Airtran changed flight to an un-doable time, what can be done?

cheerful chickadee

I heart Disney World
we were originally scheduled on an airtran non-stop arriving at MCO at 2:30pm. I checked the airtran site a week or so ago and that flight is completely gone from their schedule now. The only non-stop listed now arrives at almost 6pm, I'm assuming this is what they changed our flight to. This isn't do-able for us as DH has a work conference to attend at 5pm on that day. I've been checking jetblue's website and they have a non-stop that arrives earlier but I'd have to jump on it now as there's only a few seats left. I know airtran changes their flight times often so there's a chance they could change it to an earlier time but if I wait and miss out on the jetblue seats then I will be stuck with whatever airtran gives us, who knows what they're going to do with their schedule.

Will airtran be willing to work with me on either changing the flight or a refund? It was a $72 flight so I'm not sure if it is even refundable. We're traveling with children, one being a small toddler so I'd like to avoid any stops. The return flight time is ok (as of now) would they be willing to refund me the first leg of our trip and make our flight a one way? That way I can book with jetblue to get down to MCO and take airtran back home. I hope we're not stuck with this. :mad:

we were originally scheduled on an airtran non-stop arriving at MCO at 2:30pm. I checked the airtran site a week or so ago and that flight is completely gone from their schedule now. The only non-stop listed now arrives at almost 6pm, I'm assuming this is what they changed our flight to. This isn't do-able for us as DH has a work conference to attend at 5pm on that day. I've been checking jetblue's website and they have a non-stop that arrives earlier but I'd have to jump on it now as there's only a few seats left. I know airtran changes their flight times often so there's a chance they could change it to an earlier time but if I wait and miss out on the jetblue seats then I will be stuck with whatever airtran gives us, who knows what they're going to do with their schedule.

Will airtran be willing to work with me on either changing the flight or a refund? It was a $72 flight so I'm not sure if it is even refundable. We're traveling with children, one being a small toddler so I'd like to avoid any stops. The return flight time is ok (as of now) would they be willing to refund me the first leg of our trip and make our flight a one way? That way I can book with jetblue to get down to MCO and take airtran back home. I hope we're not stuck with this. :mad:

First thing you need to do is log on to airtran.com and check your itinerary. There is a link on the right side of the homepage to do this. If your flight is now not acceptable, call them and ask them to make a change that is acceptable OR ask for a refund for that flight. They are very easy to work with. Check the airtran site first and have options ready. They will even move you to a day earlier if that works for you.

Good luck.

Duds

thanks for your quick reply! I just checked my itinerary on their site and they did indeed change the flight number and time. I thought they were supposed to email with any changes!? Yeah right! I'm going to be calling them in the morning definitely, does their call center have opening/closing times or is it 24/7?

I've been doing research on other flights so I'll be able to discuss this with them when I call. Unfortunately that changed flight (2:51pm - 5:28pm) is the only non-stop offered for the whole time period. The only other option other than a refund is to take a flight with stops and I really, really, really don't want to do that while traveling with the kids.

Even JetBlue changes schedules, but...

It is extremely likely that any airline making schedule changes will notify passengers in the order affected. If a schedule change goes into effect 4/1/09, they will notify the passengers flying in April before those flying in May before those flying in June; and they will notify those flying the first week of April before those flying the second week before those flying the third week,,,

Too, the further away your flights the more likely there will be additional changes. Knowing this, the airline may see no or little point in informing passengers today if a different schedule will be in place next week. But they've already put you on a different flight? Of course. Would you rather they cancel your flight and put you in limbo?

If you purchased round-trip tickets, you actually may have trouble making the changes you want. Well, not exactly - but you would need to cancel your entire ticket and rebook your return fare only, and that could likely be at a higher rate that what you paid originally. Would it be possible for you to leave a day early, keeping your reservation on Airtran? They would likely allow this change at no fee, and you would be absolutely guaranteed to be at Walt Disney World in plenty of time for your husband to get to his conference.

If your DH has to be at a work conference at 5:00pm, 2:30 was cutting it too close. You can't assume the flight will be on time. I would find a flight arriving in the morning.

If your DH has to be at a work conference at 5:00pm, 2:30 was cutting it too close. You can't assume the flight will be on time. I would find a flight arriving in the morning.
Or the day before.

We called airtran this AM and they cancelled the 1st leg of our flight and made it a one way for the trip back home, no hassles, no fees, etc. We didn't have to cancel the whole thing and rebook, it was just an itinerary change. It was actually pretty easy. We then booked on JetBlue arriving at 10am, non-stop. I'm always prepared for small flight time changes, I know it's standard these days but that original flight time change would just not work for us.

We knew when we booked the the 2:30 arriving flight that it was cutting it close BUT it was the only non-stop offered that day and traveling with an infant is definitely easier on a NS flight. Thanks all for your help!!

We called airtran this AM and they cancelled the 1st leg of our flight and made it a one way for the trip back home, no hassles, no fees, etc. We didn't have to cancel the whole thing and rebook, it was just an itinerary change. It was actually pretty easy. We then booked on JetBlue arriving at 10am, non-stop. I'm always prepared for small flight time changes, I know it's standard these days but that original flight time change would just not work for us.

We knew when we booked the the 2:30 arriving flight that it was cutting it close BUT it was the only non-stop offered that day and traveling with an infant is definitely easier on a NS flight. Thanks all for your help!!

Glad it worked out for you. I have found Airtran very easy to work with when they change their flight schedules....... now off to check my Airtran itinerary!

Duds

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter