• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I just took a look at safeway's new flyer for the new week starting tomorrow. I was hoping to find a deal on something that we use, as it's our weekend to do a little stocking up again. Didn't see anything that we would use. So I guess I don't have to make a stop there over the weekend. I guess I am just wanting a little regularity back in our life. Even if it is something as hunting for AM deals :(

Thanks, can you use it around your eyes? I never really use much, I always wonder if I can just use a "regular" cream around my eyes or what the difference is, those little eye creams seem really expensive for how much you get. But I assumed they were special somehow.
I do use it around my eyes. I have had some day moisturizer from Olay with sunscreen....I avoided my eyes with that one. :)

I recently started using the Olay eye cream with retinol. I do like it. I was using a Clinque one before that I loved, but for some reason my allergies all of a sudden didn't like it anymore. So I'm trying this one. You don't need very much at all. And the retinol will help with fine lines with use over time. If you want to know more about retinol I suggest you watch this lady on youtube. She has a great channel and talks about older woman's issues. And she does talk about retinol as well and explains about how it works https://www.youtube.com/user/HotandFlashy
Thanks! Maybe I'll check this one out.

Really Safeway? How many weeks has it been since a decent AM offering? I read an article that says that Sobey's (the parent company) has had an increase of 27% in sales since the pandemic started. So they could totally give us some AM hunting! :headache:

I guess I'm gonna be unpopular when I say I'm actually glad to see there aren't any big deals of any sorts right now. I don't think people should be out hunting down deals, miles, points or anything that might mean leaving their house for anything other than what they need. I figure if I am able to get everything on my list then I'm winning! Any sales or bonuses will be greatly appreciated but not my main concern right now.

I guess I'm gonna be unpopular when I say I'm actually glad to see there aren't any big deals of any sorts right now. I don't think people should be out hunting down deals, miles, points or anything that might mean leaving their house for anything other than what they need. I figure if I am able to get everything on my list then I'm winning! Any sales or bonuses will be greatly appreciated but not my main concern right now.

I agree, I’m glad the flyer isn’t full of offers.

I still think there are other options, though.

Maybe an AM bonus for spending a total $ amount at Sobeys?

Or they could get really creative...a bonus for every day you don’t shop? A bonus for only shopping once a week or once every two weeks?

I would still prefer no offers to flyer offers, but I think that rewards programs could adapt a bit better than they are right now.

Your not unpopular at all!!!! I agree. We haven't been out shopping in over two weeks except for picking up some extra milk and some buns for left over turkey sammies this past weekend. I will have to head out again this weekend to do a little shop to stock up on a few things. But no big shop needed in our house yet. I was just hoping to stumble on something that we actually use that had AM attached to it. I don't usually shop Safeway anyways as their prices are always higher, and the produce that are in our stores is questionable at times. It always seems to spoil faster than when I purchase the same items somewhere else :( Even though Safeway is the closest to me, I only buy the items that are attached with AM...or their jugs of milk...because they are almost always the cheapest!

I'm just needing some normalcy back in my life again. I'm grateful I will have my job and a paycheck coming in, I'm completing 4 college courses through distancing learning, so my life is still very busy with very little downtime. And I'm just wanting a little escape from the craziness around us, Trying to balance work, courses, kids at home with no school, worrying about still working with the virus still very active in Alberta. AND not being able to see the grandbaby is probably the hardest!!! Looking through the flyer, finding a little nugget of AM ( even if it's 15 miles on one item ) would be a little nugget of normalcy right now.

Last edited:

I have to shop this week at Sobeys so I will have to check if any of my items are on sale. I haven't shopped in 2 weeks so will need milk, eggs etc. Again I will write out my list in the order of the stores aisles so I can just run up and down and get everything I need. I perused the ad and there are a few things that are on my list which are on sale. Yea and 1 of the items actually will earn me a whopping 10 air miles.

Good afternoon everyone.

I know we are all looking for ways to up our Airmiles and all be super careful when doing so,,,yes Airmiles could certainly up their game to help us out.

Today was my designated 10 min to grab your teaching resources and get out of the school day.
I wanted to mention those that do not have food,,,I passed by my local food bank today and saw alot of people patiently waiting outside in the cold.
Maybe consider helping out
$50.00 Food Bank Donation
500 Dream Miles

$50.00 Kids Help Phone Donation
500 Dream Miles

I did the Food Bank one.
Thanks
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Really Safeway? How many weeks has it been since a decent AM offering? I read an article that says that Sobey's (the parent company) has had an increase of 27% in sales since the pandemic started. So they could totally give us some AM hunting! :headache:
I think it's like a holiday weekend.....everyone's shopping big so no AM offers. The store DD used to be in is still doing nearly double their normal sales. My theory on that is that it's the largest store in this area so people want to go there assuming they can get everything in one stop. I went this morning at opening and there were a lot of people inside....far more than I would have liked to see.

I also saw someone complaining on social media a few weeks ago about an AM deal at Sobeys that required a purchase of 6 items that it was encouraging hoarding. So I guess they don’t want to encourage over-buying.
My Safeway has a limit of 2 items on everything in the store so makes it hard for them to offer AM deals like in the past.

I guess it doesn't help that Safeway hasn't figured out any kind of click & collect or delivery/online ordering, either. :(

That's weird because IGA in QC (also owned by Sobeys) was the first grocery chain to offer online ordering here. I used it a lot a few years ago when DH was in South Korea for 3 months. I was picking it up (4$ for order prep) but delivery was also available for an additional fee.

I've been mostly shopping at Metro and Shoppers, both seem to be running things well. But Metro here doesn't do pick up or delivery. I went to Sobeys once and was annoyed they wouldn't let me use my own bags but charged me for theirs. So I won't go back until this is over, or they offer me many airmiles. Which hasn't happened, my weekly offer with them is spend $60 get 15AM. I am not shopping for the miles, but have managed to get 20 or so each week by buying what I need, and perhaps getting two packs of something. I am saving up for a trip... someday in the future. To where or doing what I don't know but I will keep putting them away for now.

I am getting a bit worried about summer, I just can't see staying home for 6 months with the kid. I mean I love my son but oh my, some days are easier than others! He has now lost two teeth, what an ordeal that last one was, and of course I have no cash in the house. Working while trying to get him to do homework, when he'd rather be playing video games is hard, add in nicer weather (coming soon??? right?) and he'll want to be out playing. Any way. Fingers crossed things get back to a new normal sooner than later, but not too quickly. And we can all get back to our Airmile hunting and trip planning, and everything else.

So Air Miles related - today was National Takeout Canada day so I cashed in some air miles for 2 $50 Ultimate dining evouchers and ordered dinner from East Side Marios. I am out of their delivery range so we had to go and pick it up but it was yummy and I have salads now for the next 2 days. Thanks Air Miles for my dinner tonight.

😋 🍝🥗

Well Metro comes to my airmiles rescue, spend $100 get 100 AM in my app coupons. That's easy, I think I've been spending more than that every week with ease. Well with a hit to my usual budget but it's easy to get there with stuff we need! Between that and maybe Rexall stop, I may get over 300 airmiles this week. I have to say, the Metro offer is much more appealing than the Sobeys one (spend $60 get 15). And it helps Metro has been doing well with the social distancing aspects of this, I will wear my mask to make everyone feel better, and I have some hand sanitizer in the car.

Well Metro comes to my airmiles rescue, spend $100 get 100 AM in my app coupons. That's easy, I think I've been spending more than that every week with ease. Well with a hit to my usual budget but it's easy to get there with stuff we need! Between that and maybe Rexall stop, I may get over 300 airmiles this week. I have to say, the Metro offer is much more appealing than the Sobeys one (spend $60 get 15). And it helps Metro has been doing well with the social distancing aspects of this, I will wear my mask to make everyone feel better, and I have some hand sanitizer in the car.
My Sobeys spend offers are consistently terrible.

Went to Rexall, got 203 AM for some eye cream, night cream and a shepherd's pie. That was needed but I like to have something in the freezer the boy will eat :)

Also went to Metro and got groceries, a lot of meat was on sale so I stocked up on pork chops, some chicken and got two giant steaks that I know kiddo will love for dinner. Also finally remembered extra soup noodles (he likes extras in his lipton's, thanks Nanny). And got 108 AM for $109 after taxes on a couple things (maybe got some chips and chocolates just because). Not too bad, they had empty places on shelves as has been the norm and a few things I thought were on sale weren't in stock (cauliflower, had lots of broccoli though!). They are bagging items again, last week I had to do it myself, takes a lot longer.

Wore my mask and it makes me very warm, plus felt awkward, though I guess I'll get used to that.

Wore my mask and it makes me very warm, plus felt awkward, though I guess I'll get used to that.
Just wondering was everybody wearing masks? I tried to make one but it isn't very good so I may just tie a bandanna around my face or use my winter neck scarf that I can put around my face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter