Akershus....boys only

imthegoose

Galactic Hero
So, in order to get to Frozen Ever After as quickly as possible, I know one of the best plans is an early breakfast at Akershus. However, the only people on this trip are Myself 41/m and my 14yr son. Will the two of us at this restaurant be completely ridiculous? Thoughts?

So, in order to get to Frozen Ever After as quickly as possible, I know one of the best plans is an early breakfast at Akershus. However, the only people on this trip are Myself 41/m and my 14yr son. Will the two of us at this restaurant be completely ridiculous? Thoughts?
Absolutely not ridiculous!!! Nobody will give it a second thought. Your 14 yr old will be looked at as cool cause he's at the age where he's into chicks. Who doesnt like to take pics with pretty princesses? ;) Trust me i've seen grown men dine solo at character meals. Nobody cares. You'll be totally fine. Have fun!

Oh my goodness!! It is so much fun with a teen boy. Our son was almost 14 when we went and it was hysterical. He wasn't all that thrilled with the idea until we actually got there and the Princesses fawned all over him. I have such great pictures from that character meal. The Princesses actually spent time talking to him and managed to be "cool" with him. He still laughs about it!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Before I was reluctant. Now I'm looking forward to it. The last time I did a Princess meal with him, he was 5 and we had lunch in the castle. IT was a great experience. However, as he got older, the idea of dining with princesses got me the eyeroll to end all eyerolls. So, we haven't done it in years. This is going to be fun. :)

Silly me...I almost forgot to share my story of my son at 1900 PF dinner! Oh my goodness, it was hilarious. At the time he was probably about 12 years old. The step sisters were having such fun with him, and even fought over him saying he was their boyfriend! hahahaha. :lmao: it was the best. :) My son was quite amused.

Will the two of us at this restaurant be completely ridiculous?
Not at all. My ds and I had dinner at Akershus on our first trip and it was great. While he was younger than your ds is (8yo) and has always had an affinity for the princesses I don't feel like that really had any affect on our experience and believe it would have still been wonderful even if he was a bit older. I grew up in the Disney Renaissance era so the dinner was supposed to be more for me but he thoroughly enjoyed himself

We've only eaten there as all adults, you'll be fine. Hope he has his game on! ;)

"Teen boy meets Princesses...." is a good news headline.

LoL The only thing ridiculous about this place is the menu......My DS had no problems with having just princesses but honestly, I have no idea where they dreamed up this menu.:confused3

Actually just reread your post*(as it I see it now means for breakfast) I've only had the dinner there 3 years ago...I'm guessing breakfast can't be bad.....Can it?

It was interesting....every single princess at Akershus virtually ignored my 13 year old son and only asked my 14 year old daughter to take a picture. The first picture of Snow White was just with my daughter for that reason. After that I just kind of shoved my son up to get in the picture too (he didn't mind).

I know they are older, but it just seemed kind of odd.

The breakfast buffet appetizer is amazing. Couple times we went for breakfast we filed up on that and barely touched the main course "traditional American" breakfast. And we were VERY satisfied with our meal. Probably best breakfast we ever had.

The breakfast buffet appetizer is amazing. Couple times we went for breakfast we filed up on that and barely touched the main course "traditional American" breakfast. And we were VERY satisfied with our meal. Probably best breakfast we ever had.

Interesting how experiences vary so much!

I thought the appetizer buffet was on par with something you'd find at a continental breakfast spread at a budget motel. Certainly not worth $50 plus per person (can't remember how much but it was the most expensive meal of the trip).

I'm glad y'all had a good experience! I know others have as well.

If you both go into this with a sense of fun, I think you two will have a great time. The castle itself is a nice place to spend time, the staff is nice, and most teen boys I know would be more than happy to stuff themselves at an all you care to eat breakfast. The princesses will probably refer to him as a prince, and I bet any photos you take with them would bring up great memories later on. Have a great trip!

Edited to add: As for the food, we've eaten breakfast here twice and enjoyed the food both times. The potato casserole is a big hit with all three of us. The scrambled eggs remind me of my grandmother's, so I LOVE them and I don't usually have an opinion about scrambled eggs. The cold bar is our favorite. My husband fills up on smoked salmon. I love the peppered mackerel, and our daughter and I both love the gtetost cheese which we pair with the croissants. The strawberries have been deliciously fresh both times we've been there, too.

Last edited:
I don't even care about the quality of the breakfast. I'm sure the food is no better or worse than any other basic breakfast buffet. I want to go to eat at 8am, be out the door by no later than 8:40 and online for Frozen.

So, I told my son last night that we were going there. I wish I took a video of his eye roll to show everyone. He understands the strategy though and once we touch down in Orlando, he'll be in full Disney mode like me and he'll play along. :)

DUDE YOU"RE IN DISNEY!!!!!!!!! There is nothing ridiculous to be honest you and your son will be a hit with the princesses. me I would embrace the moment and where tiara's. have fun
Love this! And its so true. At disney there's no such thing as ridiculous. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter