Advent calendar

I always thought that they were the days of the month. All of the advent calendars that we have had, had the "best" and the biggest prize in the 25th slot for Christmas. I can't imagine you get the best prize on day 1 instead of Christmas.

We always started with 1. I had a great handmade advent calander growing up. My mom gave it to me and my inlaws through it out with all the Christmas decorations we were storing in their shed. I guess they thought it was Big Grandpas mom's. She had passed the year before and they were cleaning things out. I was SO MAD.

Hmmm, I’m doing my first one (actually 2) ever, the Aldi wine and cheese. I started at one but now I wonder if that was right.

Last edited:
We have 2 perpetual ones. One starts at 1, the other at 25. Gets me confused every year, lol!

The one's I've had have always been a countdown to Christmas, so you start at the highest number. There's never been any difference in the types of items/candies.

I always thought it was a calendar of the days in December, so I always start with 1 and go to 25.

See, that's just it. Most commercially available chocolate "advent" calendars aren't actually advent calendars. And they don't count down, they count up. That's why some of the candy calendars have a bigger chocolate in "25".

What?! This is the first time I have ever heard of starting at 25. Here, you get the big chocolate, present, scene of the baby Jesus in 25 December. He can’t be born on the 1st and then disappear.😱😉

This is why I would actually give two different answers.

For the chocolate ones, you go by the day-- today's the 4th so you would open box number 4.

We have a felt calendar and on that one I always start at 24 and go backwards to 1 so it's a countdown of how many days are left until Christmas. We had a similar calendar in my home when I was growing up and that's how we used that one too.

My children are divided on how it's used so throughout the month the little star gets moved all over the place because we're constantly sneaking back and forth on whether it should be counting down or corresponding to the date.

See, that's just it. Most commercially available chocolate "advent" calendars aren't actually advent calendars. And they don't count down, they count up. That's why some of the candy calendars have a bigger chocolate in "25".

Good point - 'Advent' itself is not 25 days long, so technically, most 'advent' calendars are really just Christmas countdowns. So I suppose in that regard, they can be done either way (starting with 1 or 25).

We got the cars one at aldi, 24 was the piston cup , 23 was Jackson storm , 22 boring black flag, 21 track parts (3) so im guessing it doesnt matter i guess the piston cup shold be the end.. kids did not care

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter