Advice for Dining plan for a 10 year old

Princess_Tanya

Earning My Ears
my DS will be 10 years old next year when we go, but his appetite is not big, and he doesn't like most things that are on the adult menus (he wants hot dogs, pizza, chicken fingers, etc).
What do you suggest we do? I hate to pay for an adult dining plan for him when I know he will not eat what it is worth.
Thanks!
Tanya

One thing you can do is concentrate on buffets and family-style restaurants. He would pay the adult price at those, no matter what or how much he eats.

You can also pay out of pocket for a child's meal for him (only at a la carte and CS, not at buffets or family style) and use his credit for a meal for other adults or for him at a restaurant where it would be worthwhile for him to use it.

For CS, you can concentrate on places that serve the items he likes for adults. There are places in each park that will serve hot dogs, pizza or chicken nuggets in adult portions.

I'd probably just pay OOP and not do the DDP all together - it doesn't sound beneficial for you if he wants child offerings.

Unless you have free dining you may want to skip the DDP this time. If you decide the DDP is still the way to go I would suggest paying for his TS meal OOP then since you will have extra credits you can schedule more meals. In our case my DD4 doesn't eat "kids" food at all so we booked mostly character buffets both last year and this. Great use of her child credits since they would be no good for us later if we didn't use them.

I agree. If he is just going to order off the kids menu then the dining plan doesn't make sense ... unless its free, or potentially if you are going to do a lot of character meals. I'm guessing in the the latter case out of pocket will make the most sense for you.

The dining plan is break even or slight higher than out of pocket anyway, so paying for an adult plan for a 10 yo is probably a big negative from a cost standpoint.

my DS will be 10 years old next year when we go, but his appetite is not big, and he doesn't like most things that are on the adult menus (he wants hot dogs, pizza, chicken fingers, etc).
What do you suggest we do? I hate to pay for an adult dining plan for him when I know he will not eat what it is worth.
Thanks!
Tanya

As others have said. No Dining Plan.

Thanks!
Tanya

I'm in the same boat - first trip this October with a 10 year old. We've paid for DDP in the past and I've loved it (basically for the whole psychological "already paid for" feeling, not that I think I've saved a ton of money) - but there's a big difference in paying $15/a day for a 9 year old and the $55/day for a 10 year old who is basically eating the same thing as last year. He's not a big experimenter and will probably stick to the kids cheeseburgers anyway, so I think I am going to pass on the DDP this trip, pay OOP, and then keep an eye on when the teenage appetite hits, for future trips! It also helps that we are not aiming for alot of fixed price/ buffets this year - just the Norway princess breakfast, which I'm hoping my CM BIL will join us and use a discount cast coupon!

If I was paying for DDP I would probably skip it. I don't think the numbers will work out.

If you do get it I would do as PP have said and pay OOP for a kids meal and save credits for later (or a 2 TS). When my DD13 turned 10 during our trip in 2008 we were able to order her junior meals at several locations. Basically just a larger serving size of a kid's meal. I think we did this twice (Kona and 50's PTC), we paid OOP once (before we knew about Jr. meals) and she ordered adult meals (and loved it!) the rest of the time.

The kid's ravioli was about 4 raviolis and the jr. version was 12-13.

It's been reported that Jr. meals may, or may not, still be around. They aren't on the menu so just as your server.

This discussion has been invaluable to me, as I am in the exact same situation.

So no DDP for us- we will pay OOP.

Unless it is free (October next year)

Good to know of the potential junior meals DD turns 10 next trip and we have free DDP but I know she won't want adult meals all the time

No dining is a great plan

But, if it's free dining......

Buffets are great,

also, remember substitutions.
Example: Child doesn't like a fully loaded mushroom swiss burger on fancy bread with brussel sprouts on the side (just an ex.)
Instead: "Could we get that burger on white or wheat bread without the mushrooms and sauce, and oh, could we have American instead of Swiss? " Now that's just a cheeseburger. And about those pesky brussel sprouts, could we have corn with that instead? or green beans, or whaevver.

Have heard of 50's primetime substitution of:
Fried chicken, mashed potato with collard greens to the kid friendly
Fried chicken, fries and corn.

My son at the Captain Grill made a nice chicken patty sandwich for himself after taking stuff off and adding a different cheese.

As Figment would say "Use Your Imagination"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter