Advice for a Waitlist Newbie

disneylover81

DIS Veteran
I’m a new DVC owner and first time waitlister. Purchased VGF direct a few weeks ago and planning our first trip for mid-September. There are 7 of us going for 4 nights. Of course the only resort fully available is SSR, but not my first choice so thinking about a waitlist or two to try our luck. Been back and forth about where we would want to make one or where our best chances of getting one filled would be. Of course we need 2 BR, just looking for a standard view this trip since a 2 BR will require a lot of points. I will admit I am a website stalker and will check for availability a minimum of 5 times a day so I may not even have to have the waitlist, but it’s a good back up plan. We love MK area the best and I’m focusing on BLT 2 BR Standard view, since it has the third bathroom. After weeks of looking, I lucked up earlier today and found the first 2 nights of our stay available, 9/14 & 9/15. So I just did a waitlist for 9/16 & 9/17. I’m just wondering how likely we will be able to get these nights. Should I have made 2 waitlists requesting each night separately instead of requesting both nights in the same waitlist? From what I understand, there are not many of these rooms types from the start and we are 80 days from arrival. I wouldn’t mind staying at BWV or BCV either, but also not sure of our chances of being fulfilled there. We have never stayed at any of these resorts before. I’m not against CCV either. Should I still book SSR for our full time in case our waitlist never comes through? We definitely don’t want to end up with no availability when it’s our travel dates. What should I do here ?? I’m kinda lost as to what to do.

I would for sure waitlist just the 16th because that has an easier time to full and keep stalking.

Id probably then change the second waitlist you get to two nights somewhere else and course stalk.

I think it’s going to be a hard to get them, but as you can see, stalking can make a world of difference

No chance of a Welcome Home booking?
I actually called to see about the welcome home booking and they told me because I already had part of my trip booked, plus a trip booked for may that I didn’t qualify. It only qualifies if I don’t have a trip booked. I didn’t know if I should just cancel all my trips and call back and see if I could then qualify for it, but I didn’t wanna lose my May trip availability at VGF.

I would for sure waitlist just the 16th because that has an easier time to full and keep stalking.

Id probably then change the second waitlist you get to two nights somewhere else and course stalk.

I think it’s going to be a hard to get them, but as you can see, stalking can make a world of difference
Ok. Thanks for your input.

I was thinking it might be super hard to get, but then after weeks of stalking with no availability for 2 BR at BLT, when I saw those first 2 nights pop up earlier today it gave me a little hope that maybe I had a chance to get those next 2 nights.

I wouldn’t even mind doing a split stay just to try out another DVC resort, but I know my family would not be happy about that option with all the packing and unpacking that it requires. 😔

I actually called to see about the welcome home booking and they told me because I already had part of my trip booked, plus a trip booked for may that I didn’t qualify. It only qualifies if I don’t have a trip booked. I didn’t know if I should just cancel all my trips and call back and see if I could then qualify for it, but I didn’t wanna lose my May trip availability at VGF.
Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t want to take the chance of losing May either. I suspect they can see if you’ve made a previous booking and cancelled it.

I think single night waitlists have the best odds but two nights isn’t bad. Keep stalking. You do have a lot of time before the September trip and people do change their minds all the time.

Good luck.

This is true. The whole purpose is to help someone with booking the first trip and once you do, then they figure you understand it all.

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t want to take the chance of losing May either. I suspect they can see if you’ve made a previous booking and cancelled it.

I think single night waitlists have the best odds but two nights isn’t bad. Keep stalking. You do have a lot of time before the September trip and people do change their minds all the time.

Good luck.
Thank you! And you’re right cause I change my mind a lot !

It actually really sucks about the “welcome home” the same thing happened to us. We ended up booking something other then our home resort because I had NO IDEA they made “magic” for you if you waited and didn’t book asap. It really sucked. The person never mentioned it when we were buying. So we had no clue. As new members I just tried to book asap since I knew it would be hard to get something. So we snagged as soon as I saw anything that worked.

It actually really sucks about the “welcome home” the same thing happened to us. We ended up booking something other then our home resort because I had NO IDEA they made “magic” for you if you waited and didn’t book asap. It really sucked. The person never mentioned it when we were buying. So we had no clue. As new members I just tried to book asap since I knew it would be hard to get something. So we snagged as soon as I saw anything that worked.
Right ! It does suck that they do it that way especially since we bought DVC with only 3 months time before our first trip so knowing we were on a time crunch and way past the 7 month mark, I booked as soon as I could in fear of nothing being available for our dates. They really oughta be more flexible when they can clearly see you’ve never actually completed your first trip.

This is true. The whole purpose is to help someone with booking the first trip and once you do, then they figure you understand it all.
I think your mileage will vary with the CM. I had two trips booked and then became a DVC member and I had them convert a cash stay to a DVC stay for a fully booked time at the Boardwalk for my welcome home trip. I just dont think there are hard and fast rules. I think it is luck of the draw.

I think your mileage will vary with the CM. I had two trips booked and then became a DVC member and I had them convert a cash stay to a DVC stay for a fully booked time at the Boardwalk for my welcome home trip. I just dont think there are hard and fast rules. I think it is luck of the draw.

But your trips were not DVC trips...that is different. I am talking about a new DVC member who then goes ahead and books their first DVC trip. The purpose is to aid a DVC owner with understanding the booking process and once someone books a DVC trip on their own, MS won't help to get a welcome home trip booked. Now, that is not to say there has never been an incident, but 99% of the time, reports are they are told that it applies only toward the first DVC trip booked on your new membership.

I'm new to this; what is a DVC Welcome Home booking?

When you buy direct from DVC, as a brand new owner, they will help you get your first trip with DVC booked. It is to help for those buying after the 11 month window, especially if less than 7 months, and want to travel. They will try and get you a room they have using their own inventory.

If you buy resale, or already a member and add on, this does not apply.

But your trips were not DVC trips...that is different. I am talking about a new DVC member who then goes ahead and books their first DVC trip. The purpose is to aid a DVC owner with understanding the booking process and once someone books a DVC trip on their own, MS won't help to get a welcome home trip booked. Now, that is not to say there has never been an incident, but 99% of the time, reports are they are told that it applies only toward the first DVC trip booked on your new membership.
I see, got it. Great info. However, I will note that it seems that much is up to the cast member and how they are feeling that day. :)

When purchasing direct (new member), I was told by both my guide and the member orientation CM not to book anything myself and to call MS for my first booking. Otherwise, I would void the potential pixie dust of them assisting with a Welcome Home booking.

I am assuming you are ok with a split stay, moving.

Split the reservation into two 2 day reservations and waitlist something that can actually fill, that would be AKL Kidani or BLT Lake View. CCV (and BW/BC) is a waste of time, there's no inventory. BW in particular because it's a lockoff and you need the studio and 1BR to clear at the same time.

Then STALK. You are ready to swap two nights for what shows up. And things do show up. Especially at the 30ish mark. People don't want the points to go into holding. You might be able to pull off two nights somewhere, and then you will be glad you split the reservation.

Edit: You're already in BLT two nights? Then waitlst for the other two nights.

When purchasing direct (new member), I was told by both my guide and the member orientation CM not to book anything myself and to call MS for my first booking. Otherwise, I would void the potential pixie dust of them assisting with a Welcome Home booking.
I wish they had told me that because I sure would have let them help me. As of now, I have a BLT/CCV split stay booked while I’m still on the waitlist for BLT room to hopefully open up.

I am assuming you are ok with a split stay, moving.

Split the reservation into two 2 day reservations and waitlist something that can actually fill, that would be AKL Kidani or BLT Lake View. CCV (and BW/BC) is a waste of time, there's no inventory. BW in particular because it's a lockoff and you need the studio and 1BR to clear at the same time.

Then STALK. You are ready to swap two nights for what shows up. And things do show up. Especially at the 30ish mark. People don't want the points to go into holding. You might be able to pull off two nights somewhere, and then you will be glad you split the reservation.

Edit: You're already in BLT two nights? Then waitlst for the other two nights.
I am not thrilled about a split stay, but we can do it if we have to.

Right now I have 2 nights at BLT and 2 nights at CCV.

I have been stalking more than I like to admit. That’s how I snagged both of those. I started off at SSR and have slowly switched to these.

I have 2 waitlists at BLT, one for each night, just in case they happen to come up separately.

Just updating - 37 days to go until check-in . . . still stalking endlessly for a BLT 2 SV BRV to come up for me to avoid the split stay. I actually could have swapped the BLT portion to CCV last week because it did miraculously become available, but I didn't want to give up BLT (for that extra bathroom). I have also seen BLT Lake View pop up several times for my whole trip, as well as the 2 days I am looking for, but I don't want to spend the extra points. I am sure it's a needle in a haystack chance of someone dropping what I am looking for, but for now the stalking continues . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter