• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airlines change fees-Boston/Manchester

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
I am struggling with what to do about airfare. I much prefer to fly direct with a little one. Is Southwest the best airline in terms of no bag fees, no change fees, no cancellation fees with ability to use those tickets within a year of purchase if something should come up etc? It seems as though Southwest out of Manchester direct is very expensive. I am waiting for bonus points from the Chase Visa to go into my rapid rewards account but it could take 6 more weeks-trip is last week in April/first week of May. Not sure I should wait that long. If I shuffle things around I can get $200ish round trip per person but it's out of Boston, not the greatest times and not on Southwest so fees for bags, changing etc.
I've only flown Southwest in the past 10 years so am unfamiliar. And clearly manchester is easiest.....
Portland Maine is an hour from us as well but I'd assume their prices are even more. The nice part about Boston is we can fly out on one airline and back on another if the price is right since more come and go from there.....

I believe that you prefer to fly non-stop, which is not the same thing as direct.

You need to investigate fares from your preferred airport for all the airlines which fly your route. It's possible that even with added fees, such as for checked bags, Southwest may not be your cheapest option.

We much prefer to fly out of Manchester too; SW is the cheapest from there, but you missed the nonstop cheap flights for April. We have our tickets for the end of April already, $286. We are using AirTran and flying out of Bos since the fares were cheapest with them and out of Bos.

Sw flies out of Bos too and may be worth investigating.

I believe JetBlue has free flight change, but not sure.

I agree that you want nonstop; direct may have a stop in there, or two!

Good luck!

I meant non stop. I am waiting for southwest bonus points from getting the credit card I just got from Southwest. Boston still has some reasonable fares but not the best times and I prefer Manchester! Ugh!

Seems like I can $250 out of Boston on Jet Blue which isn't too bad. Just wish I could use SW rapid rewards points! SW doesn't have non stop out of Boston. Are you flying non stop on AirTran? Did you have to pay for seat assignments and luggage??? Thanks!!!

Donna M said:
We much prefer to fly out of Manchester too; SW is the cheapest from there, but you missed the nonstop cheap flights for April. We have our tickets for the end of April already, $286. We are using AirTran and flying out of Bos since the fares were cheapest with them and out of Bos.

Sw flies out of Bos too and may be worth investigating.

I believe JetBlue has free flight change, but not sure.

I agree that you want nonstop; direct may have a stop in there, or two!

Good luck!

$286 per person round trip on AirTran Boston- Orlando for end of April??

I don't know what days you need to fly, but I see $90 each way non stop on Jet blue flying on Mondays or Tuesday. I don't think you will get much cheaper.

thanks....trying to not take the kiddo out of school for too many days which is my issue with airfare....resort booked for Sunday April 28-Sat May 4.....think my flying dates are my problem. wonder if I should try to change my dates or just add some days on one end or the other for now and then change it....hmmmmm

thanks....trying to not take the kiddo out of school for too many days which is my issue with airfare....resort booked for Sunday April 28-Sat May 4.....think my flying dates are my problem. wonder if I should try to change my dates or just add some days on one end or the other for now and then change it....hmmmmm

Portland has a Southwest flight to Orlando on the 28th for $204 pp with a direct flight (short layover without changing planes) that leaves at 6:05 am. And a return flight on the 4th for $184 pp direct flight (short layover no plane change). However it lands at 10:05 pm which may be late for your kids.

I believe that Portland no longer has any non stop flights to Orlando.

Good luck I hope you find something!!

Airtran BOS-MCO as low as $109 going down and $101 coming back but there is a bag fee $25 for the 1st bag and $35 for the 2nd bag.

I am looking for the same thing too but for the week before. Having a hard time with price.

Airtran BOS-MCO as low as $109 going down and $101 coming back but there is a bag fee $25 for the 1st bag and $35 for the 2nd bag.

I am looking for the same thing too but for the week before. Having a hard time with price.

It seems that Boston to Orlando never is included in the cheap fare specials that come out. It stinks.
Good luck!!!

$286 per person round trip on AirTran Boston- Orlando for end of April??

Yup-that's the advantage of booking early, if you can. 4/19-4/29 We did not pay extra for seats since it's only my dh and me. We only use carry on.

Right now the same tickets are $455.

I hope you're able to find a good fare.

We're on a 7 am flight and that's plenty early since we need to get to Boston from NH. A 6am flight with kids is a miserable way to start a vacation!

If it was me, I think I'd sit back and wait for awhile. I fly out of BDL, but occasionally watch MHT. If you are going 4/29 or later, I think there may still be an opportunity for low fares - even on SWA.

For our recently completed December trip (12/13-12/21) I, too thought I had missed the low fares. I wasn't sure of dates when SWA first opened, and all through September, the fares were higher than I had seen them. Finally, there was a small dip on 10/17 and I bought. from then through 11/12, I changed them four times ending up with the cheapest fares I've had in 3 years $66 down, $84 back.

The only caveat is if you're flying on the weekend at the end of Patriot's day week, that might be harder to get a discount fare.

Many times, I've gotten my best fare 3-8 weeks prior to travel.

For our recently completed December trip (12/13-12/21) I, too thought I had missed the low fares. I wasn't sure of dates when SWA first opened, and all through September, the fares were higher than I had seen them. Finally, there was a small dip on 10/17 and I bought. from then through 11/12, I changed them four times ending up with the cheapest fares I've had in 3 years $66 down, $84 back.

I have never been lucky with fares like that; I keep checking and my flights (nonstop) only go up. My problem is that I fly during school vacation week and want nonstop.

Yup-that's the advantage of booking early, if you can. 4/19-4/29 We did not pay extra for seats since it's only my dh and me. We only use carry on.

Right now the same tickets are $455.

I hope you're able to find a good fare.

We're on a 7 am flight and that's plenty early since we need to get to Boston from NH. A 6am flight with kids is a miserable way to start a vacation!

My tickets from Portland have gone from $376 to $743. I purchased one leg in Aug and the other in Oct. Of course the flight down is the one that has gone up the most as it is a prime early morning flight.

How far are you from Providence? We found it a lot to cheaper to stay at a hotel and then take an early flight out of Providence rather than just flying from Manchester.

I have never been lucky with fares like that; I keep checking and my flights (nonstop) only go up. My problem is that I fly during school vacation week and want nonstop.

We had a a few years there when we, too, were on the school vacation calendar.
That strategy would never work for us presidents week! But I did find that April vacation was more forgiving.

DD will be in college next year, which means we can travel whenever we want:cool1:

We had a a few years there when we, too, were on the school vacation calendar.
That strategy would never work for us presidents week! But I did find that April vacation was more forgiving.

DD will be in college next year, which means we can travel whenever we want:cool1:

When my kids were both finally in college we took advantage of my son's break and went late Feb into early Mar and spent some time in Ft Myers for spring training!! We loved it!!

firstwdw - Check your dates!

I just saw where MHT-MCO for 4/29 is $109. I didn't check all dates...

And as for your original question, personally I love SWA and prefer to book with them. THere are no change fees, if you had to cancel last minute you could use the credit for another flight a year from date of booking. No baggage fees, and personally, I prefer the open seating boarding.

Good luck!

Anne

THANK YOU!!!! I went into my rapid rewards and my 50,000 points posted TODAY-one day after the statement closing! YIPPEE!!!!! And the rates are so good that I can get all 3 of us down and back non-stop from Manchester.
I am sitting here in the cold sicker than sick with sick kid and sick husband and can't really imagine a Disney vacation right now but I need to wrap my head around this! YAY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter