AK-Flame Tree BBQ or Rainforest Cafe?

bigbabyblues

DIS Veteran
I'm know they aren't the same type of restaurants, but which is better? We're going to be in AK one day, with breakfast at Donald's then I had planned RC for a late lunch/early dinner. Would Flame Tree be better? The prices probably are, but anyone eaten at both?

Thanks, Steph--determined to do this without DH help

I prefer Flametree, mainly because it's not a "chain" restaurant and it's not as noisy as RFC. RFC just drives me totally nutso. Flametree has a beautiful terraced eating area around a big lilly pond. It's so quiet and peaceful back there -- you'd almost believe you're just down below a very busy walkway. For me, yep, Flametree!

We really enjoyed the food at Flame Tree BBQ when we picked up lunch there. As long as everyone likes that type of food you would really enjoy. Otherwise I would choose Rainforest for the variety. We always liked our meals there also.

Flame tree is good but my favorite is Tusker House. In fact this is my favorite counter service restaurant in WDW!

I wouldn't eat at RFC if it were free and the last morsel of food at WDW.

Flame Tree is awesome.

Flame Tree which we enjoy and has a nice quite dining area.Another poster mentioned Tusker House which is very good.::yes:: :wave2:

I would eat anywhere at AK except Flame Tree. I dont like the "BBQ" seasoning. Its dry and grainy. I know its supposed to be like that but Im used to Texas bbq and Flame Tree is not it.

I LOVE Flametree! RFC is okay, but Flametree is cheaper, quieter and much, much better.

We found Flame Tree to be okay, not great, but good. The selection however is very limited. RFC we enjoyed, but did not think it was great either. They do have a large variety of things to choose from though, but it would be much more expensive than Flame Tree.

As long as there is something on the Flame Tree menu for everyone in your party that's what I would choose. It would be more convenient, less expensive, and would take much less time, since you are doing Donald's which will use about an hour of your day.

If you think you would like the Flame Tree you should check out the AK food vouchers you can use there. They can be a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll look into either Flame Tree or Tusker House, and ask DH what he thinks (as if he'll care, lol). It will be DH and I, plus our boys, ages 4 and almost 2 at the time of our trip, and I need to check the children's menus..

How do the vouchers work?

~Steph

where exactly is flame tree? ive heard mix things from people ive talked to and want to try it for myself. im most likely going to stay at POR and i do have a car.

Originally posted by bigbabyblues

How do the vouchers work?

~Steph

Tusker House, Flame Tree and Pizzafari all sell the mealplus vouchers. You use the meal part for your entree and drink then there is another part for another drink and 1 last part for ice cream or pop corn. Redeem then whenever you feel like it in the park as opposed to the connections voucher where you get all of your meal, drink and dessert at one time.

Originally posted by neosnightmare
where exactly is flame tree? ive heard mix things from people ive talked to and want to try it for myself. im most likely going to stay at POR and i do have a car.
It's inside AK near the entrance to Dinoland, across from the entrance to It's Tough to Be a Bug. If you go around back (after getting your food) and follow the path there's seating available in a pavillion by the water. It's less crowded back there and there's a nice view.

Originally posted by jcemom
It's inside AK near the entrance to Dinoland, across from the entrance to It's Tough to Be a Bug. If you go around back (after getting your food) and follow the path there's seating available in a pavillion by the water. It's less crowded back there and there's a nice view.

thank you for the directions and especially the extra tip. if i go there, ill be sure to check out the back area.

I didn't care for the Flame Tree. We had the Chicken sandwich and the BBQ ribs and both were too dry for our taste. I would try Tusker House. The two times we ate there both meals were great.:)

Originally posted by cindy21494
I didn't care for the Flame Tree. We had the Chicken sandwich and the BBQ ribs and both were too dry for our taste. I would try Tusker House. The two times we ate there both meals were great.:)
That's what we had and we thought they were okay, though we did add additional BBQ sauce to them. What we didn't like were the baked beans, thought they tasted straight from a can, lol.

We have eaten at both flametree and RFC. We ate at RFC our last trip, then kept kicking ourselves every time we walked past FT because it smelled soooo good. We really wished we had eaten there instead. We could have eaten twice at FT for the price we paid at RFC. (DH didn't realize how expensive the souvenir glass was LOL).

Originally posted by jcemom
That's what we had and we thought they were okay, though we did add additional BBQ sauce to them. What we didn't like were the baked beans, thought they tasted straight from a can, lol.

i just cringed when u used an aspect of disney and from a can in the same sentance. :eek: :eek:

I just returned two days ago from a five day visit to WDW. My most disappointing (and over priced ) meal was at AK Rainforest Cafe. My crabcake was very small and the clam chowder tasted like Campbells- this plus ice tea added up to around $22.00 - on top of that, it was very crowded and I felt like I was being rushed through my meal - I would not go there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter