Advice on Celebration of Harry Potter event in January

DisneyTravelers2008

Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)
What are your thoughts on the Celebration of Harry Potter event held in January? I have been looking into it. [1] One thing I heard was that you wait in line to get into an event and then you wait in line some more. Any input on this? [2] Do you need tickets or passes or anything in advance to attend the special events (aside from your park tickets)? If not, how do they manage crowds and make sure they have space for everyone? [3] What is your favorite part of this event and why? We have APs so I am trying to decide if we should go during this time frame to check it out. We have been to Universal several times so we are worried about missing chances for regular / standard rides and attractions….but I am not sure this is worth it. Help!?!

We were there just this last year. On Saturday Diagon Alley and Hogmeade were VERY difficult to move around in. Diagon alley was actually insane, we had to leave and go explore the rest of the park which was..... relatively slow. There are some neat things happening, particularily at the main stage in studios. I know that there are two huge convention halls somewhere where you can go and see exhibits, we never actually found these, but you have heard correctly, you will need to line up for a long time (think 2 hours plus) to get in. I would only go to those if you looked at it like a non park day. Imagine going to comic con, it just happens to be in Universal studios. Sunday was much slower and the harry potter areas were far easier to navigate.

I was hoping for cool unique shopping and treats, didn't really see much of that, just a few items here and there. What I did see a lot of was TONNES of amazing cosplay. So many people went the whole 9 yards for costumes and that was very cool.

If you are lucky you may get to see some of the actors there, they do do a Q&A session at the main stage so that can be neat. I was quite lucky, and as I was standing at the concierge desk at portofino bay hotel sunday morning, I realized I was standing right next to the actress who plays tonks in the movies :) I asked her for a photo for my daughter who was still sleeping up in our room,which she politely declined, she was in her pj's still and I understood, I actually felt guilty for even asking after.

Since you’ve never been, I would say it is worth it. Assuming things don’t change for next year, there will be two expo halls. The main one will quickly reach 2+ hour wait just to get inside. The other one you can frequently walk in later in the day. Once inside either, there are lines for nearly everything else; anywhere from a few mintutes to (most commonly) around 30 minutes to (for the props tour) 90+ minutes. If you want to see the main expo, get to the park about 20-30 minutes before early entry starts and go straight to that line. If you want to do the WB props tour, do that first.

Seeing the various panels/events with the actors/about the movies is less time consuming. The events that take place at IOA don’t fill to capacity, and there aren’t any horrible seats. The events at the music stage featuring actors fill up about 30mn ahead of time. If you don’t want to be in the back, you need to show up at least 45mn early; earlier if theres more than 2-3 people in your group.

As for crowd control- most shows/panels are offered more than once, helping spread the crowds out a bit. As already noted, expo capacity is limited.

You do not need anything special to enter, but they do sell very expensive packages that give you priority seating first come first served at the shows, and an exclusive, shorter entry line at the expos, one breakfast in the wizarding world/person, one lanyard/pin pp, and one gift per package- assuming its the same as previous years.

I go every year, and the first year we bought a package thinking that you wouldn't be able to see or do much without it....we were wrong and highly agitated that we could do nearly everything without it. The only things that you have to have a package for are the private question and answer session with the film talent at IOA and the opening ceremony after party in which you get to stay in the parks (only in the HP sections) until midnight riding all of the rides and all of the butterbeer ice cream, drinks etc that you want! They also have snacks for free and it's set up like an actual event with nice tables and several stations. Other than that the question and answer sessions are held a couple of times during the weekend for the public and you're not missing anything. The packages also allow you to skip the loooong lines into the expo which we only did that first year because it was such a HUGE let down! We're big Potter fans and there was nothing in there to justify a long line or an expensive pass so ever since that first year we have just used our AP's to go and do it all for free! Each year it gets less and less crowded to a strange degree. Last year there seemed to be no one there in comparison to the first year we went. I think people are starting to figure out that you get next to nothing extra with the package deal they offer. The Wizarding world areas do get crowded but still manageable, but those areas are always like that when I go so the only difference is that more people are in costumes. We found this past years after party to be dead as a doornail! The streets were near empty.

I go every year, and the first year we bought a package thinking that you wouldn't be able to see or do much without it....we were wrong and highly agitated that we could do nearly everything without it. The only things that you have to have a package for are the private question and answer session with the film talent at IOA and the opening ceremony after party in which you get to stay in the parks (only in the HP sections) until midnight riding all of the rides and all of the butterbeer ice cream, drinks etc that you want! They also have snacks for free and it's set up like an actual event with nice tables and several stations. Other than that the question and answer sessions are held a couple of times during the weekend for the public and you're not missing anything. The packages also allow you to skip the loooong lines into the expo which we only did that first year because it was such a HUGE let down! We're big Potter fans and there was nothing in there to justify a long line or an expensive pass so ever since that first year we have just used our AP's to go and do it all for free! Each year it gets less and less crowded to a strange degree. Last year there seemed to be no one there in comparison to the first year we went. I think people are starting to figure out that you get next to nothing extra with the package deal they offer. The Wizarding world areas do get crowded but still manageable, but those areas are always like that when I go so the only difference is that more people are in costumes. We found this past years after party to be dead as a doornail! The streets were near empty.

Are you saying that with my regular park ticket I could go to the the exhibits, expo, talks/workshops? We would only miss after hours party and the long expo line?
For the talks with movie talent - are they are everyone or just package tix holders - I was confused by your post.
Thank you.

Are you saying that with my regular park ticket I could go to the the exhibits, expo, talks/workshops? We would only miss after hours party and the long expo line?

You would *have* the long expo line if you don't buy the package. I think the poster was saying that the expo, after doing it once, wasn't worth doing again, so they aren't going to pay extra to go to it.

Almost everything is open to normal park-goers; you just have to wait.

You would *have* the long expo line if you don't buy the package. I think the poster was saying that the expo, after doing it once, wasn't worth doing again, so they aren't going to pay extra to go to it.

Almost everything is open to normal park-goers; you just have to wait.

Thanks. I did get what the poster was saying about it not being worth it, but I had no idea that many of the events were available to regular park attendees. I was trying to verify - as possible - what exactly was and was not open to regular park people. I know things could change, but it seemed like the after hours party and the 'bypass long line for expo' (plus whatever 'goodies' came with package line pin, lanyard, etc) were the only package-only items.

The only events not open to the public are a few q&a sessions with the cast, the after hours party on Friday, and meet and greets with the actors. The m&g access is only available to those buying the most expensive package. As noted already, there are two q&a's open to everybody- one on Sat, and one on Sun. The actors are also present at the main event in the evenings, and one or two sometimes show up for some of the panels at IOA.

The only events not open to the public are a few q&a sessions with the cast, the after hours party on Friday, and meet and greets with the actors. The m&g access is only available to those buying the most expensive package. As noted already, there are two q&a's open to everybody- one on Sat, and one on Sun. The actors are also present at the main event in the evenings, and one or two sometimes show up for some of the panels at IOA.

Thank you - this was very informative and helpful.

pixiedust:

For the talks with movie talent - are they are everyone or just package tix holders - I was confused by your post.
Thank you.
Yep, no need for a package at all unless you just have to go to that after party and have a private talent Q&A session. They have a film talent Q&A on each day open to the public right there on the stage in front of RRR. The private one was just more of the same held over in IOA. You will be able to go into the expo but the line will be much longer for you. With the package ticket you skip the line. It's not worth even going into IMO. Very small and very crowded and not much in there that is exciting.

Yep, no need for a package at all unless you just have to go to that after party and have a private talent Q&A session. They have a film talent Q&A on each day open to the public right there on the stage in front of RRR. The private one was just more of the same held over in IOA. You will be able to go into the expo but the line will be much longer for you. With the package ticket you skip the line. It's not worth even going into IMO. Very small and very crowded and not much in there that is exciting.

Thank you so much - this was extremely helpful and informative!!
:thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter