Afraid to start???

hiwaygal

Only someone as wonderful as Donna can get my PM's
My DH and I took our first trip to WDW in September. We had a Disney Wedding and "Disneymoon" all in one trip! It was really great. I saved EVERYTHING...receipts, coaster from the resort, stickers from the characters, the "postcards" that were left at our turn-down service, even a little origami swan some other guest gave us...

About two months ago, I bought two beautiful 12x12 Mickey icon albums to put everything in...

We have pictures, not as many as I would like, but about 200.

In 2 and a half years, I can buy the CD with all my wedding pictures on them (right now all I have are the proofs and they are in a little album all by themselves).

So...it's been nine months since we've been to Disney...and I want to start the scrapbooking but I'm AFRAID!!!

What if I do a layout and don't like it? What if I do a fancy layout, then get "frustrated" and all the rest end up much simpler? How should I organize these two albums?

ARRRRGGGGH!! Can anyone offer me some advice to get me started??

My best advice is to get organized first. Decide if you want to group things by day or categories like hotel, parks, meals, etc. I always make piles with the pictures I want to use along with the other stuff I have saved. It makes it much easier to know I am only scrapping one little pile instead of the mass of stuff I really have. I have always found that it is much easier once you get started. If you are worried about the fancy versus simple thing why don't you start out doing simple layouts? It is alway much easier to add more stuff to the page later. Good luck!

I a very very beginner but I work in PhotoShop on a daily basis and there is a 'rule', so here's my advice: Never, ever, ever work on the originals. If you follow that rule you never have to be afraid because you haven't destroyed any original images. Make scans, extra prints, whatever you need to to preserve the orginal image and then just scrap away. If you don't like it, nothing is lost.

I keep a notebook in my purse. Sometimes if I'm waiting at the doctors office or while DS is at swimming lessons I sketch out layout ideas. They may be an idea about which pics to put together on a page, or a page idea or a scraplift from a scrapbooking site or a book from the library. When I have some scrapbooking time, I pull out the notebook, peruse my ideas and choose one to start with. I may do it exactly as I sketched it, or I may use that as a jumping off point. I have so little scrapbooking time this is the only way I get anything done !
:wave:

I've been scrapping for a few years now and remember starting off and that overwhelming feeling.

I always get double-prints and then put the first set in a regular photo album and work with the second set.
I also decide how I want to setup my book, such as by day or by park, etc. I look at the photo's that I'm working with and start designing a layout without securing anything to the page. This way you can change and move items around till you get the look you want. Sometimes I've done this an changed the entire layout to get the right look.

Some layouts come together very quickly and others take a bit more time. Just take baby steps and try to complete sections of the album. This will help you realize that you're making progress. Sometimes the thought of doing a whole album can be overwhelming, but it's rewarding when its done.

The main thing is to remember and have FUN!

Thank you all so much for your advice and ideas!!! I really appreciate all of them!

I have done lots of different crafts, and have done some VERY simple "scrapbooks" for other trips...okay, they really weren't scrapbooks they were hyped up photo albums! :teeth:

Anyway, phantom728...your words of advice really hit home for me! You described how I would most likely approach this.

I have bought extra photo printing paper to print extra copies of the pictures...but maybe I'll have DH take the CD's back to get another whole set anyway.

I still need to get some background papers...but I did buy a set of the Creative Memories cutting system thingys today...so I think I'm on my way!!! :banana:

Thanks again!!! :)

Hi hiwaygal - I'm in the SAME boat! I've been scrapbooking for 6 years but I'm terrified of doing our DFTW! I'm gonna do the honeymoon at the Disney Scrapbooking Convention in August - I figure being back there will at least put me in the mood to scrap the Disney portion of our honeymoon ;) and I always get great ideas from other girls (and guys). But I am scared to start the wedding album. DH doesn't get it. He's like "you have a million supplies and you've been doing it for so long and your books look great, just start it" but I'm like "ACK!" I have the album (a leather album from CM that I won at a crop a few years ago) and I even got a plate engraved at Things Remembered for the front of the album, but I'm not ready! I also saved everything from planning till the end so I know I have more than enough to fill an album. Hopefully I'll get the courage to start it soon. I work from home now part-time so time is not an issue anymore but I really don't want to screw it up :confused3

And you'll love the CM cutting system, IMHO it's the best circle cutter out there. Good luck!

hiwaygal said:
My DH and I took our first trip to WDW in September. We had a Disney Wedding and "Disneymoon" all in one trip! It was really great. I saved EVERYTHING...receipts, coaster from the resort, stickers from the characters, the "postcards" that were left at our turn-down service, even a little origami swan some other guest gave us...

WOW! - you saved some really great things for your scrapbook.

hiwaygal said:
About two months ago, I bought two beautiful 12x12 Mickey icon albums to put everything in...

We have pictures, not as many as I would like, but about 200.

In 2 and a half years, I can buy the CD with all my wedding pictures on them (right now all I have are the proofs and they are in a little album all by themselves).

You can't buy the cd from your wedding for over 2 years? Is this something the photographer is holding you to or are you just saving up for it? I know wedding photographers can sometimes be tookie but making you wait 2+ years seems strange to me. (ok - does anybody besides me use the word "tookie" - pronounced "2 key" - I have heard it all my life but some people laugh at me for using it.)

hiwaygal said:
So...it's been nine months since we've been to Disney...and I want to start the scrapbooking but I'm AFRAID!!!

What if I do a layout and don't like it? What if I do a fancy layout, then get "frustrated" and all the rest end up much simpler? How should I organize these two albums?

ARRRRGGGGH!! Can anyone offer me some advice to get me started??

Like some of the other posters said - organize first. Break everything down into pages and put all the stickers/diecuts/souvineers that go with each page in an envelope or file. If you use those really big plastic files - that hold 12x12 paper - you can even put your background papers in there as you choose them.

Not all pages in a book have to be fancy. Choose a few pages to be fancy and do those first - Your portrait page, your wedding party group photo page, first dance at reception/dance with father at reception, cutting the cake & sipping champaign, throwing the bouquet/garter, what ever is special to you.
Then you can do the pages with candid photos and mix them in between the fancy pages.

I usually work in 2 page spreads and I like to "wallpaper" my CM books or use top loading books (I love toploading 8x8 books). That way you can do your pages but you can still move them around and decide the final order before you stick down your wall paper.

One more thing I sometimes do if I am really concerned about not liking the layout is putting a little bit of repositional glue on my photos and souvaneers so I can move them around (or even to a new page if I just hate the layout I have done) and decide if I like the layout before I stick them down with permanent glue.

Also - as someone else already mentioned - work with duplicate prints if possible.

Hope this helps. You can always pm or email me with more questions if you want.

Happy Scrapping!!
Sandy

:bounce:
JandJ said:
Hi hiwaygal - I'm in the SAME boat! I've been scrapbooking for 6 years but I'm terrified of doing our DFTW! I'm gonna do the honeymoon at the Disney Scrapbooking Convention in August - I figure being back there will at least put me in the mood to scrap the Disney portion of our honeymoon ;) and I always get great ideas from other girls (and guys). But I am scared to start the wedding album. DH doesn't get it. He's like "you have a million supplies and you've been doing it for so long and your books look great, just start it" but I'm like "ACK!" I have the album (a leather album from CM that I won at a crop a few years ago) and I even got a plate engraved at Things Remembered for the front of the album, but I'm not ready! I also saved everything from planning till the end so I know I have more than enough to fill an album. Hopefully I'll get the courage to start it soon. I work from home now part-time so time is not an issue anymore but I really don't want to screw it up :confused3

And you'll love the CM cutting system, IMHO it's the best circle cutter out there. Good luck!

Wha wha what?!?!?!?!?! A Disney Scrapbooking Convention????? I have never heard of this. Who, where, when, why, how much?????? Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just might be my new best friend!!! :Pinkbounc :banana: :cheer2: :yay:

My DH and I scrapped our wedding album together (back in my CM days). Guess whose pages were more ornate??? (hint: NOT the CMC's! :lmao: ) but it was something fun we did together, some pages are fancier than others and that's OK. I get tired of looking at books that are over-embellished, sometimes it really distracts from the photos, so I tend to alternate simple/dressed up.

I also think it helps to take your items and go to a crop either at a local store or a scrapbook consultant's. You'll get all kinds of feedback, plus have supplies to buy at your fingertips. You'll also have more focus and generally speaking, chocolate. :teeth:

JandJ said:

Hi Jen!!! How cool to see a "familiar face" over here!

My DH doesn't really get it either. Of course, he's still waiting for me to put all my lunchbox notes in an album (he puts a note in my lunchbox nearly every day...and I put a date on them and have saved them all...it's about three years worth!). I started that...then ran out of book! :teeth:

I didn't have a planning session, but nearly everything I got from Disney I have saved...heck, I think I even saved my check-out print out from the BWI...how sad is that!?!?!!?

OMG! Your album sounds beautiful! And that Disney Scrapbooking convention!! WOW!! That sounds WONDERFUL!!! I'm a little jealous! ;) I know you'll get great ideas there!

RealMickeysGirl said:
You can't buy the cd from your wedding for over 2 years? Is this something the photographer is holding you to or are you just saving up for it? I know wedding photographers can sometimes be tookie but making you wait 2+ years seems strange to me. (ok - does anybody besides me use the word "tookie" - pronounced "2 key" - I have heard it all my life but some people laugh at me for using it.)

Hi Sandy!

Nope...I've never heard the term "tookie" before! :rotfl:

Disney's "rules" for the photography that is included with a Disney wedding (or at least the intimate) is that you can either buy the CD right after your wedding for $1000, or you can wait three years and buy it for $99. Needless to say, I'm waiting! ;) Until then, technically Disney owns the images and all I have are small thumbnails I can't really print from.

I think I have my work cut out for me with the organizing...and I think that's what's overwhelming me a bit right now.

Thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions!

graygables said:
I also think it helps to take your items and go to a crop either at a local store or a scrapbook consultant's. You'll get all kinds of feedback, plus have supplies to buy at your fingertips. You'll also have more focus and generally speaking, chocolate. :teeth:

:rotfl: Sounds like my kinda event!!!

I'll have to see if I can find one close by...

hiwaygal said:
Hi Sandy!

Nope...I've never heard the term "tookie" before! :rotfl:

Disney's "rules" for the photography that is included with a Disney wedding (or at least the intimate) is that you can either buy the CD right after your wedding for $1000, or you can wait three years and buy it for $99. Needless to say, I'm waiting! ;) Until then, technically Disney owns the images and all I have are small thumbnails I can't really print from.

I think I have my work cut out for me with the organizing...and I think that's what's overwhelming me a bit right now.

Thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions!

Needless to say - I would be waiting the 3 years to!!

potterphreak said:
:bounce:

Wha wha what?!?!?!?!?! A Disney Scrapbooking Convention????? I have never heard of this. Who, where, when, why, how much?????? Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just might be my new best friend!!! :Pinkbounc :banana: :cheer2: :yay:

:lmao: Well, technically it's not run by Disney but it is being held at the Yacht Club

http://www.dreameventsinc.com/orlando806.htm

There are a ton of options to attend, anywhere from $100 to about $700. My birthday is August 25th so I'm just going for that day, a b-day gift from DH, then we'll have dinner that night at my fave EPCOT restaurant, then spend Saturday park-hopping. I cannot wait!!

hiwaygal said:
Hi Jen!!! How cool to see a "familiar face" over here!

My DH doesn't really get it either. Of course, he's still waiting for me to put all my lunchbox notes in an album (he puts a note in my lunchbox nearly every day...and I put a date on them and have saved them all...it's about three years worth!). I started that...then ran out of book! :teeth:

I didn't have a planning session, but nearly everything I got from Disney I have saved...heck, I think I even saved my check-out print out from the BWI...how sad is that!?!?!!?

OMG! Your album sounds beautiful! And that Disney Scrapbooking convention!! WOW!! That sounds WONDERFUL!!! I'm a little jealous! ;) I know you'll get great ideas there!
That's so cute - I put notes in DH's lunch too :goodvibes

I saved everything too - all receipts, every note, all kinds of things. I put the scrapbooking convention info in the above post. I've never been but it looks like a really big deal. I'm excited about it!

Maybe start with a different album...like a small trip. Thats what I did. Those wedding photos are intimidating and I haven't started mine yet either. I'm working on others...figure eventually I will feel up to starting the disney one. :thumbsup2

I actually plan to do our honeymoon album first, since it will be more "fun" and is much less intimidating. I've made more scrapbooks than I can count, many as gifts, so I've felt this "EEK! Where do I start?" feeling before, but I really want our wedding album to be perfect . . . and yes I know I'm a little crazy :rotfl:
But, Cherie, it looks like your wedding was about a year before ours and if you haven't done it yet, that honestly makes me feel better!

I have ideas, like I want it to be simple and elegant (like our ceremony) and I want to include some old love poem quotes and just make it very nice without too many embellishments other than nice ribbons, brads, vellum accents. Usually my albums are the "fun" style with lots of vibrant papers, stickers, die-cuts, and pages of journaling. So that's probably why I'm intimidated, this will not only be our <wedding> album but a different style than I'm used to.

Hi Cherie!! Another familiar face!

I'm not sure about a wedding album...at least not until I can get actual prints (in a few more years). And then I'm hoping it will be a bit fancier (like Jen said).

But I will start with the "regular" trip album...I'm just having trouble deciding if I want to do it by each day or by park or something else...

I think I really need to just start organizing...maybe this weekend...

I just had another thought...do you know anyone who scrapbooks? Maybe you could ask friends/family to each make you a page or two for an anniversary gift, simple and elegant like you said. That might be a jumping off point for you and it would be a lovely gift from them to add to your album.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter