Airtran showing less seats available than we booked.....

TaraPA

Can't live without a ticker!!!!
I've been keeping an eye on the available seats for my booking on Thursday. I did not pre-pay for seats - it is not important that we sit together, and I booked late, so there weren't even 3 seats together at the time of booking. I usually wait until the 24-hour check-in and just choose whatever's left at that point. I don't want this to turn into a "you should have paid for seats" arguement - I chose not to, and I understand we will not be seated together. I'm not concerned about that in the least.

However, out of curiousity I pulled up my flight for Thursday. It's only showing 2 seats to choose - the rest are booked. There are 3 of us. This flight has bee sold out for 2 weeks (when going into general "reserve flight" screen, it just has a line there, not available to be booked.)

I called AT & they said I will have seats, to check-in at the gate at the airport. I'm sure they're correct, but it just seems odd that there are only 2 available seats showing.

Has anyone seen more seats open up right at the 24-hour mark? I'm wondering if I go in 24 hours prior to pick seats, will it show me something different than what I'm seeing today? Possibly someone will upgrade to Business Class at check-in, and that will free up a few seats. :confused3

Two seats showing available does not mean there are only two seats left. You should be able to get seats, even if you have to get them assigned at the airport.

This happened to me on another airline. After I booked, there were no seats available for me to choose from. I thought the flight was sold out so I called. Generally I was told that they "HOLD BACK" a certain amount of seats that will show available at the 24 hour check-in mark. I dont know how much truth there is to it or not. However, we were able to find seats. Since you do not care if you sit together or not, it should be fine. Good luck to you. Please come back and let us know how it all worked out. Have a FANTASTIC vacation!!!
:cool1:

Thanks everyone - I can check in online at 8am tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what happens!

All airlines hold back seats for airport check-in (except maybe Southwest). It could also be overbooked.

This happened with us last fall on AirTran. They block out seats for some reason. When we got to the airport, we were told to check in at the gate, asap. We did. The flight was oversold, but we got seats... in First Class! AirTran finally got everyone seated, but they were offering compensation to give up seats... overnight accommodations, meal vouchers, and two domestic round trip flights per seat voluntarily given up! If we'd been going to WDW for more than just three nights, I would have jumped on that. However, this was just a quick long-weekend trip and we'd have missed a big chunk of the trip doing this.. broke my heart to give up 4 tickets!

As PP noted, JetBlue does not overbook their flights.

The last flight I had with AirTran was overbooked. The people that got "bumped" were the ones that did not have confirmed seats.

Keep in mind that this may not happen with you but it may be a possibility.

This happened with us last fall on AirTran. They block out seats for some reason. When we got to the airport, we were told to check in at the gate, asap. We did. The flight was oversold, but we got seats... in First Class! AirTran finally got everyone seated, but they were offering compensation to give up seats... overnight accommodations, meal vouchers, and two domestic round trip flights per seat voluntarily given up! If we'd been going to WDW for more than just three nights, I would have jumped on that. However, this was just a quick long-weekend trip and we'd have missed a big chunk of the trip doing this.. broke my heart to give up 4 tickets!

I Love Airtran for this very reason. We chose to get bumped a few years ago and got all these "pluses", it was awesome! We didn't pay for any flights for the next year and we got two free trips out of it, so if you're not afraid of getting bumped, and the flight is oversold, the benefits are great. As soon as the gate agent shows up, volunteer to be bumped if they need someone. It sounds like your flight may be very full.

Well here's something interesting - I never picked seats or paid for them. I just went back in to check it & we are all assigned seats, 30 D, E and F! I logged onto my son's account to check & his says the same thing. Maybe when I called she assigned us seats that I couldn't see as open, as a courtesy. Interesting!

Thanks everyone - I can check in online at 8am tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what happens!

Hi Tara,
You should prebook fine. We had a paid the $6 because the little ones had to sit with us.
A FYI, I read that AirTran is leaving Allentown, we could fly out two weeks ago at Allentown, but the flights back were sold out. I checked into Harrisburg and we were able to get the flights no problem both ways. I loved the airport. It is not overwhelming, not built too long ago. THe old one sits next to it empty.
There is a long term lot for $59 for the week.

Day of the flight I upgraded to business class for $40 and our luggage went free. More room and I guess they resold our seats? Oh flight was booked full, we were seated 30 minutes before flight. Everyone on board 10 minutes before scheduled departure and left. Then we got in 15 minutes early too. 56 minute flight.

I wonder if that SW buy out means for sure no direct flights from Allentown, but alt choice, Highly recommend Harrisburg.
Oh, the workers at Subway were extremly arrogant. All I wanted to do was pay extra for dgs to have ham on his kids Turkey meal, the woman freaked out that I would have to buy a 6 in instead. I then had to "speak" to the man, with a bad communication language barrier, to just add the price of xtra meat to the meal should not be a problem.

I asked him to stamp my card, for the almost $40 order and he throws his hands forward, no no, we do not participate, no no, not honor such deals.

Update - there were lots of available seats to choose from at the 24-hour mark. I was able to move us all into row 11 - A, E & F, which is the 2nd row of Economy seating. Yay! Much better than Row 30 which is second to last row. We're Zone 7 which is always what it is (in my experience anyway) when waiting to pick seats until online check-in.

T minus 24 hours & counting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter