Airmiles Armchair Chatter

The daily DD update....
Things have been a little quiet this week. They have been busy reading scripts, learning rules, learning character stories and working in costumes. She injured her ankle on Thursday which required treatment so somehow I end up as the middle man...calling the athletic therapist, calling DH and coordinating everything all while I was dealing with my own work. DD Uber'd half way home, DH met her and drove her the rest of the way (on his lunch break), then I left early to drive her to the appointment and back to Toronto. That was fun....said no one. Anyway, her ankle is feeling better but still tender. One of the handlers told the cast yesterday that if they had to jump into the show today she would be confident that they had it. She also said that she has never had a group pick it up so quickly or so well. I'm going to head out in a few minutes to drive downtown to pick DD up....she 'can't' hobble to Union to get the train. She is coming home for the night....tomorrow is their day off.

If anyone has any info to share I would greatly appreciate it.....kindle VS Amazon tablet. I was thinking that the tablet would be more useable later on. Although, maybe DD will get into the e-reader thing over actual books :confused3
I have both. I got my Kindle first and loved reading books on it. My son gave me the Amazon tablet and it's great for books, games and surfing the web when I don't feeling like jumping on my laptop. The only thing I don't like about it is that I am limited to apps available through Amazon (ie couldn't download the WestJet app when travelling)

Kindle I believe also has a reader that allows you to surf the web etc.

For versatility I would say go with the Amazon tablet.

I have both. I got my Kindle first and loved reading books on it. My son gave me the Amazon tablet and it's great for books, games and surfing the web when I don't feeling like jumping on my laptop. The only thing I don't like about it is that I am limited to apps available through Amazon (ie couldn't download the WestJet app when travelling)

Kindle I believe also has a reader that allows you to surf the web etc.

For versatility I would say go with the Amazon tablet.
Both are basically the same price. I was not aware that you couldn’t download some apps to the tablet. It might not be the best option for me then. I’m thinking that I would use it when I travel and would want to download Netflix or Crave.

For e readers if you plan on getting books from your public library check what platform
they use. My library uses cloud Library and with my KOBO I have to download to my PC first and then to the Kobo which is fine until you are away and don’t have a laptop.

I would prefer a direct download like I can to my phone ( I don’t like reading on my phone)

For e readers if you plan on getting books from your public library check what platform
they use. My library uses cloud Library and with my KOBO I have to download to my PC first and then to the Kobo which is fine until you are away and don’t have a laptop.

I would prefer a direct download like I can to my phone ( I don’t like reading on my phone)
I literally just discovered that there is a Kindle app for iOS. She’s taking her Macbook and has a new 13 pro max. I’m going to talk to her about going that route over buying a Kindle. She also needs to get Google fi which is going to cost around $100/month. The costs just keep adding up….and I’m somehow going to end up paying for all this stuff.

Just talked to her and …nope not reading on her phone.
DH has an Amazon Fire tablet and he just showed me that it came with the Kindle app.

I’m so confused!

This Kindle VS table thing is giving me a :headache: I was all set to get the Kindle...partially because it's on the Amazon list and I have that max pass. So 40X the miles. Then I looked at the Fire tablet again and realized that the newest version can support Netflix, Disney+, Kindle and a bunch of others which is what I want for down the road use. If I get the newest version and upgrade the capacity the price between the 2 devices is the same. I'm obsessing over the miles this weekend. Maybe I need to just walk away from the whole thing right now. I'm trying to get my Christmas shopping done.....I have been exclusively online, Black Friday shopping for several years now and LOVE it. I still need to figure something out for my mother....not a single idea.

Both are basically the same price. I was not aware that you couldn’t download some apps to the tablet. It might not be the best option for me then. I’m thinking that I would use it when I travel and would want to download Netflix or Crave.
No issues there. I have Netflix and Disney Plus loaded on my Fire tablet. I'm sure Crave would work as well. I downloaded a bunch of shows before taking a flight and watched them while flying instead of using the options on the plane.

No issues there. I have Netflix and Disney Plus loaded on my Fire tablet. I'm sure Crave would work as well. I downloaded a bunch of shows before taking a flight and watched them while flying instead of using the options on the plane.
we only run into issues with Netflix. If more than 2 of us want to download shows, it wont work. I dont need to upgrade to the 4 devices So I tell the girls to figure it out.

we only run into issues with Netflix. If more than 2 of us want to download shows, it wont work. I dont need to upgrade to the 4 devices So I tell the girls to figure it out.
LOL....we have Netflix that only DD and I use, we have Crave that only I use and Amazon Prime that DD and DH use. So no issues with downloads. Anyway, DH would be totally fine with nothing....he's weird.

So late last night I got a case of FOMO and ordered the tablet. I had to figure out where to get it from in order to still get the 20X miles.....Best Buy for the win. My shopping in now almost done. Oddly, it was done this year frantically and without much in the way of a plan. Does anyone have any ideas for an 82yo woman? Every year seems to be similar stuff....books, PJ's, fuzzy socks, bath products, McD's card (she loves their coffee). I feel like I need to change it up this year.

LOL....we have Netflix that only DD and I use, we have Crave that only I use and Amazon Prime that DD and DH use. So no issues with downloads. Anyway, DH would be totally fine with nothing....he's weird.

So late last night I got a case of FOMO and ordered the tablet. I had to figure out where to get it from in order to still get the 20X miles.....Best Buy for the win. My shopping in now almost done. Oddly, it was done this year frantically and without much in the way of a plan. Does anyone have any ideas for an 82yo woman? Every year seems to be similar stuff....books, PJ's, fuzzy socks, bath produc
Always a dilemma at our house. I'm not 82 (yet) but my children are always asking me what I want for gifts. I don't need 'stuff', I'm trying to get rid of things as we are starting the journey of downsizing. I don't 'need' anything.
What has been popular with me lately are the things that disappear after use, such as teas, bath products, gift cards for restaurants. Items that I don't need to find a place for. I enjoy a cup of tea as much as I enjoy that glass figurine that was once a gift, that I now have to figure out what to do with.
Not sure if that helps at all but I thought I might mention how it is for us. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be an excellent gift. It's always nice to be remembered.

Does anyone have any ideas for an 82yo woman? Every year seems to be similar stuff....books, PJ's, fuzzy socks, bath products, McD's card (she loves their coffee). I feel like I need to change it up this year.
My sister always gives her MIL stamps for her to mail her cards and stuff. Does she need any new bed pillows, if yes get her those as well as new pillow cases. This year my Mom wants new bed pillows so I am doing a themed gift - bed pillows with new pillowcases and 1 couch pillow with interchangeable pillow cases that I am going to make. I think the couch pillow can be used outdoors as well without a pillow case.
If she is into puzzles get her some of those and then once they are done they can be donated to a thrift store or seniors centre. Poof item gone.

That's a great list. Some really interesting items. So here's the thing about my mom....she's not a typical senior. She does not look or behave (usually)like she's in her 80's. Only in the last year she has slowed down a little after a diagnosis and that is likely due to her fatalist attitude about it.

Always a dilemma at our house. I'm not 82 (yet) but my children are always asking me what I want for gifts. I don't need 'stuff', I'm trying to get rid of things as we are starting the journey of downsizing. I don't 'need' anything.
What has been popular with me lately are the things that disappear after use, such as teas, bath products, gift cards for restaurants. Items that I don't need to find a place for. I enjoy a cup of tea as much as I enjoy that glass figurine that was once a gift, that I now have to figure out what to do with.
Not sure if that helps at all but I thought I might mention how it is for us. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be an excellent gift. It's always nice to be remembered.
That's our situation too....nothing really that we/I need and if there is something I want, I buy it. Bought myself some things this weekend and did think that I shouldn't as Christmas is coming. The sales were great.

My mom currently thinks that she might have a year or two left and is cleaning out her house. Every time I'm over there she ask me about a certain item, if I want it or not. She says, I'll put your name on it. WTH! So she def doesn't want 'stuff'. I'm just wondering if she thinks I'm being lazy in getting her basically the same stuff every year. We tried doing no gifts one year and she got mad.

My sister always gives her MIL stamps for her to mail her cards and stuff. Does she need any new bed pillows, if yes get her those as well as new pillow cases. This year my Mom wants new bed pillows so I am doing a themed gift - bed pillows with new pillowcases and 1 couch pillow with interchangeable pillow cases that I am going to make. I think the couch pillow can be used outdoors as well without a pillow case.
If she is into puzzles get her some of those and then once they are done they can be donated to a thrift store or seniors centre. Poof item gone.
Also great ideas. I looked at some puzzles yesterday but I've never in my life seen her do anything like that. My mom does know how to knit but hasn't done it in years. I thought about getting her some pattern books and all the supplies....but what she would knit, I have no idea. I certainly do not want any hats or slippers.

I agree with Tink and Judy
Consumables are the way to go.
I just started my 60's and I do not need anything,,,, I asked my sons for
Tim Hortons/McDonald's / Starbucks gift cards.
Hugs Mel
Oh ya....I'm good with gift cards. I think I might tell DH that I want a shopping weekend in the US..... see how that goes. What I really want is a WDW Christmas weekend but that's not happening.....I'm busy with work and DD has abandoned me. I mentioned it to DH and his answer was.....go by yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter