• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL concierge over WL concierge??? Help me decide

grannyminnie

DIS Veteran
Ok, here it is...I've got a hold on an AKL concierge room for Dec. but am having second thoughts about it. I visited, and really liked, WL concierge earlier this year, and wanted to go there again. The CM could only offer me a AAA discount for the AKL. BTW, I'm getting the room for $276, and I'm assuming that's pretty good for a concierge room!
Any of you out there that have done both, or even only one, and have comments to help push me one way or the other, I'd be grateful!
Oh, and one more thing...we do plan on spending a good bit of time at the lodge, and will most likely only do one park. Probably either MGM or EPCOT this time, since we did MK in Feb.
HELP!!!

Ok, here it is...I've got a hold on an AKL concierge room for Dec. but am having second thoughts about it. I visited, and really liked, WL concierge earlier this year, and wanted to go there again. The CM could only offer me a AAA discount for the AKL. BTW, I'm getting the room for $276, and I'm assuming that's pretty good for a concierge room!
Any of you out there that have done both, or even only one, and have comments to help push me one way or the other, I'd be grateful!
Oh, and one more thing...we do plan on spending a good bit of time at the lodge, and will most likely only do one park. Probably either MGM or EPCOT this time, since we did MK in Feb.
HELP!!!

There is so much to do at AKL and so many places to view the animals, I would definitely choose AKL. We've stayed at WLV but not concierge and much prefer AKL. The concierge and IPO staff at AKL are the absolute best too! Plus, the restaurants at AKL - Boma and Jiko - are fabulous. Easier to get to the parks too - no bus sharing at AKL.

Wl club level is great! the staff is awesome especially Lisa. THe food is good to. We had a bunk room facing the MK and we could see the fireworks at night. We hada great stay. With all the consturction at AKL I would go with WL.

HELP!!!

Hi Granny Minnie - Another Granny Minnie is about to give you her thoughts on your posted questions. Yet bet you got a good price for concierge at the AKL. Non-discounted rates run from $285 up depending on season for a Savannah view, and the Standard view from $215. You're getting concierge for $9 more than a regular Savannah view. I don't have the rates for concierge at this time. Good Work!!!

We've stayed at both resorts, and like them equally. Never had any problems at either. Both offer all the ammenities, great dining, fun pools, and nice places to grab a bite. I guess it would depend on your feelings as to whether you would like to stay in an African (AKL) themed resort or the rustic theme of the American northwest (WL). Transportation from both resorts would be via bus. In my opinion, you will enjoy your accommodations no matter which of the two resorts you choose.

Hope I've helped - Dizzie For Disney _

I have stayed WL twice but never AKL. But at WL, you can take the boat to MK. That was a nice bonus. And every night at 9pm, we would see the Electric Light Parade on the water (could see it on OUR balcony), as well as the fireworks from MK.

I have the same decision to make for our next trip too and I think I am staying with WL.

I love both :love: and would stay in either again in a heartbeat, but in December I'd pick the WL - love the Xmas decorations when you look over the balcony of the CL lounge (plus I think WL just feels more Christmas-y :goodvibes ), plus the all the construction at the AKL means you might have quite a trek to the CL lounge (right now the lounge is still on the 6th floor, but the CL rooms on 5th and 6th floors are closed, and CL guests are down on 3rd and 4th floors) plus construction noise, etc. especially if you plan to stay around the resort a lot this time ....

JMHO though!
:dance3:

HELP!!!
May I ask what dates in 12/07 you are going? I have had an AAA package booked for over 6 monthes and call regularly for a room only standard AKL CL room and have never been able to get a AAA rate. I was assuming that AKL CL rooms may not be available for AAA rates because of the DVC renovations.
Thanks!!!!!!:)

May I ask what dates in 12/07 you are going? I have had an AAA package booked for over 6 monthes and call regularly for a room only standard AKL CL room and have never been able to get a AAA rate. I was assuming that AKL CL rooms may not be available for AAA rates because of the DVC renovations.
Thanks!!!!!!:)

Leaving Nov. 29 and staying three nights...
Keep calling..somebody's bound to cancel. Or it could be that I was luckier leaving the last of Nov.??

Ok...the die is cast! We're staying at AKL concierge (unless I switch again, which I have been known to do more than twice in a trip-planning session!) because of the price plus food! It didn't make sense to turn that down, considering we're only going to one park probably, so will be there to enjoy the lounge.
I know there'll be construction noise, but when I had my DGD there in April, we hardly heard it, except at the pool, and even then it was minimal. If we get a noisy location, I'll just politely insist on being moved!!!
Thanks for all your comments! I still adore the WL but they did not have the AAA availability at that time.

Ok...the die is cast! We're staying at AKL concierge (unless I switch again, which I have been known to do more than twice in a trip-planning session!) because of the price plus food! It didn't make sense to turn that down, considering we're only going to one park probably, so will be there to enjoy the lounge.
I know there'll be construction noise, but when I had my DGD there in April, we hardly heard it, except at the pool, and even then it was minimal. If we get a noisy location, I'll just politely insist on being moved!!!
Thanks for all your comments! I still adore the WL but they did not have the AAA availability at that time.

Hi, Grannyminnie, this is Dizzie For Disney writing once again. Forgot when writing on your last post you stated "I'd Live In The Castle If I Could"?? Hope I got that right. By the time of your visit, you may be able to live in the castle, as the Cinderella Suite was just completed not too long ago. I'm local Disney and there was a lot of fan fare about it. They didn't give dates as to when it would be open for public rental, but it's going to happen and I know bookings will be hard to get. Since you are like every other Grannie, who changes her mind quite often, you may want to call Central Reservations to get more information, you may just get lucky. If you do get lucky, please let me know how you enjoyed it. Should I reach the goal before you, I will drop you a note.

Will keep you in mind re your AK trip for late November trip. If I hear of any AAA discounts - will update you. By the way, if you have AARP, you might inquire as to member discounts offered. Discounts during the time of year you will be here are quite often hard to find due to the Thanksgiving - Christmas holiday season.

DIZZIE FOR DISNEY, would you please expound on what you do know about the public being able to stay?
I figured that when we were there from the 29 Nov. to 2 Dec., it would still be being "given away" in the YOMD promo. I always told my sis that if the public is allowed to book it for the night, I would do it if the price is within reason!!

I am trying to get AAA rate for AKL concierge 12/19-22. The CM told me concierge never has AAA rates. Hmmm. I don't understand how Grannyminnie got a AAA rate, but definitely use it! Also, the CM told me there are no bunk beds for the concierge rooms. Is that correct? I decided to reserve the concierge level at rack rate ($365.63 inc. tax) instead of taking the bunk bed room at AAA rate ($272.54 inc. tax) I'm hoping a discount will be offered in the future that I'll be able to use.

DIZZIE FOR DISNEY, would you please expound on what you do know about the public being able to stay?
I figured that when we were there from the 29 Nov. to 2 Dec., it would still be being "given away" in the YOMD promo. I always told my sis that if the public is allowed to book it for the night, I would do it if the price is within reason!!

Hi - Dizzie Again - It is my understanding from the initial announcement , the suite would initially be given to selected individuals, chosen at random, with the stipulation the stay had to start within a short time frame of when you were chosen, and could not be used at a future time. It is a part of the YOMD promo, but it was not stated at that time, whether or not the "castle give away" part of the promo would last until the end of the year. I have a few contacts at Disney and will get the best current information I can, and pass it on to you.

Hi DIZZIE...your post yest. tempted me to call Guest Services and ask about the public rental of the castle suite..
the CM could only tell me that it would continue to be the prize for YOMD until the end of the year, and that yes, it would be rented out to the public later, but at a large cost. Don't know how large...he only said something like "the most expensive room on the property". (Which, I figure would put it above the Walt Disney suite at the GF...ya think??)
At any rate, keep me posted. I still want the option to choose it!!

I am trying to get AAA rate for AKL concierge 12/19-22. The CM told me concierge never has AAA rates. Hmmm. I don't understand how Grannyminnie got a AAA rate, but definitely use it! Also, the CM told me there are no bunk beds for the concierge rooms. Is that correct? I decided to reserve the concierge level at rack rate ($365.63 inc. tax) instead of taking the bunk bed room at AAA rate ($272.54 inc. tax) I'm hoping a discount will be offered in the future that I'll be able to use.

Fridye, I think that different CMs give out different information. I would call back and ask about the AAA discount for what you want in a room booking. Obviously, if it was offered to me, it's available. And, just so you know, I didn't even ask for it in the beginning..I was calling to book something else!

Wl club level is great! the staff is awesome especially Lisa. THe food is good to. We had a bunk room facing the MK and we could see the fireworks at night. We hada great stay. With all the consturction at AKL I would go with WL.

I agree with you on WL concierge...that is just why I was having a time deciding on whether to stay WL concierge or AKL concierge! My DGD and I stayed WL in April and my DGD fell in love with Lisa! And we could see the fireworks from our balcony too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter