• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL not sleeping 5 anymore?

Mickey'sfriend

DIS Veteran
I read on another post that AKL no longer has deluxe bunkbed rooms that sleep 5. Did they take out the sleeper sofas from these rooms or have they all been converted to DVC units???? We had considered AKL for next summer because we are a family of 5. Anyone know for sure???!!! Thanks!:)

I read on another post that AKL no longer has deluxe bunkbed rooms that sleep 5. Did they take out the sleeper sofas from these rooms or have they all been converted to DVC units???? We had considered AKL for next summer because we are a family of 5. Anyone know for sure???!!! Thanks!:)

All converted to DVC so you would either have to get a DVC unit or a suite or 2 rooms. Sorry, I think it was a dumb move on their part but what do I know:rolleyes1

That is a real bummer! Having a queen bed, bunkbeds and a sleeper was a great setup!! I guess we're headed to the CR! (Not like that is a hardship or anything!!):goodvibes Thanks for the info.

I think it is just plain yuck on Disney's part not to offer more accomodations for families of 5. It's not like that's a huge amount of people either. I only have one child, but heaven help ya if you have more.

Disney will forever curse us with our family of 5. Our last trip we stayed at POP and added one kid to my parent's connecting room. That really saved us some $. The idea of bunkbeds instead of another bed is fabulous for kids, especially when they don't like to share beds. My kids would rather sleep on the floor than share a bed. Not sure why they don't offer bunkbeds in any of the other resorts. Seems like a family friendly thing to do, IMO.

Family of 5 here as well...youngest DD is still 14mth..so we have a bit of time with a pack n play....I think its ironic how there are reasonably priced deluxes, AKl and WL..but only sleep 4!?!
Our friends who can easily afford a week at GF, wanted WL....but they are 5 too, so they stayed at the Poly. My DS14 and DD10 will NOT sleep together, so that is a prob too! So connecting rooms at POP work great..and they loved it!
Even when we buy a smaller point DVC resale....we will still have the same issue with studio or 1 bdr accomodations..so the guide said bring an aerobed for one of the older kids!
I think the Ft Wilderness cabins look great too!

Family of 5 here as well...youngest DD is still 14mth..so we have a bit of time with a pack n play....I think its ironic how there are reasonably priced deluxes, AKl and WL..but only sleep 4!?!
Our friends who can easily afford a week at GF, wanted WL....but they are 5 too, so they stayed at the Poly. My DS14 and DD10 will NOT sleep together, so that is a prob too! So connecting rooms at POP work great..and they loved it!
Even when we buy a smaller point DVC resale....we will still have the same issue with studio or 1 bdr accomodations..so the guide said bring an aerobed for one of the older kids!
I think the Ft Wilderness cabins look great too!

That guide gave you bad advice. A DVC studio will only sleep four (plus one under the age of three). Currently DVC does allow five in a one bedroom, but they do not provide the additional bedding or towels for the fifth person. You'll have to bring your own. This could change since they are building one bedrooms at AKV that DO sleep five with the addition of the twin sized sleeper chair in the living room. They could easily go back to only four in a one bedroom.

Deb & Bill..can you help clarify? (Sorry to OP if going a bit off topic)
My guide stated...with our current family dynamic..DS14, DD10 and DD14 mths, DH and I) that we could utilize a 1BDR or Studio..w/youngest DD in pack n play...and use an aerobed if we so choose since the older DD and DS dont like sleeping together....is this allowed?
Realizing that by the time youngest DD is 3..DS will be 17 and older and may not be on every trip etc.....This is how the guide was explaining to me how a studio or 1 BDr could work, cause my thoughts are...we will probably always need a 2 bdr....which as most know....points, points points!!!
Of course she pointed out AKL with the new sleeping arrangements for 5 if you will....
Anyway, thanks for any feedback...our tour is next Sat..although we have been watching resales closely.

Back to topic at hand.....maybe the new 4 Seasons will accomodate families of 5!!

My guide stated...with our current family dynamic..DS14, DD10 and DD14 mths, DH and I) that we could utilize a 1BDR or Studio..w/youngest DD in pack n play...and use an aerobed if we so choose since the older DD and DS dont like sleeping together....is this allowed?
Realizing that by the time youngest DD is 3..DS will be 17 and older and may not be on every trip etc.....This is how the guide was explaining to me how a studio or 1 BDr could work, cause my thoughts are...we will probably always need a 2 bdr....which as most know....points, points points!!!
Of course she pointed out AKL with the new sleeping arrangements for 5 if you will....
Anyway, thanks for any feedback...our tour is next Sat..although we have been watching resales closely.

Back to topic at hand.....maybe the new 4 Seasons will accomodate families of 5!!

We had 5 in a one bedroom last June. We don't own but rented points. So, they allow it at this point. Who knows what they will do in the future.

The lack of extra bedding was a non-issue for us and we had plenty of space for the 5 of us. It was great compared to the regular rooms we had stayed in with the 5 of us.

Thanks Allison.....I do think a 2 bdr would be too big for us..we would never see our kids..lol

With a family of 5, as long as the youngest one is still under the age of three when you check in, you can stay in an AKL room that sleeps four. You can stay in a Pop Century room. You can stay in a CS room.

But once that littlest one hits three, you need a room that legally sleeps 5.

All the DVC literature you get when you purchase DVC, states that the one bedroom and studio only sleep 4, the 2 bedroom sleeps 8 and the grand villa sleeps 12.

I hate that this happened and have pondered of changing my user ID to AKLSUX (kidding, of course) because my family of 5 is now limited at AKL when we weren't for over 6 years.

Why couldn't they have just constructed a stand alone DVC unit at AKL like they did at BC and WL?:sad1:

Anyone can book a room at AKLodge villas- by the way, the names of the DVC resorts have been changed from DVC resorts to "deluxe villas" so that more people are aware that you don't have to be a DVC member to choose these accomodations. This way you can not only comfortably have a room there that sleeps five but also the other amenities such as microwave, fridge, toaster, etc. Disney's other "answer" to larger families are the ASMusic family suites. I have six in my family but know what you mean about the "extra" child that makes it tougher. ---Kathy

The guide was correct in telling you that as long as your DD is under 3, you'll all fit in a studio/1 bedroom and after your DD is over3, as long as your older DS doesn't come you'll all fit in. I don't have any experience with squeezing 5 into a 1 bedroom, I personally think it's a little tight with 4, and would love to get a 2 bedroom all the time, but since we seem to go as Spring Break for about 10 days, that eats up all our points for the year. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd buy at AKL if you want to buy in, that way you'll always beable to guarantee being to get 5 in a 1 bedroom, whereas at the other propertied, it's not guaranteed and in the DVC public offering isn't even mentioned as an option, so can be changed at any time and is not something to be relied upon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter