knew it!).

The lodge is so sensory. Every one of your five senses is peaked.

Number One (to me) were the wonderful smells throughout the entire lodge. Part of that comes from the two restaurants (Boma and Jiko--both outstanding). But the other part of it just must be the newness of the resort. It smells so fresh.

Second (for me) the sounds. The African music softly plays in the background throughout the breathtaking lobby and even when you are on your way out to the parking lot. The music adds to the theme in a very special way.

Visually speaking, art abounds everywhere! The art in the lodge is museum quality and visually stunning.

As for touch, many things made the lodge a tactile bonanza. The wood in the lodge is so solid and sturdy. I loved holding onto the wood railing as I looked over the balcony into the five-stories-tall lobby. Some of the art can be picked up (some is encased). There's even art in your guest room. Remember to touch the work of art on the wall by the front doors, as you leave the lobby every day. It says on the sign below this artwork that you will have good luck for the day if you rub it on your way out the door.

Just a few steps from any room in the lodge are huge windows looking out over the Savannah, as well as, comfortable seating that envelopes you as you sit and take in the view. The areas are quiet, uncrowded and so pleasant. You could spend an hour or more there, just gazing at the animals.

Also, if you're interested, there's a beautiful lounge where you can order drinks and take in all the sights of the savannah.

Hope this helps! Amy

Wow, OllieDannyandMe. Thanks for the information. You really made me a lot more excited for my visits there! A little over 2 weeks and I'm on my way!

The tour is open to all...no need to be a guest of the AKL. Sure do hope they still offer the treats from the restaurant to you all. That was the cherry on the sundae :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter