Airmiles wins again

almacdonald

DIS Veteran
So, we decided to go to Vegas for a quick trip in Feb. Call up airmiles tonight to get the mosaic mastercard airmiles flight and low and behold, they are all sold out of flights, 7 months in advance! The exact same thing happened when we tried to book a flight to Orlando. I'm seriously begining to doubt the existence of these flights. They said the flights were released 2 weeks ago and are now sold out, i say SHENANIGANS! What a load of crapola.

I was planning to use airmiles for a Vegas trip in May 07 - guess I should call! Guess I should get my hopes up! :furious:

I'll let you know when we get off the phone so you can speak to one of the "helpful" airmiles employees. We're fighting with them now cause they didn't bother to check for connecting flights and are arguing that westjet doesn't have a flight on tuesdays.

I know nothing about Wesjet - I use aeroplan points for Air Canada. But, posters have the same problems. For Air Canada, you really have to start booking at the 364-day mark. They have 6 "regular" point seats per flight, and generally sell-out the year before. Especially, if you're looking to book during any of the spring break times (incl. Feb). It means you have to be an anal pre-planner like me :rotfl: (How's that for a tag :teeth: )

I have heard of seats becoming available through airmiles though. Not sure how it works, but good luck with it!

This is why I have virtually quit using AirMiles for flights. You practically need a crystal ball to know when they are going to release those 4 seats they allot for Airmiles points on the plane. I still collect Airmiles and am happy to do so -- I just ordered my MYW tickets to WDW a couple days ago, instead! :cheer2:

Here's how things worked out. We paid almost double airmiles to book the air canada flight instead of Westjet (which just doesn't exist according to airmiles. The arrival and departure times are worse but the most annoying (and scary) part is that the flight connects in Vancouver, meaning we have exactly 1 hour and 22 minutes to 1)Get off plane #1, 2)Collect luggage, 3)High tail it to customs, 4)Clear customs, 5)Get airplane #2 before it leaves without us.

While we were on the phone talking to a supervisor we asked how the average person is supposed to know when these flights become available, ESP? We explained that we'd been collecting for 12 years and haven't been able to redeem our points yet cause every time we try the flight is sold out. He explains that it's not just flights they offer, they have hotels too. Well, ladi-frickin-dah, it's called AIRmiles, if i wanted a hotel rewards program we'd sign up for HOTELmiles or something.

What really chaps my behind is that we're paying an annual fee for this mosaic mastercard so that the most points needed to fly anywhere within North America is between 1400 and 1600 point, round-trip. Twice now, booking SEVERAL months in advance, we were unable to book a ticket at theses "fares".

Oh, and to share another "Airmiles sucks" story. My father had a ticket booked to go visit my grandfather. My father became ill (he's all better now thankfully) and the doctor told him he could not fly and the doctor provided a note stating such. Do you think airmiles would refund his points? Nope, not even with the cancellation insurance that my father was suckered into buying.

I think i'll be cancelling my Airmiles AMEX and switching to something with cash back, or another rewards program that isn't so tough to redeem. I feel like i'm dealing to David Spade from the Capital One no hassle rewards commercial...

We use the TD Gold travel Visa it is great no blackouot dates for seats you can use any airline even SWA if you want you just call teh points centre they look into the flight you want and use the appropriate number of points to cover the flight and you are golden.

I will be booking my hotel in Kissimme with Airmiles for my trip in October, but you all have me worried now. Should I be concerned about using my Airmiles to book a Hotel, or is this problem only with booking flights?

Toro

I booked March 10th for our November trip. i ended up going one day later and staying one day later. then i was to return through Calgary rather than Toronto, but then yesterday I got my confirmation I am now back through Toronto.

toro said:
I will be booking my hotel in Kissimme with Airmiles for my trip in October, but you all have me worried now. Should I be concerned about using my Airmiles to book a Hotel, or is this problem only with booking flights?

Toro

I wouldn't worry - it really is only the airline tickets that suck. And I totally agree that it is a pain in the butt to have to hope and pray for a seat on the plane. In my opinion they should have to give you a seat whenever you want for whatever flight you want if you have the Airmiles.

On the flip side - I do like being able to buy other things like the MYW passes with my Airmiles.

We've had no problem booking things through AirMiles. We went to California and did our flight, hotel and Disneyland tickets with them. Now we are booked to go to Orlando in December. Had to be a little flexible in the flight times but otherwise no problems.

almacdonald - How could they not refund his airmiles plus $ if he had a doctors note? :confused3 I always buy that insurance, now I am thinking maybe I should not.

Our airmiles experience has been hit and miss. We always get to use them but maybe not from the airport we want on the date we want etc. In Feb we used them to go to Antigua and we booked four months in advance. There were NO seats on Sat so we booked on Sunday and just changed our timeshare deal which they (our good luck) did at no charge. We've also flown to Orlando with Airmiles the year before... also booking in November for a Feb flight. We always try to book out of Ottawa but there is NEVER any availability there so we end up flying out of Toronto, which means a drive.
Now we are using Airmiles to fly to Las Vegas :Pinkbounc in November. I booked in June, however there were NO flights out of Ottawa on Westjet or Air Canada. The only flights which would work were Westjet out of MONTREAL = which then went to Toronto for a plane change and then to LV. So, I said,'just book us out of Toronto.' Well, there were no seats out of TO, only Montreal THROUGH Toronto. It was that or nothing. It was with Westjet though so it means the five of us fly there for 7,000 Airmiles so I just said book it. DH was not too impressed - he is our collector - so I told him to call and fight it out with them. Long story - they cancelled our Montreal leg but we had to pay the cancelation fee of about $200 for the five of us. Nuts. As DH says, we are still ahead and we don't have to have a layover and a drive to Montreal, but I still find it annoying. (He also called Westjet and they said they can't touch an Airmiles ticket to change it. He has the Westjet MC to collect Airmiles.) They should have just booked us out of TO to begin with. However, we did get to fly Westjet and that was half the Airmiles of Air Canada, so I may use the extra Airmiles to rent a car.
Deb

Calena

Nope, no money refund or points refund. They basically said "unless you're dead and doctor's note isn't a sufficient excuse for a refund." So, I woudlnt' bother with the insurance anymore.

So, if i'm picking up what you're putting down, Airmiles wouldn't let you book a Toronto to Vegas flight but you could book a Montreal to Toronto to Vegas trip?! :confused3 This smiley doesn't even begin to describe the confusion. Maybe I should have tried to "fly out of Edmonton".

well that bites.i would be roaring mad if i were you!

i guess it is totally hit or miss with Airmiles.
it took me a while and (way to many phone calls) lots of trying but i finally got us 3 tickets (2 booked at one point as that is all they had for seats (huh?) and the 3rd booked a couple weeks later..hmmm)

as for this 4 seat per plane thing..where does this info come from?
my dad was able to book 5 seats to MCO using airmiles...
i told him no way, would not even get one seat, booking in Aug for a Oct trip..but they did, and only phone call, nearly blew me over.

This is one of the many reasons we stopped using our airmiles card all together we had the mosaic too. We cancelled it a while ago, never could get a flight we wanted when we wanted ended up getting a whole bunch of stuff instead like the movie tickets ect. One order never arrived to us. We never recieved the a batch of grocery giftcertifcates. DH called Airmiles after about a month of not recieving them to inquire about them. They were so rude like we were lying that we didnt recieve them. They re-sent them and said that if it happened again we would have to go and pick them up from thier office . They GC never arrived. DH called and was basically told he was lying. So he cancelled the card right then and there. All of a sudden the guy on the phone was being nice... We now have a Citi Mastercard/Dinersclub card. We get points and its a lot easier to book flights and get rewards, sometimes they can be a bit slow ( around christmas ect) but they rewards have always arrived.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter