Airmiles Armchair Chatter

It is disheartening!!!

It will be the first and last time they probably go there. The good thing for us is - they are willing to spend their money for some portions of the trip. They live at home - paying some rent - but are getting their head start on life having nice padded bank accounts (hopefully investments they won't have to touch until they are 50) and some budgeting and life money skills they need for the real world.

For me, it's the dream that we are finally able to take them there and experience it! I want it to be a great time!!!! But today's announcement has me a little bummed. But I also know they have some nicely padded bank accounts, and this will be a good teaching lesson on how to research, budget and see how you fair at the end of the trip! I want to make it a lesson for them also.
I love all this!! I hope you have a truly fabulous, magical trip!!!

Can I also add, that just being in the parks - even if you go super budget - like eating the hotel breakfast and packing lots of snacks and maybe sharing any meals or even eating ramen dinner back in the room - just being in the parks is like the best thing ever and the extra costs aren’t required to have a fantastic time. 💛 (I love all the extras but I know in my heart that maybe I’d like the extra $ in my pocket vs some of the things…including maybe genie+).

Question for DCL experts......

I've decided that I have to wait until DD is 1000% going to be on the ship before I book something. She still needs to finish her medical clearance......boy, that's a story. Anyway, there had been one sailing that offered a non refundable rate that was $1000 less than the refundable rates which looks to be the only somewhat affordable rate. Now there are two sailings and one of them has the option of an outside cabin or a verandah cabin for an extra $300....we are still talking around $4000 CAD for the cruise only and I really am not willing to go higher than that. So I'm feeling more hopefully that we will be able to wait a little bit and still be able to book something. My question is, can I pay with Disney gift cards and if so is there a limit to how many or how much? Could GC's be put towards gratuities or beverages? I'm thinking that I might start collecting GC's to help offset the cost a little.

Hi Guys
Putting my heart out there so please be gentle.
Looking for some advice please.
I love hearing about everyone's holiday plans .
I feel like such a failure and idiot right now.
I am having Covid anxiety when right now .... it should be the best time of my life (retired and free to travel) yep that was the dream.
How did you all get to where you are?
Anyone else working on this?
Thanks
Hugs Mel

I've decided that I have to wait until DD is 1000% going to be on the ship before I book something. She still needs to finish her medical clearance......boy, that's a story. Anyway, there had been one sailing that offered a non refundable rate that was $1000 less than the refundable rates which looks to be the only somewhat affordable rate. Now there are two sailings and one of them has the option of an outside cabin or a verandah cabin for an extra $300....we are still talking around $4000 CAD for the cruise only and I really am not willing to go higher than that. So I'm feeling more hopefully that we will be able to wait a little bit and still be able to book something. My question is, can I pay with Disney gift cards and if so is there a limit to how many or how much? Could GC's be put towards gratuities or beverages? I'm thinking that I might start collecting GC's to help offset the cost a little.
Ouch
DCL cruises are so expensive.
Best of luck planning everything out.
Hugs Mel

Hi Guys
I am having Covid anxiety when right now .... it should be the best time of my life (retired and free to travel) yep that was the dream.
Thanks
Hugs Mel
I must confess, I have days where I worry about the Covid factor and days when I think 'I'm going on a cruise'. I have days when I worry about the Covid factor and days when I think 'I'm sailing for 14 days, YAHOO'. It comes and it goes. Today is a good day, I have been thinking positive all day. I think everyone must be pretty much the same, some worry more than others. It's been several years, and I NEED a vacation so I'm willing to test the waters.
Also, I have packed 6 boxes of covid tests to take as well as 2 boxes of masks.... just in case.
Sorry this is not more helpful, but this is how I'm getting through it.

Let me help where I can. I am Platinum so have had a few cruises.
As far as the Disney GC's, yes, you can use them to pay for your cruise. I would suggest combining the smaller ones into the $1000 limit on the GC website so that when you do use them you don't have to input a ton, just one or two. Now, if you are booking through Dreams Unlimited, they don't like to have more than 10 cards applied to the booking at time so that's something to think about if you decide to keep them in little chunks.
Yes, you can pay for drinks and suvies with GC's. If you are using them in the shops you can use the GC directly however for drinks and miscellaneous food items, think candy/popcorn, they will charge that back to your room so you would need to apply GC's to your account. You can do this at any time. If you apply to much to your account, don't use it all, they will put the excess back on to a GC so do not throw them out. Most people like to apply all their cards to their room account and just charge everything to their room. It's the easiest way.
Since tips are charged to your room, if you don't prepay them, you can use GC's applied to your account to pay for those as well. Same with excursions. You don't pay for excursions until you board so you can pay for them by applying GC's to your account.
As far as GC's go though, if you are getting them with points, either AM or PC, I would do it. If you are using cash to pay for them, I wouldn't. The reason why is because you can never be sure of the rate you will get. A $50 GC purchased 6 months ago looked like a good deal, it would have been worth about $40 US. Today, that card would be worth about $35 US and the rate doesn't look like it's going to get better. If you had taken that $50 you paid for the GC 6 months ago and converted to US at the bank you would have $40 US today and not the $35 value of the GC that could lose even more. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture and it's only my opinion. Everyone has their own way to do things.
As for cabins, have you cruised before? Do you think you will use a veranda? We thought we would and had three before I realized we didn't use it hardly at all and started looking at ocean view cabins to save funds. We know book 8A's on deck 5 if we can get one, there are only 4 of the good ones.
Again, this is only my opinion, my thoughts. It's not right for everyone but I have taken my financial background and used it to get the best bang for my buck.

Hi Guys
Thanks
Hugs Mel

I've been on two trips, Disney last October and a cruise in May. Covid was a concern, especially then since of course there was testing to fly in October and testing to cruise in May. I figure I am just as likely to catch covid here in my day to day life as I am travelling. The only real difference is if I were to get sick while away I'd have to be sick there. But my vaccinations are up to date, as are kiddo's and I really don't want to miss more trips.

Hi Guys
Thanks
Hugs Mel
Personally, I’m super Covid conservative in my day to day life. I wear a mask 95% of the time in the office and when indoors in public. (I did not wear it in the movie theatre with a friend a few weeks ago…. And felt terrible about it most of the time #peerpressure - she didn’t pressure me. I just wanted to fit in lol some things never change ha!)

Im willing to travel a little bit but haven’t done anything too big. I’m currently planning two trips with flights but both are flights under 3 hrs. And are a bit “dipping my toes” in the travel water to see how things go.

Honestly, I used to travel a lot. I’d be on a plane every 3 weeks. And I’ve lost my confidence to even book flights (haven’t done it yet and one trip is November! So close!). And I directly attribute it to not wanting to deal with Covid or the fallout of not being able to go or getting sick or having to get tests whatever it is. It’s all related and it feels overwhelming when I get into the details and it seems really hard, honestly. So I don’t think you should feel bad. I think it’s pretty normal. You’ll get there.

But I’m hoping this first trip will help me get my rhythm back. And I hope it goes well enough to feel like going to a theme park or Europe early next year.

Maybe a small trip will help you with your “travel confidence”. Something driving distance and maybe mostly outdoorsy or sparsely populated? See how that feels before jumping on a plane. It might be too much and that’s totally ok! You’ll be ready when the time is right :)

Hi Guys
Thanks
Hugs Mel
We haven‘t travelled anywhere by plane since summer 2019. We rescheduled our March 2020 WDW trip to this past summer, but we had to cancel last minute unexpectedly, but I have to admit a part of me was relieved that we didn’t have to get on that plane and risk getting sick.

So we instead bravely decided to go on a few weekend trips to Niagara Falls and Blue Mountain. It felt so good to get out of our house, and actually stay at a hotel/resort with other people! Trust me, there were initially many moments of uneasiness when we checked into the hotel. We did wear our masks etc. and took precautions, and nobody got sick...

We are now determined to go on this WDW trip, and have rebooked to xmas break. Sadly, there will be no more March break vacations due to differing school schedules if we are to travel as a family. Of course, I will pay close attention to the numbers both here and in the U.S. as the winter months and flu season approaches and we are prepared to reschedule once again if needed.

Last edited:
Details Details Details!!
So happy for you! :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:
Hugs Mel

Thank you!! We’re staying in Boulder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge, then a few days at Universal (haven’t picked that resort yet).

Also, I think Covid concerns are totally legitimate and reasonable. I really like Kristabelle’s suggestion of working up to travel, or at least to figure out what you’re comfortable with. It isn’t easy or straightforward, but it’s a way to try things out and see what you’re comfortable with.

Love you guys!
Thank you for all the great ideas and for sharing with me ,,, it helps me feel better knowing that others are successfully dealing with this.
I truly appreciate all of your help!
🤗
Hugs Mel

Thank you!! We’re staying in Boulder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge, then a few days at Universal (haven’t picked that resort yet).

Also, I think Covid concerns are totally legitimate and reasonable. I really like Kristabelle’s suggestion of working up to travel, or at least to figure out what you’re comfortable with. It isn’t easy or straightforward, but it’s a way to try things out and see what you’re comfortable with.
Maybe we will see you there. We are heading down March break for Ontario. Staying at Portifino for couple of nights,,1st time Universal. Then heading to Boardwalk for 5 nights for Disney fix.
Im driving down couple of days early to golf and me time, then the girls are flying down and back.

Mel we were always very travel adverse untill our 3rd shot,,,we feel that we are as safe as we can be now and we have to keep living. Even being safe somhow before our Hawaii trip the girls all caught it,,,thankfully nothing major just tired for a day each,,thats how we knew. I never tested positive. Im actually going for 4th shot today. Only you can make sure you feel ok about going out. Baby steps,,night out at a hotel in TO, or the falls. Cross the border for a little shopping,,,and see how that feels for you. You will get there.

Sobeys Upcoming flyer

https://www.reebee.com/flyers/10012/1485009?page=14&sourceID=10&position=8

Just wondering about this offer. Page 14
If I buy 8 of these.

Nature Valley Bars, Pillsbury Bars or Betty Crocker Gushers, Fruit by the Foot
$7.00 for two

Total 28$
60 Airmiles for buying 8 boxes
plus 100 for spending $ 28.00 ... ($21.00)
would I get a total of 160 Airmiles?
Just trying to maximize last few Airmiles shops.

Thanks
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Holy moly are the DL price increases annoying. I just. Wow. I knew they were going up….but when you add in Genie+ and a 5 day PH ticket is over $100/day?! That’s reallllllly high. (And for context, I only have to pay for me. And I haven’t paid cash for DL tix since 2009). And now, I’m like….legitimately second guessing my next trip’s plans….thank goodness for AM tix and being able to “buy” tix for everyone who’s coming.

$540USD/ticket. Maybe im also feeling the crush of the exchange rate too. $746CDN for 5 days.

What a sad morning lol
I hear you. I am planning a trip to DL next May. I was holding off on getting tickets because the ones through AM are non-refundable (still hedging my bets).

Yesterday I decided to get some tickets with UT from their old stock (good till Jan 12, 2024) or refundable for 365 days (95%back). I opted for no Genie+. We are Ok if all we get done are the rides that they don't have a Disneyworld. I used the cash that I put aside after using AM Cash at the grocery store so it kind of came from AM. Funds saved will pay for the ride from LAX to Disneyland.

I've been reading some people experience right now at Disneyland and am wondering why I'm going but I've never been and now seems like as a good a time as any.

Hi Guys
Thanks
Hugs Mel
I'm not totally there yet, hence why everything I have booked is refundable. I've got a trip to Winnipeg to visit relatives next month for a long weekend. (not refundable but it only cost me $128). That, I guess, is my dipping my toes in the water trip.

I'll be masked and well sanitized on the plane. My relatives are fully vaxed (so no different than seeing relatives here). If all goes well I'll feel a little more confident about the longer trip in the spring.

We need to learn to trust that the vaccines are going to do their thing and keep the infection mild if we do get it. I never let cold and flu season keep me from doing things in the past. At this stage, this is the mindset I've decided to adopt. That being said, this winter I will still mask up in the stores and sanitize when I get back in the car. Haven't had a cold in two years and I like it.

Baby steps Mel, you'll get there when you're ready.

Hey Guys
I was wondering if you could help me with this.
Awhile back I used some Airmiles to purchase a ticket
This is what it says
"This ticket is good for Both Islands of Adventure & Universal Studios"
2-Day+PTP Adult OE + Access to Both Parks ; and Citywalk included.
Expires 13 days after first use.
It also has a bar code on the back

I never used it.
Do you think it has any value today?

Thanks
Hugs Mel

IMG_20221012_151717.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys
Thanks
Hugs Mel
I so hear you! This thing has kicked my germophobia into high gear. Couple that with working in LTC where I worry almost daily that I'm going to bring it in and start another outbreak. Plus, we are at a stand still in terms of restrictions until next summer at least....we still screen, test and mask.

You know I've travelled a fair bit in the past year. I've been to 3 countries and taken a few flights withing Canada. For me the scariest was the first trip last year to Mexico. Getting a PCR was still needed to fly home and MX was under restrictions (the resort was only allowed 50% capacity). I guess I got over my anxieties by realizing that I was in control of my own safety. I could mask when I wanted to, could keep my distance and could sanitize anything and everything that I wanted to. I also had my daughter constantly telling me that I was okay. Next trip after that was going to WDW in January and that was high anxiety for me because the new variant was going crazy. Still needed a test to fly home then too so I insisted on masks every minute we were out of our room or outside our car. Ride lines were the worst for me as no one was distanced and hardly anyone was wearing masks. At that point WDW required masks indoors but a lot of people didn't wear them and CM's were not really enforcing it.

I still assess places before I go in to see...how open is the space, how many people inside etc. If it's crowded I wear a mask. The first time I went in the grocery store without a mask I had a knot in my stomach. I've gotten better about being outplaces without a mask but I'm constantly aware that I move away from people or avoid standing face to face with say a cashier. This week though I'm looking at docs at work and seeing cases rise so I'm now thinking I should return to masking everywhere.

I guess basically that was a really long way of saying that you have the control. Do what you need to do to feel comfortable and don't give a second thought to other people.

Let me help where I can. I am Platinum so have had a few cruises.
As far as the Disney GC's, yes, you can use them to pay for your cruise. I would suggest combining the smaller ones into the $1000 limit on the GC website so that when you do use them you don't have to input a ton, just one or two. Now, if you are booking through Dreams Unlimited, they don't like to have more than 10 cards applied to the booking at time so that's something to think about if you decide to keep them in little chunks.
Yes, you can pay for drinks and suvies with GC's. If you are using them in the shops you can use the GC directly however for drinks and miscellaneous food items, think candy/popcorn, they will charge that back to your room so you would need to apply GC's to your account. You can do this at any time. If you apply to much to your account, don't use it all, they will put the excess back on to a GC so do not throw them out. Most people like to apply all their cards to their room account and just charge everything to their room. It's the easiest way.
Since tips are charged to your room, if you don't prepay them, you can use GC's applied to your account to pay for those as well. Same with excursions. You don't pay for excursions until you board so you can pay for them by applying GC's to your account.
As far as GC's go though, if you are getting them with points, either AM or PC, I would do it. If you are using cash to pay for them, I wouldn't. The reason why is because you can never be sure of the rate you will get. A $50 GC purchased 6 months ago looked like a good deal, it would have been worth about $40 US. Today, that card would be worth about $35 US and the rate doesn't look like it's going to get better. If you had taken that $50 you paid for the GC 6 months ago and converted to US at the bank you would have $40 US today and not the $35 value of the GC that could lose even more. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture and it's only my opinion. Everyone has their own way to do things.
As for cabins, have you cruised before? Do you think you will use a veranda? We thought we would and had three before I realized we didn't use it hardly at all and started looking at ocean view cabins to save funds. We know book 8A's on deck 5 if we can get one, there are only 4 of the good ones.
Again, this is only my opinion, my thoughts. It's not right for everyone but I have taken my financial background and used it to get the best bang for my buck.
Thanks...that's lots of great info. I've never cruised before so there is a lot to learn.
I only mentioned the verandah because it was an option that was not available the last time I looked. I thought that I might splurge on that as it was only an extra $300 CAD but that of course depends on what's available when I do finally book. I can envision ordering room service for breakfast and sitting out there every morning. There are a lot of extra costs that I'm not fully aware of yet so saving $300 might be what I need to do.

I appreciate any and all info/suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter