After last night, I'm confident DD would be able to manage WDW in power wheelchair

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
My 2 DDs, a friend and I spent last evening (well, really night because it began at 10pm) at a Harry Potter book party. It was held at a local Barnes & Noble store and we all had a great time, but I have never see so many people packed into such tight space in my life (and we have been to WDW over Easter and New Years).
Besides having to advance slowly in line for the different games/attractions at the store, there were displays that stuck out and people coming out unexpectedly from all over. DD din't hit anyone, although one lady backed up while taking a picture and almost landed in her lap. I'm not sure if the lady even realized DD was there, she sort of backed and crouched a little bit to get her picture framed. DD stopped with the lady hovering in the air a few inches above DD's lap. The lady just went on taking her picture and when she walked forward back to her party, we went on our way. There were several people who stepped right over DD's feet as they darted out of aisles in front of her. I, myself, am not so trusting that she will stop if I tried that, especially as she had taken her glasses off so she could wear the Harry Potter glasses that were handed out. Also, by midnight, she was getting pretty tired.
My oldest DD said the whole scene reminded her of being at the big Disney store at DD right before closing when everyone is wildly scrambling all over trying to grab their last purchases before the store closes.

Good for her, Sue! I wish we had started taking my daughter's chair or renting one sooner. It is a really wonderful change for her. I'm sure it will be for your DD too.

My daughter is upstairs right now reading the new Harry Potter book although we didn't brave our local bookstore's party. I go to bed too early!! When I picked up our copies this am the salesclerk said they had 900 people at their midnight party. This is a locally owned bookstore. They are fun books aren't they?!

Good for you and your DD, Sue! I know what you mean about people not looking for the power wc. We're trying to teach our son to watch out for other people, but at the same time, to let him know he has a right to that space, as well!

Good luck taking the power chair to WDW. We're going to visit my best friend from college in LA this summer, and as a reward for my son's upcoming spine surgery, we're going to Disneyland, and we're taking the power chair. I'll report back how it goes!

Wade

Sue, that's great news. I have found that my daughter has a lot more patience in crowds than I do. She's been using her power chair since 6th grade (she'll be a senior this year) and she used it in WDW in 1999. I'm always amazed at what "pedestrians" will try when coming upon a power chair but my daughter is not (guess the halls of Middle and High School have been similiar for her). So our biggest problem is me, not her - I just want to yell at folks for their actions but Jackie is used to it and much more accepting of it. We leave on Monday for a 12 day trip, I'm hoping to be more mellow this time around ;) I'll be taking notes and lots of pictures so watch for a trip report written with this board in mind.

Thanks for all the good words. Now I have to be brave enough to put the wheelchair on an airplane!

Hope you have a great trip, ToriLammy. And please post a link to your trip report here after you get back. (Spoken by a person who has still not written a trip report from last March).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter