Air conditioning on Friendship Boats

focusondisney

DIS Veteran
Hi!!

A few months ago there was a post about how hot the friendship boats that run from Epcot to the Studios were. It was during a hot stretch in June, I think. Seemed like there was no air conditioning running on the boats at all.

Just wondering if anyone back recently can give an update, has it gotten any better? I know they haven't been particularily cool for a few years, but the comments earlier this summer sounded worse than usual. Thanks for your thoughts!!:wave2:

July 4th week we found it unbearable during the day. My uncle was so overcome from the heat on the boat that he had to get off of the boat at S/D and walked back to the BCV in 90 degree weather. The boat was very corwded. We always try to sit in the front row where the CM's have fans blowing. The boats used to be air conditoned years ago and it wsa always refreshing to get inside the boat. Sort of like getting into a cool bus after a hot day at the parks. I am not sure why they no longer have them air conditioned. It may not be so bad if they would allow thew windows to open.

I was at WDW Aug 9-14 and the boats sometimes had the AC on, but with the doors open it seemed to be a waste. It is odd though as the windows do not have the ability to be opened by guests which I am pretty sure they use to be able to do? If they are going to run the AC but have the front two doors 'windows' open plus the back door.... what is the point?

The boats overall were definitely not a 'break from the heat' like the other forms of transportation in WDW normally are :(

Good luck!

We were there the 13-20 and never used the boats but as we were walking to and from the Studios and Epcot they would be making their rounds and the doors were open at all times. I can remember when the windows would open for a breeze at least. We find it quicker to walk from the BW to the Studios or Epcot.

I noticed the same thing when we were there a couple of weeks ago. We thought we would escape the unbearable heat and jump on one of the boats..what a mistake!!! I t was soo hot.

The doors being open may be the CMs attempt to move air in the boats. Not that it works with a full boat.

I think they do have A/C but as others have said the combination of the doors open,a crowded boat and temperatures in the 90's are no match for the A/C,it's still going to feel a bit hot,for some reason every time I ride these I'm near the back standing next to a fan on the floor.

Just returned from a week at BWV. Due to my eldest dd's aversion to walking, we used the boats quite a bit between BW and DHS/Epcot (I know..unbelievable). For the most part, the boats were cooler than outside. The pilots seemed to be messing around with the vents above them, on the roof, quite a bit on one trip. They have fans going which helped..but only if you were seated close to the front. They did keep the doors closed early in the day, but later on, once it got opressively hot/humid, they opened them to get some flow through.
While there is not a huge amount of a/c on the boats, there is some. But not much. It makes a small dent in the heat.

Just there last week and yes the boats were hot, but not nearly as hot as it was in the parks! I would definitely have enjoyed them more if they were nice and cold! If you sit outside, you can get a little bit of a breeze.

I used to always say how cold it was on the boats and how refreshing it was when we stayed at YC, BC, BWV....this was just in the last few years too....we rode a Friendship boat in May this year and almost passed out from the heat. it was like traveling in an oven.

I don't know if this is economy changes or what but I know for a fact that there used to be a/c and GOOD a/c on those boats.:snooty::goodvibes

OK, just a guess on my part. I think the original A/C system on the boats might have failed, couldn't get parts, whatever, but they don't work anymore. To 'fix' the problem Disney put small A/C units on the roofs, the kind that you'd normally see on a camper, and they just aren't up to the job of cooling the boats on hot days when loaded with guests. I just try to avoid them now on any warm/hot day, not worth it, I'd rather walk.

Thanks for all the replies!!:flower3:

I guess this is the thing I'm least looking forward to...the hot boats. While we've enjoyed the walk from & to the Yacht club before, I've got some chronic foot issues so using transportation when possible makes life a little less painful. But no matter really, We'll be at our favorite place so this will be a minor blip. We're lucky to be able to have 2 vacations scheduled in this bad economy, hopefully I'll remember that when I'm sweating on the boat!!:goodvibes

Just there last week and yes the boats were hot, but not nearly as hot as it was in the parks! I would definitely have enjoyed them more if they were nice and cold! If you sit outside, you can get a little bit of a breeze.

I agree; the parks were HOT. When we were on the boats, I preferred to stand directly underneath the AC unit, where it blew coolish air.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter