Advice and opinions are welcome....

amccu18007

DIS Veteran
Okay, I have over thought about this for far to long and want to make some decisions so please help me out! We have a trip that we will be making next June (2018). I will have used all of my points for our October trip so I have to figure out what route to take to go for the June trip. Part of the June trip, my daughters dance team is staying at the Swan/ Dolphin. I am looking to add on days prior to and just after these days. Are these my only options?
- Rent points from a dvc rental place and have them try to make a reservation. Downside to this is I wont have control over the reservation, correct? Upside is I will most likely have a great rate on the room.
- Make reservations through Disney. Pricey option but will get what I want where I want. I will also be able to add any currently available room only discount.
- Try to wait to see if an annual pass holder rate will be available. Is there always something available?

Can anyone think of any other option available? I am a dvc owner and will be an annual pass holder at this point too. Thank you so much!

Okay, I have over thought about this for far to long and want to make some decisions so please help me out! We have a trip that we will be making next June (2018). I will have used all of my points for our October trip so I have to figure out what route to take to go for the June trip. Part of the June trip, my daughters dance team is staying at the Swan/ Dolphin. I am looking to add on days prior to and just after these days. Are these my only options?
- Rent points from a dvc rental place and have them try to make a reservation. Downside to this is I wont have control over the reservation, correct? Upside is I will most likely have a great rate on the room.
- Make reservations through Disney. Pricey option but will get what I want where I want. I will also be able to add any currently available room only discount.
- Try to wait to see if an annual pass holder rate will be available. Is there always something available?

Can anyone think of any other option available? I am a dvc owner and will be an annual pass holder at this point too. Thank you so much!
Often the Swan/Dolphin is the best deal and if you can get a special rate, staying there the entire time might be the best. You can always book and change if a special rate comes out. You could book off site. You could rent privately. Book on points or cash through DVC (?25% discount) since you're an owner.

Often the Swan/Dolphin is the best deal and if you can get a special rate, staying there the entire time might be the best. You can always book and change if a special rate comes out. You could book off site. You could rent privately. Book on points or cash through DVC (?25% discount) since you're an owner.
The group rate at the swan includes tickets so for us it is not worth it. When you say rent privately, does that mean from another owner? Sorry, this is all new to me as we just bought into DVC last year. Also, how would I go about booking through DVC with a cash deal? I was't even aware that this was an option but I love the sound of it...lol.

The DVC cash rates are 25% off of rack rate and often there are better discounts.

For the Swan/Dolphin you might check and see as it's possible that the tickets can be saved for a later trip (I'm guessing you have AP's or something that you don't need the tickets now?)

Do you have points in your next UY? You could always borrow if you do. That also keeps the reservation in your control and no other outside costs that you aren't already committed to.

The DVC cash rates are 25% off of rack rate and often there are better discounts.

For the Swan/Dolphin you might check and see as it's possible that the tickets can be saved for a later trip (I'm guessing you have AP's or something that you don't need the tickets now?)

Do you have points in your next UY? You could always borrow if you do. That also keeps the reservation in your control and no other outside costs that you aren't already committed to.

Thanks for the reply :)
Unfortunately, the tickets included in the swan/dolphin deal have to be used within a 2 week window or I would have saved them. I have never heard of this before but I called to check today and that is what the tour leader advised me again today. I called dvc to ask about the cash reservations. She said to call back at the 11 month window which would be July to see what was available and the cost. I wonder what the availability is for these rooms. I would love to have control over the reservation but we plan on taking family again in October of 2018, so our points will be used for that so I think that borrowing would be out of the question. I am open to all other ways to get to Disney though so thank you for all of your ideas :) Since this will be my third trip of the year, I am trying to be as frugal as possible. My husband has been such a sport about all of our travel but even he has limits...lol.

Thanks for the reply :)
Unfortunately, the tickets included in the swan/dolphin deal have to be used within a 2 week window or I would have saved them. I have never heard of this before but I called to check today and that is what the tour leader advised me again today. I called dvc to ask about the cash reservations. She said to call back at the 11 month window which would be July to see what was available and the cost. I wonder what the availability is for these rooms. I would love to have control over the reservation but we plan on taking family again in October of 2018, so our points will be used for that so I think that borrowing would be out of the question. I am open to all other ways to get to Disney though so thank you for all of your ideas :) Since this will be my third trip of the year, I am trying to be as frugal as possible. My husband has been such a sport about all of our travel but even he has limits...lol.

You also can book separately at Swan/Dolphin - no need to use the group rate. It is usually a better deal than any Deluxe Disney resort and has the great location by Epcot.

Otherwise if you don't want to rent a reservation you could also look at a point transfer from someone so you'd control the reservation. Or just book a cash room and if a discount comes out later you can rebook somewhere with that (there sometimes is limited availability so it might not be the same resort as the first one you book.

You also can book separately at Swan/Dolphin - no need to use the group rate. It is usually a better deal than any Deluxe Disney resort and has the great location by Epcot.

Otherwise if you don't want to rent a reservation you could also look at a point transfer from someone so you'd control the reservation. Or just book a cash room and if a discount comes out later you can rebook somewhere with that (there sometimes is limited availability so it might not be the same resort as the first one you book.
If my friend transfers me points, would my window be from her points resort or my points resort?

If my friend transfers me points, would my window be from her points resort or my points resort?

Points keep their UY and home resort so it would follow that. If the UY were different than yours you'd want to make certain that the points were eligible for the stay you wanted to make next June. Only points that have not been banked or borrowed can be transferred but points can be banked by the receiver after getting them so for example if your friend had an Oct UY and still had 2016 points they could transfer them to you and you could bank them into the Oct 2017 UY which would make the points eligible for stays from Oct 1, 2017 thru Sept 30, 2018.

Points keep their UY and home resort so it would follow that. If the UY were different than yours you'd want to make certain that the points were eligible for the stay you wanted to make next June. Only points that have not been banked or borrowed can be transferred but points can be banked by the receiver after getting them so for example if your friend had an Oct UY and still had 2016 points they could transfer them to you and you could bank them into the Oct 2017 UY which would make the points eligible for stays from Oct 1, 2017 thru Sept 30, 2018.
Okay, I will have to look into what she has. As I said, I am new to this so I will double check the Uy on what she has. Thank you again for your responses. They are helpful :)

A couple of things to keep in mind when booking at the Swan and Dolphin:
1. Make sure to factor in their daily resort fee when comparing prices. I think it's like $25 a day (plus tax). That can add up in a hurry.
2. If you are hoping to utilize MDE from the airport, you can't use this if you are staying at the Swan and Dolphin. So, you would need to factor in the cost of transportation to and from the airport.

If you have an AP, I would recommend looking at booking a room with Disney now and then keep an eye out for AP discounts and re-book if that rate is better.

Good luck!

1. Make sure to factor in their daily resort fee when comparing prices. I think it's like $25 a day (plus tax). That can add up in a hurry.
2. If you are hoping to utilize MDE from the airport, you can't use this if you are staying at the Swan and Dolphin. So, you would need to factor in the cost of transportation to and from the airport.

If you have an AP, I would recommend looking at booking a room with Disney now and then keep an eye out for AP discounts and re-book if that rate is better.

Good luck!
yes, that resort fee def adds up! I am leaning towards renting points from someone at the 11 month mark so that I can just be down with this. I am making myself tired with all of the second guessing and recalculations ....lol. Thank you so much for your input!

I am sure you can find someone on these boards that would transfer points to you. Then you have complete control over how they are used and you avoid some of the Swalphin issues raised previously.

Good luck!

Oh yes, the "dreaded resort fee".

Random weekend in August. Expedia rates, not special discounts

Swan $249
Beach Club Hotel Room $330
Saratoga Springs Studio $322

Takes a lot of resort fees to equal Disney hotel rates.

I agree that your best options are AP rates at something at Disney if you want DME. (I am not a fan of renting points so... I wouldn't go that route, but if you find someone you trust I am sure it's fine)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter