AKL or Poly?

princesspiglet

DIS Veteran
Just a few days ago we were trying to decide between the values! Well, my DH has decided that since is probably the only time we will stay onsite (my parents have a timeshare at Vacation Village) we should go deluxe. We just can't decide between the two! We think DD4 would love the animals at AKL, but she would probably love the volcano pool at Poly also. Plus having quick access to MK is a plus for the Poly. However, it is quite a price differnce and I don't want to break the bank.. Of those that have stayed at both, which one do you like the best and why? Oh, we are going over Thanksgiving next year for my DD's birthday!

Not only does Poly have the monorail and boat to MK, it also is next door to the TTC, so you can walk to the EPCOT and MK direct monorails as well.

Aside from transportation options, though, there is probably not a whole lot of substantive difference between these two deluxes. I would ask myself, do I want to pay the extra for the more varied and faster transport options? For us, with 2 very young DD's, it's worth the money. It doesn't hurt that we love the Poly.

Have you considered WL? It's truly a spectacular resort, and at least has the boat to MK. It was designed by the same architects as AKL. I'd consider it. WL is actually our favorite resort, but we chose Poly this time because of the proximity to the TTC monorails. WL should be priced the same as AKL, or at least it was last time I checked.

Stay at the resort that appeals to you the most.
They are both great resorts.
Sometimes it takes longer to get to a park using a monorail instead of a bus.
Of course some people just prefer the monorail even if it takes longer.
Some people think AK is too far from the parks but Ak is a lot closer than many think.
I know it is hard to decide. Disney has so many choices!
Here are some transportation times to help you make an informed decision.

Transportation times according to PassPorter.com:

AKL ---------------Poly
MK-----20 min.----Mk---10min (mono)-5min.(boat)
Epcot---15 min.---Epcot--10min (walk)+10min (mono)(=20min. total)
MGM----10 min.---MGM --15min.
AK------5 min.----Ak--15min.
DTD----15 min---DTD--25 min

Hope that helps.
Have fun at Disney wherever you stay!
Linda ::MinnieMo

What a happy dilemna! You've narrowed it down to my two favorites! I think both have equally great pools and sit-down restaurants.
Atmosphere is a matter of opinion, but for me, nothing beats the AKL. It is also the favorite resort of my DD. We LOVE the room decor, the beauty of the lodge and the savannahs. A favorite activity at AKL is watching the giraffes from our balcony. They also have hot tubs, a kids playground, and lots of kid activities. Special activities include nightly storytelling around the firepit and watching the animals through night vision goggles. AKL was rated the #1 Family Resort on Travel Channel's World's Best List.
The Polynesian also has beautiful grounds, with a tropical feel. The tropical theme isn't particularly unique, but looking over the lagoon to Cinderella's castle sure is! A favorite activity at the Polynesian is sitting on the beach at night and watching the Electric Water Pageant. I wasn't impressed with the room decor on my first visit, but they are being refurbished, so I expect they'll be much improved. Another plus for the Polynesian is the fun and convenience of taking the monorail. If you do have a chance to take the monorail, be sure to ask for the chance to sit up front - it is a blast.
They both offer so much...is it an option to split your stay between the two? This might depend on the length of your trip and when you arrive. Value season begins 11/26 next year. What are your travel dates?

We've been to both and maybe this will help you..

1. If you plan on going again to DW and think you can afford it better in the future trips then go with AKL.

2. If you think you'll have more children, go with AKL and save the Poly for when you'll really want that monorail to save your backs from carrying them all! :)

The great plus to the Poly is the room size (more important when you have more children) and the monorail (also more important when you're trying to keep up with more munchkins)....
AKL has a lot of charm and if I were doing it with one child would be nice to stay at because the rooms are small and if you add another child in there it would be kinda crowded....so enjoy it now while ya got one! :)
Tara

Hummm...you might want to look down at my signature block to see how we handle the same question. 60% of our trip at the PR and 40% at the AKL.

While I love AKL, spent 6 nights here in 2004. I have to say I did not feel that Disney Magic while at this resort.

It a beautiful resort and I'll probably stay here again someday.

This October we will be returning to the Poly with our 2 GD. Can't wait! I love this resort.

The kid activities at the AKL are outstanding. We think the best on property. If you will be able to spend any time at the resort, itself, these are well worth the time. They are scheduled throughout the day and week. The guides are from Africa and they are all wonderful.

The rooms, though, at the AKL, are smaller than the Poly. Although we found them very adequate for two adults and one child. I think you will like either resort. We didn't find it all that far on transportation from the AKL to any of the parks. I

Our DS absolutely loves to get up and watch the animals. We are animal lovers though and have done many, many, zoos, wild animal parks, etc. so we have a definite leaning. That being said, the Poly is also very unique and has a special charm all of its own.

What a great decision to have to make! Let us know what you decide.

Thanks everyone. What great advice! I think we have decided to split our stay. We will be there for 10 nights (From Nov 24-Dec 3) so we are going to do 5 first at AKL and the last 5 at the Poly. We are going to do the parks based on proximity. While at AKL, we will go to AK, MGM and DD. While at Poly, we will go to MK and Epcot and MK again! We are so excited. We are definetly going back to the world again :banana: . We usually go every 2 years, however, my parents own a timeshare at Vacation Village and we always stay there with them, so this may be our only trip onsite. Thanks for all the great advice!
We can't wait!

That is great! You will love the AKL and the Poly is next on our list. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Don't forget to eat at Boma and O'hana for me!

Princesspiglet - we will be at the AKL from the 27th through the 3rd so it looks like we might overlap one day. We are at the POFQ from the 24th-27th as it is my parents favorite resort ... and ours is the AKL. Perhaps we will run into you...be sure to take advantage of the kids activities. Last year they had an afternoon activity where the kids could make Christmas ornaments using ostrich eggs. It cost $2 and we had a great time. It was wonderful. The storytelling is also great and the African music (usually in the evening) is lots of fun for the kids ... and the adults get a kick out of watching. But bring your earplugs as the kids can really get the music humming. I'm sure you will have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter