Advice - Cruise vs ABD, younger traveller

ywgckp

Mouseketeer
Hi all

I have finally convinced my DW to take our DS (5) to Europe next summer. He'll be 6 at the time we go, and he's an experienced flyer, but has never left Canada or the US.

We are booked now in the 10 day Disney med cruise in 2018, but in reading about ABD, I'm wondering about going with the 5 day shorter med cruise and adding in an Italy or France ABD trip.

I'm a fairly experienced traveller, having been to Europe a dozen times or so, but usually either solo for work, or with my wife when we were younger. I don't think we want to travel independently as a family. We're lucky enough that cost isn't the primary consideration for us - having the best and smoothest possible 2 week European trip is more important.

Specific questions:

1) I think probably you would see more Europe with the ABD trip than a similar length cruise. Fair statement? We've cruised a few times and so spending time on the ship will be a lower priority for us.

2) My son will be 6. That's at the lower end of the recommended age by ABD. Will he be a lot younger than the other kids on the tour? Too young for an ABD trip?

Thanks. Advice from more experienced ABD'ers appreciated!

Kris

Specific questions:

1) I think probably you would see more Europe with the ABD trip than a similar length cruise. Fair statement? We've cruised a few times and so spending time on the ship will be a lower priority for us.
Absolutely a fair statement. It's my least favorite thing about cruising, is having to leave places at 4:30pm to get back to the ship, and not being able to spend as much time there, eat in local eateries for dinner, see these places at night. You'll do all that on an ABD.

2) My son will be 6. That's at the lower end of the recommended age by ABD. Will he be a lot younger than the other kids on the tour? Too young for an ABD trip?
That really depends on the departure. What you could do is call ABD, and find out what the ages are of the folks who have already signed up for a trip.

A lot also depends on how well your son travels. I did a 12-night DCL Med cruise with an ABD add-on in 2010, and we had a 4-year-old on that. She was a seasoned traveler, and a real trooper, but they left her on the ship with an Aunt during the Rome and Florence days because they were SUCH long days. However, I know there's a huge difference between 4 and 6.

Sayhello

I agree with Sayhello that the evenings will be the biggest difference. Depending on your perspective, having the evening down time on the cruise could be a plus or minus. You'll definitely see less of the country on a cruise, but will be able to have a meal with your son and send him onto the kids' club to play while you and your wife enjoy the rest of your dinner. On an ABD you will need to provide more supervision for him during the evening meals/group activities. I took my DD on the med cruise when she was six, did the Utah/Arizona ABD when she was eight, and will be doing the Rhine river cruise next year when she will be 11.

We've traveled on many iteneraries with kiddos 6-7 years old! They do really well from what we've experienced...parents have always been involved and engaged on these trips so the kids are too. We've also found that the older teens tend to look out for the "littles" on the trips which is sweet. The youngest one we've had in a group was 4yo and it was hard on him. He did get sick half way through the trip so I think it just all added up in his little body....it was our Viva Italia trip and it was a busy busy trip. But, as a former first grade teacher, I would encourage you to take your 6yo if you think they are ready for a big trip! What fun!

My kids are now 12, 7, and 4. We've done several DCL European cruises as a family, and I've taken my 12yo for the past several years on a Summer ABD.

1) A cruise is obviously a mix of cruise time and port time. It works really well IMO for young children. They get to tour around a European port all day and come back on board to high five Pluto, get a cheeseburger, and play in the kids clubs to refresh. Parents (and kids) also get more of a break on a cruise. The kids can go to the Club while you can do Palo, the spa, or grab a drink. So, cruises are a bit more low key and relaxing. But ABD's can give a fuller, more immersive experience in a culture.

2) Generally my son has been the youngest or next to the youngest guest at ages 7-10. So 6 is young, but not necessarily too young. I'd say go for it if you think he's a pretty good traveler. On ABD's website under the Trip at a Glance tab, they list their minimum and recommended ages.

For very young children, I think a European DCL cruise is best. For older children over 9, I think ABD is best. There's a grey area in the middle ~5-8yo when it probably depends on the individual child.

If it's of any help, I'm also looking at next year and trying to decide if my (at that time) 5yo will be "old enough".

Perhaps an ABD river cruise would be a good compromise. You'll sleep in the same bed every night, which would be easier on a young child, but I think it would be more of an immersive experience than a DCL cruise. I haven't experienced the river cruise yet (though it's on the list), so perhaps someone who has can weigh in.

I think I'd recommend a cruise (either ocean or river) because I know I like (and DD does too) the comfort of having a "home base." They can unpack, put their stuffy on the bed and know that it's home for x number of nights. Of course that can be done on land based ABDs as well, but between the food shall we say compromises (yes some taste of the local cuisine when out on an ocean or themed night on the river but availability of "regular" food too) and place to sleep some routine while doing exciting but sometimes long days might strike a happy balance. Also, as someone who has called multiple managers of hotels due to lost "Snuggy" the fewer opportunities to lose a lovey the better in my book :)

Perhaps an ABD river cruise would be a good compromise. You'll sleep in the same bed every night, which would be easier on a young child, but I think it would be more of an immersive experience than a DCL cruise. I haven't experienced the river cruise yet (though it's on the list), so perhaps someone who has can weigh in.
The pace of the river cruises is pretty heavy....we found the Danube cruise had the least amount of down time than any of our 10 ABDs! Granted, you could skip some activities if you needed to rest, but we found we were busier than ever. BUT...there is something nice about keeping the same room the whole trip. But...you miss out on those hours-long coach rides or flights to catch up on napping if your kiddlet is tired so I think it all pans out in the end. We're taking our first DCL cruise with an ABD experience so I can't compare that to the Danube unfortunately.

Hi

We have done several ABDs, a couple of nonABD family tours and also several cruises in Europe (not DCL)

I think so. I guess it depends on the cruise itinerary in terms of ports and sea days - we did one 7 day Med cruise with no sea days.....
The last 3 years we have combined a land trip in Europe (2 ABD, once Tauck bridges) with a cruise. We liked the mixture. I would suggest cruise second so you have down time if you are burned out.

The age of kids on trips can really vary, although 6 will be the young end. My daughter was 5 on our first ABD, and was always the youngest (5,6, 7, 8, 10) until last year when she was 11......
I would think about the activities and your kids interests in choosing your ABD.

Have fun!
Michele

Thank you all for the thoughtful advice!!

I'm not really sure I'm further ahead to making a decision! On one hand, the pace of the cruise is appealing (having the kids club available, dinners every night my picky eater son will eat, same room available). But on the other hand, we've done a few cruises now and the purpose of the trip isn't really to spend time on the ship, but to introduce our son to Europe, and the ABD might be a better fit for that.

I guess the bottom line is that both are likely to be great vacations, and we're lucky enough that this isn't a "once in a lifetime trip", so we'll pick one for next summer (flip a coin?) and save the other option for 2019 or 2020...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter