Airplane tickets to go to a funeral

maggiew

DIS Veteran
Do they still offer bereavement fares or something like that so that you can fly to attend a funeral? What would I need to do to find out about this? Any experience would be helpful.

Thanks,
Maggie

Not really. My cousin spent a fortune flying last minute from Florida to NJ in January for our Aunt's. Airlines don't care anymore.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Some airlines do, but its a percentage off the list fare. We found it was less expensive to just book with a discount carrier. It still wasn't cheap though. It cost us $1500 for three of us to fly on Southwest from Manchester, NH to Nashville, TN. We usually pay between $175 - $225 roundtrip for the same flights.

Bereavement fares are not cheaper. They just discount the full fare price (they don't discount the already discounted price). You'd be better off just looking up prices through travelocity.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Just reiterating what others have said...call the individual airline you are looking at for their policy. It really isn't much of a savings at all, unfortunately.

Thanks everyone.

We all know that the price of airfare has skyrocketed lately. Just read several threads on this board. And now I need to buy tickets during Spring break on a short notice! The prices are very scary!!

Maggie

Call the airline. You will need to have the name and contact information for the funeral home, as well as the name of the deceased.

I had a funeral last year at this time. I called the airlines and the one thing they could give me was open ended flights for less, but otherwise it was cheaper to just book myself online. In general I did have some great customer service in trying to find flights when I called.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter