• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

After Open Heart Surgery….

Mrs~Incredible

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! Hubby is having open heart surgery this May to repair his valve. Full sternotomy. Surgeon expects him to be “90%” healed in 3 months.

Hoping to return to WDW in the fall (which would be 6 months afterwards). We will talk to his medical team to review his precautions for rides, walking etc. We won’t book anything until after surgery and we see how DH is feeling.

We’ve been to Disney almost every year, it’s a home away from home. This year DD will be 12. We know the rides, the shows, the places to rest etc. I’m thinking that if we get medical clearance, it will be a nice “goal” to work towards and look forward to.

1. Please share if you have any tips/tricks/things to think about when you are within the one year out of surgery.

2. Riding roller coasters will be decided by the medical team- and I’ve googled a bunch- but wondering if anyone can share any experience with rides after major surgery. He does love his Everest LOL. Would be so amazing if he is cleared for it and feels good enough to ride it and gets to do it again!

Thanks in advance! 🤗

Hoping and praying for a good outcome- and Disney is always the best distraction for my anxious mind!

I hope your DH's procedure is as successful as my husband's was. I was a nervous wreck until the doctor told me he came through with flying colors. This was during the height of Covid so I was doubly concerned.

He is 3 years post-surgery and doing fine. Last year was our first return to the parks and DH rode, Big Thunder, Seven Dwarves and Guardians. I will say Guardians was the one I was worried about the most. There is a little bench you can rest on after the ride and they had medical staff who came over to us when they saw how distressed DH looked. I felt bad. I tried to warn him but he wanted to try it. He said he loved it but would not ride it again. Lesson learned.

This coming trip we will focus on Peter Pan and Its a small world type rides. :)

I hope your DH's procedure is as successful as my husband's was. I was a nervous wreck until the doctor told me he came through with flying colors. This was during the height of Covid so I was doubly concerned.

He is 3 years post-surgery and doing fine. Last year was our first return to the parks and DH rode, Big Thunder, Seven Dwarves and Guardians. I will say Guardians was the one I was worried about the most. There is a little bench you can rest on after the ride and they had medical staff who came over to us when they saw how distressed DH looked. I felt bad. I tried to warn him but he wanted to try it. He said he loved it but would not ride it again. Lesson learned.

This coming trip we will focus on Peter Pan and Its a small world type rides. :)
Thank you!! There is so much we love about just “being” there :). Guess we will just have to wait and see what his doc says and how he feels. Appreciate you writing in!

Thank you!! There is so much we love about just “being” there :). Guess we will just have to wait and see what his doc says and how he feels. Appreciate you writing in!
I truly hope all goes well with your husband's procedure and that he enjoys vibrant health once fully recuperated. This upcoming trip in May will be a bittersweet trip for us as I have a feeling DH won't want to return to a Disney park. He does like Disney cruises though and fortunately my bestie and I are still fanatical about the parks so our DVC points will be put to good use.

I like how you said there is so much to love just being there. That is so true. We will only have 2 half days at the parks. The rest of the time we will relax, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy some of our favorite restaurants.

I truly hope all goes well with your husband's procedure and that he enjoys vibrant health once fully recuperated. This upcoming trip in May will be a bittersweet trip for us as I have a feeling DH won't want to return to a Disney park. He does like Disney cruises though and fortunately my bestie and I are still fanatical about the parks so our DVC points will be put to good use.

I like how you said there is so much to love just being there. That is so true. We will only have 2 half days at the parks. The rest of the time we will relax, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy some of our favorite restaurants.
Hope you have a wonderful time and get to enjoy some of the flower and garden festival!

my son had his valve done almost 3 years ago at age 9 and was only in the hospital 2.5 days. this was his second ohs. i would have to say 3 months is way too soon for a big trip. my son was cleared for school within 3 weeks but got the flu from being there than hospitalized from it…way too soon to be around germs. they feel pretty good after a few weeks but their bodies need extra time to heal. they will be weaker. they need 6 weeks to even be allowed to carry over 5 lbs and to lift theirarms above head. we just started doing roller coasters (nothing to crazy but 7d and slinky) and he isfine but it scares me. let him heal so nobody worries and you can really enjoy the trip.

my son had his valve done almost 3 years ago at age 9 and was only in the hospital 2.5 days. this was his second ohs. i would have to say 3 months is way too soon for a big trip. my son was cleared for school within 3 weeks but got the flu from being there than hospitalized from it…way too soon to be around germs. they feel pretty good after a few weeks but their bodies need extra time to heal. they will be weaker. they need 6 weeks to even be allowed to carry over 5 lbs and to lift theirarms above head. we just started doing roller coasters (nothing to crazy but 7d and slinky) and he isfine but it scares me. let him heal so nobody worries and you can really enjoy the trip.
Thanks- DH would be 6 months after - but that still may be too soon. Best wishes and good health to your DS!

My daughter has heart disease and her cardiologist allows her to do coasters but not things that spin super fast to give you that weightless feeling. Mission space orange version is strictly forbidden to her. Not sure if it will apply to your husband but something else to discuss with his Dr when you are asking about coasters

Best of luck to you and your husband. My dad had it many years ago (I would assume he would have been older than your husband), but I remember he pushed himself too hard afterward and ended up separating the area in his sternum. He owned a company and was climbing into a dump truck. Anyway, it wasn't smart, but he thought he was fine and then there wasn't anything they could do to fix it again.

Just stick with the doctors and have fun no matter what!

My daughter has heart disease and her cardiologist allows her to do coasters but not things that spin super fast to give you that weightless feeling. Mission space orange version is strictly forbidden to her. Not sure if it will apply to your husband but something else to discuss with his Dr when you are asking about coasters
Thank you! We are all too familiar with the orange side 🤢 - we will be happier on the “tame” side anyway. Thanks for writing in!

Best of luck to you and your husband. My dad had it many years ago (I would assume he would have been older than your husband), but I remember he pushed himself too hard afterward and ended up separating the area in his sternum. He owned a company and was climbing into a dump truck. Anyway, it wasn't smart, but he thought he was fine and then there wasn't anything they could do to fix it again.

Just stick with the doctors and have fun no matter what!
Yikes!! My husband is 53 but that is a scary story. Do you remember how long after his surgery this happened?

My mother in-law had to have a quintuple bypass and that was about 8 months before we went to Disney (it was a stipulation by me and husband to act as a buffer between her and some less than pleasant relatives she needed to visit).

It didn't take much convincing since she got to experience Disney with her one and only granddaughter.

From what I remember, she had to avoid rollercoasters and she always avoided anything that spins around fast since she gets dizzy easily. We made sure she took breaks to rest, stayed hydrated and ate when needed.

Yikes!! My husband is 53 but that is a scary story. Do you remember how long after his surgery this happened?
It was probably 20 years ago so I don't recall. He grabbed the bar outside the door and when he lunged up is when it happened. He was definitely in his early 70s.

It was probably 20 years ago so I don't recall. He grabbed the bar outside the door and when he lunged up is when it happened. He was definitely in his early 70s.
Aw man that is rough. So many things can go wrong! Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi everyone! Hubby is having open heart surgery this May to repair his valve. Full sternotomy. Surgeon expects him to be “90%” healed in 3 months.

Hoping to return to WDW in the fall (which would be 6 months afterwards). We will talk to his medical team to review his precautions for rides, walking etc. We won’t book anything until after surgery and we see how DH is feeling.

We’ve been to Disney almost every year, it’s a home away from home. This year DD will be 12. We know the rides, the shows, the places to rest etc. I’m thinking that if we get medical clearance, it will be a nice “goal” to work towards and look forward to.

1. Please share if you have any tips/tricks/things to think about when you are within the one year out of surgery.

2. Riding roller coasters will be decided by the medical team- and I’ve googled a bunch- but wondering if anyone can share any experience with rides after major surgery. He does love his Everest LOL. Would be so amazing if he is cleared for it and feels good enough to ride it and gets to do it again!

Thanks in advance! 🤗

Hoping and praying for a good outcome- and Disney is always the best distraction for my anxious mind!
I was just thinking of your post this morning and wondering if your husband had his surgery and if he was doing well. Your post was memorable to me because we are DVC and have enjoyed visiting WDW annually for many years but this fall will most likely be our last trip before my own open heart surgery for valve repair/replacement. While I am looking forward to our fall trip, I am recognizing that it will be different from previous trips because my shortness of breath and exhaustion will limit my activity. I hope your husband is recovering well and would love to hear your trip report with any tips for traveling post-surgery and if he felt like 6 months was enough to fully enjoy everything. It appears there are not many people who have this experience to share any tips. Wishing you all the best.

My mom had a double bypass at the end of Feb 2022. She is a lot older than your husband (83 at the time). She listened to what the doctor told her and did what she wanted, so I started attending all appointments so I also know and make sure she does what she is supposed to do.

I took her to Disneyland about 2 months post bypass --- we are locals with passes, so we do go a lot. We mainly went so she could ride Soaring over CA before it went back in the vault. Otherwise, we went on very easy rides and shows that first time and I made sure she stayed in the wheelchair the whole time. Each visit I would let her do a few more things.

We went to Disney World in September 2022 (so about 7 months post bypass) and she did just about everything she did prior to her surgery. But she also was not a fan of Everest or Space Mountain down there so we both just skipped those. And after riding Guardians I told her that was a no for her too. But she did Test Track, Soaring, Flight of Passage, Big Thunder (that may be a skip moving forward), 7 Dwarves, Slinky Dog, Rise of the Resistance, Millennium Falcon. We had an ECV for WDW, but she has been getting one for many years at WDW due to mobility issues.

Funny story --- we took my Mom for her post op appointment about 2 weeks post bypass. I was wearing a Disneyland spirit jersey and the receptionist asked if we were heading to Disneyland after the appointment. She was totally serious too. Yes, just what I need --- take my Dad who had a hard time walking and my Mom who just had major surgery to Disneyland. Sounds like a fun day --- but no...

My mom had a double bypass at the end of Feb 2022. She is a lot older than your husband (83 at the time). She listened to what the doctor told her and did what she wanted, so I started attending all appointments so I also know and make sure she does what she is supposed to do.

I took her to Disneyland about 2 months post bypass --- we are locals with passes, so we do go a lot. We mainly went so she could ride Soaring over CA before it went back in the vault. Otherwise, we went on very easy rides and shows that first time and I made sure she stayed in the wheelchair the whole time. Each visit I would let her do a few more things.

We went to Disney World in September 2022 (so about 7 months post bypass) and she did just about everything she did prior to her surgery. But she also was not a fan of Everest or Space Mountain down there so we both just skipped those. And after riding Guardians I told her that was a no for her too. But she did Test Track, Soaring, Flight of Passage, Big Thunder (that may be a skip moving forward), 7 Dwarves, Slinky Dog, Rise of the Resistance, Millennium Falcon. We had an ECV for WDW, but she has been getting one for many years at WDW due to mobility issues.

Funny story --- we took my Mom for her post op appointment about 2 weeks post bypass. I was wearing a Disneyland spirit jersey and the receptionist asked if we were heading to Disneyland after the appointment. She was totally serious too. Yes, just what I need --- take my Dad who had a hard time walking and my Mom who just had major surgery to Disneyland. Sounds like a fun day --- but no...
Fantastic story, thank you for writing in!

I was just thinking of your post this morning and wondering if your husband had his surgery and if he was doing well. Your post was memorable to me because we are DVC and have enjoyed visiting WDW annually for many years but this fall will most likely be our last trip before my own open heart surgery for valve repair/replacement. While I am looking forward to our fall trip, I am recognizing that it will be different from previous trips because my shortness of breath and exhaustion will limit my activity. I hope your husband is recovering well and would love to hear your trip report with any tips for traveling post-surgery and if he felt like 6 months was enough to fully enjoy everything. It appears there are not many people who have this experience to share any tips. Wishing you all the best.
I will pm you 😊

The system isn’t letting me pm you. Maybe send one to me and I can reply?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter