Advice needed: Book online or go through TA for Fall 2022?

TamaraH

Mouseketeer
So as a Silver I can book next Wednesday 06/23 for Fall 2022. Are there generally any delays (lagging website, etc.) on opening days? What are your thoughts - is it better to book yourself online or go through a TA?

The question I have for you is can you be online right when they open? They usually open 30 or so minutes before the posted time. On silver day, I basically just sat at my computer starting at 7:15 EST and kept hitting refresh until option to book became available, which I think was around 7:32. It was super easy and quick. Things definitely got a bit more hectic and glitchy right at 8am though.

The question I have for you is can you be online right when they open? They usually open 30 or so minutes before the posted time. On silver day, I basically just sat at my computer starting at 7:15 EST and kept hitting refresh until option to book became available, which I think was around 7:32. It was super easy and quick. Things definitely got a bit more hectic and glitchy right at 8am though.
Luckily I will be on vacation so I can set an alarm. I will be in CA so I would basically need to be up super early but I'll do it if that's what it takes. LOL

Luckily I will be on vacation so I can set an alarm. I will be in CA so I would basically need to be up super early but I'll do it if that's what it takes. LOL
Oof! I thought being one hour behind east coast was unpleasant--don't envy you the 4am CA wake-up call!

One more thing I did want to add. If you're trying to get a room category that does not have many rooms (e.g. concierge little mermaid rooms; the rooms with the largest bump-out balcony), I do think it would be worth doing it yourself so you can click lightning fast and nab what you want (assuming it is still available after Platinum and Gold have had their turn). If you are just wanting a "regular" room and not too picky about location, I think I'd go with a TA in your shoes. You can sleep in, and even if you are the 3rd or 4th person on the TA's list, there will still be something fine for you to get.

Oof! I thought being one hour behind east coast was unpleasant--don't envy you the 4am CA wake-up call!

One more thing I did want to add. If you're trying to get a room category that does not have many rooms (e.g. concierge little mermaid rooms; the rooms with the largest bump-out balcony), I do think it would be worth doing it yourself so you can click lightning fast and nab what you want (assuming it is still available after Platinum and Gold have had their turn). If you are just wanting a "regular" room and not too picky about location, I think I'd go with a TA in your shoes. You can sleep in, and even if you are the 3rd or 4th person on the TA's list, there will still be something fine for you to get.
Ahh thanks! Nah nothing special other than a verandah midship but that's about it. Kinda run of the mill.

My Dreams Unlimited agent ( agency that sponsors these boards) has been awesome this year during all the changes. She has saved me time because she is the one on hold making the changes, as needed, not me. And her services are not only free but they send a gift basket before the cruise and also offer on board credit ( free money) for being their client! Why get up at 4am on vacation if you don’t have to?

My Dreams Unlimited agent ( agency that sponsors these boards) has been awesome this year during all the changes. She has saved me time because she is the one on hold making the changes, as needed, not me. And her services are not only free but they send a gift basket before the cruise and also offer on board credit ( free money) for being their client! Why get up at 4am on vacation if you don’t have to?
I don’t have an agent yet so if you wouldn’t mind messaging me her contact info I’d appreciate a good referral. 👍🏻

I agree with Capitalangel, A good TA would be very helpful. I always give my agent the cabin or cabins that I want and she does the waiting on hold. As mentioned, the onboard credit that you get from the TA is great to cover the Palo brunch and the souvenirs that we always end up getting. If you would like my TA's info, let me know.
You will have a lot of fun.
:)

Are you typically able to tell them what rooms you are looking for? (like a list of 12 to pick from) or is it you get what you get on opening day? I have always done the horrible 4 am cali wake up call to book myself, then I have transferred to Costco for the perks (no penalty) but I think Dreams Unlimited cuts to OBC in half if you do that?

So as a Silver I can book next Wednesday 06/23 for Fall 2022. Are there generally any delays (lagging website, etc.) on opening days? What are your thoughts - is it better to book yourself online or go through a TA?
Booking online yourself is the fastest way to book as long as you have a working computer/Internet connection and will be up at opening (technically 8am ET, but it sometimes opens about 30 minutes early). No TA will be faster. They actually have to call DCL & wait to talk to an agent (and DCL's phone line is always slammed when new itineraries become available), and you're typically not the only cruiser they're booking for, either.

If you want to use Costco Travel as your TA, you can book online directly with DCL, then transfer the cruise to Costco within 30 days of booking, and still get the full 8.5% of your base cruise cost in the form of a Costco shop card. Most other TA's will cut your reward in half if you book yourself & then transfer to them. So if you're set on using a TA (& it isn't Costco), that cut in reimbursement is something to consider.

Last edited:
The reason you might want a TA to do it is either (A) for the TA's full OBC/perks or (B) if you need to call Disney (such as for a placeholder).

If it's neither, you can book online MUCH faster than doing it through a TA.

Are you typically able to tell them what rooms you are looking for? (like a list of 12 to pick from) or is it you get what you get on opening day? I have always done the horrible 4 am cali wake up call to book myself, then I have transferred to Costco for the perks (no penalty) but I think Dreams Unlimited cuts to OBC in half if you do that?
Yes. I go to https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/index.php and decide on which cabin(s) that I want - First choice - Cabin Xa, Second choice - Cabin Xb,Xc, etc. [you should have backup cabins in case your primary choice has been scooped up already]; I give the TA my choices and dining preference - early or late seatings. She takes care of it.
:)

I am just throwing this out there FWIW. I booked a Disney Cruise and had to cancel on the very last day it would be allowed due to a family emergency. It happened to be a Sunday and I had booked with a travel agent who had booked cruises for us in the past. I called Disney but they said she had to release it by midnight. Luckily I had her home phone number and I interrupted a family dinner. I felt really bad about it and ended up sending her a check for the amount of commission that she lost and for the trouble. So, from then on, I do all my bookings online so that I can be in control. FWIW.

I am just throwing this out there FWIW. I booked a Disney Cruise and had to cancel on the very last day it would be allowed due to a family emergency. It happened to be a Sunday and I had booked with a travel agent who had booked cruises for us in the past. I called Disney but they said she had to release it by midnight. Luckily I had her home phone number and I interrupted a family dinner. I felt really bad about it and ended up sending her a check for the amount of commission that she lost and for the trouble. So, from then on, I do all my bookings online so that I can be in control. FWIW.
Good point. For anything time sensitive, having to go through a travel agent is an impediment. I also feel bad making cancellations or lots of little changes when working with an individual agent, because I feel guilty about wasting their time.

And fyi you can maintain the same level of control by using Costco Travel as your agency. You can call them anytime during their operating hours and they'll serve you right then, just as if you were to call up Disney directly. No 24-business-hour wait for a specific person to get back to you.

Yes, but that's the catch "operating hours". Costco hours are PT and Disney's are ET. They mostly overlap but not exactly. I thought I could cancel ONLINE but maybe not? At any rate, easier to call Disney on a Sunday night than my travel agent!

Yes, but that's the catch "operating hours". Costco hours are PT and Disney's are ET. They mostly overlap but not exactly. I thought I could cancel ONLINE but maybe not? At any rate, easier to call Disney on a Sunday night than my travel agent!
You always have to call in to cancel a cruise, even if you booked directly with Disney.

I used DU when causing 2 years ago. I booked our activities myself as my agent wasn't quick about anything so I'm hesitant on using a TA again but the OBC is a nice perk but not sure of its worth the price of missing out on BBB reservations or meeting princesses for my granddaughter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter