Air Canada to charge bag fees on flights to the US

I am not sure it's that Air Canada "don't care" more to do with the fact they are losing millions ..their base fares are't bad..but the tax gouging puts them over the top when comparing.:confused3

I am not sure it's that Air Canada "don't care" more to do with the fact they are losing millions ..their base fares are't bad..but the tax gouging puts them over the top when comparing.:confused3

With all due respect, their base fares suck. For a one way ticket to MCO, it would cost me the same as a round trip ticket....that isn't even including their taxes. It is still cheaper for me to drive into the US and get a flight into Canada, if I want to fly out West, or East. The base fare for AC, is absolutely ridiculous. It's that alone that will have me flying with other carriers, and the fact that I'm 30 min from an american airport.

Well YOU might be that close to Buffalo and I am 20 minutes to Pearson so it's all relative. And sometimes, when you compare apples to apples...as I did today. Air Canada to Tampa, Fl was $129 each way and Jetblue (which changes in JFK) was $148. Southwest was more. So...I always price shop and sometimes AC is ahead! Till the taxes are factored in anyways...:confused3

Base fare into Tampa isn't great either. Depends on when you can fly. I don't plan my vacation around flight prices. I have to plan it around when I have time off. Compare apples to apples?? Say what?? Fly anywhere you want and 90% of the time, AC is going to have a higher price tag. Ive checked AC for most flights that I have taken elsewhere....always comes out higher. Then add your taxes. Base fare is usually, and note usually, higher with them.

Nothing is stopping you from going to the US. It's not a days drive. Its a simple drive from TO. Your not far to save money. And most of the time, you would. Jetblue and Southwest aren't the only american airlines that fly out of BUF. Try Niagara Falls. Cheaper than both of those. And they fly to Tampa for $59.

I do always look at Buffalo when booking flights - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I fly a lot...my DD lives in NYC and I bring her home a lot too. We do Florida at least 4-6 times a year...but I can tell you, sometimes AC is less that Jetblue/Southwest. I am pretty picky whom I fly with ...so I check the ones I am okay with and if they are less, after factoring in gas, airport parking and the border which sometimes is good and sometimes not so...then I go for it. Example: I have a daughter flying home from MCO this Monday via American Airlines into Toronto. It was less than any Buffalo fares she could find. Same day-I am driving to Buffalo to send the other daughter on Jetblue back to NYC because they beat both AC and Porter costs at time of booking. So yes, apples to apples--routes to routes. It has a lot of variables.

This is discouraging. We just got back today from MCO, flew SW through Buffalo. We'll be doing AC again later this fall, for the first time. We live close to Pearson, and for a short trip thought this would make sense.

The truth is we have perpetually frustrated with AC's lines at MCO (let's face it, the resort check in is a wonderful time-saving service). And now they want to charge us more to check in those bags, after waiting for 30 minutes just to get to the podium? Not good.

The key to the issue, I believe, is that as U.S. airlines pared back services (free baggage) they also pared prices. In AC's case, the prices have not been pared at all.

Today as we landed in Buffalo, a child behind us said to grandma: "I thought you hated WestJet."
Grandma: "No, I hate Air Canada, and will never fly with them again."
The entire family then went into a mocking scenario of an AC pilot on the PA system explaining a delay.

Southwest got us in early to MCO, and in early to Buffalo. Bags fly free, as they say.

The key to the issue, I believe, is that as U.S. airlines pared back services (free baggage) they also pared prices. In AC's case, the prices have not been pared at all.

Totally agree. They missed half of the equation. Their move to Bag fees also ties in with AC's move to integrate more with continental/united. Except of course they missed the pared back services and prices ...

I'm another that prefers driving into the States rather than paying Air Canada's fees. And I do find WestJet charges more than AirCanada.

Round-trip September 2010 family of 4.
- AirCanada wanted $1,800
- WestJet wanted $2195
- paid JetBlue $637 US (still under $700 CAN!)

$1,100 cheaper!! That was just too huge of a price difference. We drove to Buffalo, stayed overnight with a park & fly, and stayed again overnight on the way back.

Priced out Toronto to LAX Oct 2011 to get an idea of cost for October 2012:
- AirCanada, round-trip, direct flight!, family of 4 = $2,443 (rounded-up) + $340 for 6 suitcases
- WestJet (same details), connecting flights (boo) = $2,901. And that's on a seat sale fare! I would not pay more for a connecting flight when I can get a direct flight cheaper. :confused3

Priced out of Detroit to Lax same as above:
- Delta, round-trip, direct flights, family of 4 = $1,534 (rounded-up) + $340 for 6 suitcases

It's $909 cheaper (treating $ as par) to drive to Detroit. Now we will still have to pay extra gas, parking at the airport, and possibly 1 overnight stay. But I doubt that will eat up the entire $900 savings.

I have a friend who is a pilot and he told me that part of the reason for the high cost for flights from Toronto (besides the taxes) is a high airport fee. All airlines pay a fee to fly into an airport and apparently Toronto has one of the highest fees in the world. He said some airlines won't fly into Toronto for that reason.

It is true that Pearson has the highest landing fees in the world! Go figure that???? Surely not even in the top 10 airports if you ask me...

:confused3

Whaattt? :headache:

To make sure I am understanding this correctly...so if we are going to WDW in March, but we book tomorrow, we still get a free bag?

Whaattt? :headache:

To make sure I am understanding this correctly...so if we are going to WDW in March, but we book tomorrow, we still get a free bag?

You've got until Sept. 6th to book to not be charged for the bag.

Thanks damo. And I'm guessing the free bag is per person not per group, correct? Would children count as being able to each have one piece of luggage? And... does this include carryon luggage?

Thanks again! I'm still a little ticked AC though.

Thanks damo. And I'm guessing the free bag is per person not per group, correct? Would children count as being able to each have one piece of luggage? And... does this include carryon luggage?

Thanks again! I'm still a little ticked AC though.

It is a bag per person charge. Carryon luggage is fine but remember you are only allowed one piece of carryon luggage and a purse/computer bag.

When I did the pricing for our flight in OCT I paid $250 LESS with Westjet than what I would have paid with Air Canada (and that's not adding in the baggage fees - which would have been 1 bag per person x 4 people)....

I know that Westjet sometimes can not be the best, but I will take them for now! :)

Does anyone know if AC charges for baby things (i.e. carseat, stroller, playpen, etc)??

Westjet is allowing 2 baby items - so we may have to pay for a 3rd item (as we are bringing one each of the ones listed above).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter