Airmiles Armchair Chatter

did anyone get stuck with universal passes ? How did universal handle the border closing . They say non -refundable and are date specific
I didn't get stuck with AM Universal Passes however I had an annual pass that I couldn't use because of Covid. I would not have probably used it anyways, I had already used it once and got out of it what I wanted but I called Universal and spoke with an agent about partial refund. She said she could put a hold on it and when I was ready to go back it could be reinstated. There was six months left on it so I'm happy.
Give Universal a call and see what they can do. I would check with AM's first though. You shouldn't get stuck with it. At the very least Universal will extend the date I'm sure.

I started to get concerned seeing all these posts here and on the other site that cannot be named, so decided to check through the Air Miles Dream catalogue and see what I could get for my remaining 2,000 AM...I ended up getting the Hush Weighted Throw. I have heard that weighted blankets help you sleep better but they are expensive. I checked out the Hush website and found that the throw was $229 + tax. So I decided to "treat" myself and I redeemed 1,870 AM for the weighted throw. I will be able to see what it is like and it isn't "technically" costing me anything since the AM were earned on items I normally purchased. I will use up my remaining cash rewards when I get gas at Shell and call it a day on the AM program. I will concentrate on collected PC points and redeeming those points for free groceries.
Oh, please let me know how you do with the blanket. I have been thinking of getting one but as you say, they are not cheap. Didn't realize AM's had them. I haven't check the products in a while.

Oh, please let me know how you do with the blanket. I have been thinking of getting one but as you say, they are not cheap. Didn't realize AM's had them. I haven't check the products in a while.

AM only has the 8 lb weighted throw but I figured it would at least give me an idea if the heavier blanket would be beneficial for me as I wake up many times during the night. I will let you know how it is, it says 4 weeks for delivery.

I didn't get stuck with AM Universal Passes however I had an annual pass that I couldn't use because of Covid. I would not have probably used it anyways, I had already used it once and got out of it what I wanted but I called Universal and spoke with an agent about partial refund. She said she could put a hold on it and when I was ready to go back it could be reinstated. There was six months left on it so I'm happy.
Give Universal a call and see what they can do. I would check with AM's first though. You shouldn't get stuck with it. At the very least Universal will extend the date I'm sure.

Thanks for posting this. We have Universal APs that are just going to expire without us getting to use them more than once. If they will put them on hold, that would be great.

We are booked at universal for two nights in dec. I’m have enough for 4/5 of our passes but am slightly worried about the health of the program. But when you look at universal date specific tickets it says non refundable .. sigh .. I don’t want to wait in case more things disappear but I don’t want to lose all those miles ,
Do they hold their value I wonder ? Maybe it’s worth a call to universal ?

I don't think the Airmiles program is going anywhere in the next few years. My original post was about the longer term prospects of the program. Most likely there will be other partners that will come on board. Over the years I have seen Michaels, ToysRUs, Rexall and most recently Lowes and RONA leave. It's just the natural way of the business.

Everyone with Airmiles sitting in their accounts will (most likely) get the oppportunity to use all their miles on travel. We will see cutbacks in service on the phone/online and limited options for using our miles before anything dire happens. The signs will be there.

I don't think the Airmiles program is going anywhere in the next few years. My original post was about the longer term prospects of the program..

Yes, actually this is what I meant as well. Longer term I don't think it will be viable (although I don't know if I'd give it a few years, maybe 3? IDK).

In the shorter term I just don't think the value is here . It's losing sponsors and not gaining them at them, less merchandise to pick from, increases on points for items. My thought is that I'm going to be putting airmiles on hold right now until if/when they get their stuff together. I'm thinking of getting rid of the Airmiles cc's and moving to cash back cards for now and if the program ramps back up I can move back to them. I'm not convinced it's going to get better this year at all but we'll see. At the moment I feel like I'd be wasting money to continue (prices are so much better at non airmiles sponsors lol).

I don't think it will disappear over night, but I have done a number of surveys over the years about different loyalty programs, I normally compare most to airmiles as the most favourable but that has been changing. For sure they have been losing stores, but I also remember when Sobeys joined. I hope they will get some more, I hate to think the focus will be on their online portal. I just think it will be that much harder to earn more, especially during the big bonuses. For travel, at least flight wise, I will probably earn more aeroplan points. I tend to fly Air Canada because of their flight times and being able to get direct. Who knows what that will look like when covid restrictions are gone and travel is possible again.

I did CHAT with Airmiles tonight,,
here is the answer to my question re: e vouchers for Starbucks return.

cut & copy & paste agents response ...
Samantha:
"It shows that our we're hoping to receive new inventory for Starbucks around March 15th.
7:45 PM "

She also said they have not received any notice of a Mega Miles event for March/April yet.

Hugs Mel

I decided to stock up on last weeks stuff (10 boxes of granola bars,10 pkg. Crispy Mini) as this weeks flyer has nothing for me in it.
In and out in 5 minutes.
$44.00 shop
=200 airmiles
Sobeys does have a spend $125.00 get 100 Airmiles Or a $10.00 Sobeys gift card.

Hugs Mel

****P.S. Re: Blue Bonus Deal in up coming flyer ,,,,, that Sobeys deal buy 5 Mayo @ $5.99 get 95 airmiles is not a good deal.
Foodland is selling the same Mayo for $2.99 each.

I have been thinking of getting one but as you say, they are not cheap
I bought a no name weighted blanket on amazon and really like it. Worked for me the first night I used it. I also bought an unbranded cover for it so I can remove and wash the cover - the blanket itself is so heavy it might damage my washing machine - and the 2 pieces together were less than $80. Two drawbacks - the blanket is ugly compared to my duvet. Always wrinkled and looks untidy compared to the duvet. I got the queen sz one and it isn't really queen sz and doesn't completely cover the bed. Think this sizing is normal as each sz smaller than regular. Suppose this allows some flexibility ie if one person in a couple wants to use the blanket but the other doesn't. However, weighted blankets are heavy so hauling it on and off the bed every day would be a chore. Bottom line: if you don't care about cosmetics and are at a point where you really crave better sleep but need to avoid sleep aids, then its worth it. Don't think I'd buy one if I had small pets like cats or mini pups in the house. Safety issue if they crawl underneath or sleep on your bed.

Any discussion as to why there are no Disney/Universal tickets for sale on the AM website? (at least none that I can see)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter