Advent Calendar 2019

Last year I bought Bonne Maman advent calendars for DMIL and DSIL, and found myself incredibly jealous. So I got one for myself this year!

I've pre-ordered a Harry Potter one through Merchoid for DDIL.

There are some great bourbon ones I'd love to get, but most of the British companies won't ship to our state. Found one, but was unwilling to pay $175+ USD for something fun and silly.

I got an email about the Bonne Maman one a little while ago, but it was sold out already. :( The other one that always looked interesting to me, but I never wanted to pay for was the David's Tea one. I didn't even check this year.

I have used the same advent calendar for easily 25 years or more. It's a homemade cloth one with pockets for each of the 24 days. The pockets are small; just large enough to do various things as chocolate kisses; miniature candy bars, folded money, etc. We always had so much fun filling them even though I do remember the dilemma of 3 boys with 24 pockets. I'm sure they have they own renditions of how the Advent calendar went......:rotfl:

I got an email about the Bonne Maman one a little while ago, but it was sold out already. :( The other one that always looked interesting to me, but I never wanted to pay for was the David's Tea one. I didn't even check this year.

I forgot about the David's tea one, I got that one last year too.
I enjoyed it but found I just kept going back to me favorite tea, but my dd really liked having all the different ones.

I bought the Diamine Inkvent calendar (25 days of fountain pen inks) for myself. Last year I had the Bonne Maman jelly one, but it was just too much jelly for me. :) I had the L'Occitane one a couple of years ago and it was very nice!

This will be our third year of doing Advent calendars! The first year, we did the Target sock ones. Last year, I splurged because everyone (especially the kids away at college) loved them the year before and did the Costco Brewer's Advent for DH, DD's boyfriend, and my brother and his wife, The Body Shop for DD and DS's girlfriend, Star Wars Lego for my nephew, Bonne Maman for my parents, and a knitting one for myself. I wrapped them all in elf paper and set them out Thanksgiving morning with our Elf on the Shelf with a letter announcing his arrival and the beginning of the holiday season. It was so much fun! This year, I've already picked up the Costco Brewer's for DS and DD's boyfriend, and another knitting one for myself. Will probably end up with The Body Shop again for the girls. I found a gin and tonic one for DH, but it comes from the UK. Why are all the good ones only in the UK????

This will be our third year of doing Advent calendars! The first year, we did the Target sock ones. Last year, I splurged because everyone (especially the kids away at college) loved them the year before and did the Costco Brewer's Advent for DH, DD's boyfriend, and my brother and his wife, The Body Shop for DD and DS's girlfriend, Star Wars Lego for my nephew, Bonne Maman for my parents, and a knitting one for myself. I wrapped them all in elf paper and set them out Thanksgiving morning with our Elf on the Shelf with a letter announcing his arrival and the beginning of the holiday season. It was so much fun! This year, I've already picked up the Costco Brewer's for DS and DD's boyfriend, and another knitting one for myself. Will probably end up with The Body Shop again for the girls. I found a gin and tonic one for DH, but it comes from the UK. Why are all the good ones only in the UK????

Hi! Knitting advent calendar?!?!?!?! Please tell me more!!!

Hi! Knitting advent calendar?!?!?!?! Please tell me more!!!

There are many of them on Etsy and other small dyers websites. Ravelry has lots of Advent patterns, but the most popular one is from the designer Ambah. Every day you get a mini skein of yarn from your calendar, and you follow your pattern each day, and at the end you have a wrap/scarf. I really enjoyed it last year and can’t wait for this year!

There are many of them on Etsy and other small dyers websites. Ravelry has lots of Advent patterns, but the most popular one is from the designer Ambah. Every day you get a mini skein of yarn from your calendar, and you follow your pattern each day, and at the end you have a wrap/scarf. I really enjoyed it last year and can’t wait for this year!

With how far behind I am on my Christmas knitting there's no way I'd have time to actually do this before Christmas but I'm definitely going to look into getting myself one for the new year.

I tried to find the Costco beer advent calendar for my DS last year, but they weren't sold in my area, so I made one each for DS, his GF and my niece's husband. The nephew-in-law ended up at AA before he started drinking it, so DS and his GF ended up with 72 beers. They said it lasted a looooong time. This year I saw the Costco one and am sending my DD to pick one up. They will share it.

For DD we did a lottery ticket advent calendar. I wrapped a foam wreath with holiday fabric and stuffed lottery tickets in 24 empty toilet paper cylinders. They were then each wrapped in wrapping paper and tied on the ends like a popper and corsage pinned onto the wreath. She really enjoyed opening one a day.

I guess it is time to start thinking about something for her for this year and for my 2 great nephews. We normally do the Lego Star Wars for the oldest, and Playmobil for the youngest.

I have done the jelly one or my DH for the last two years, but he said there were too many odd flavored ones last year (with some still in the pantry), so I will have to come up with something different this year.

I've been trying to figure out which Advent calendar I'd like for myself! In the previous years I went with makeup (L'Occitane or Lookfantastic) and last year I did two sock calendars. My husband always wants his trust candle calendar. So I've still been hunting for one for myself while I wait for his to go on sale.

Holy cow these are extreme. No wonder people get stressed and burned out by the time Christmas finally rolls around.

Both my kids are out of the house.
I will give them advent calendars at Thanksgiving.
Each day they get a little reminder of my love and a countdown until they come home for Christmas.
I like the Target socks ones, the Godiva chocolate one and a previous years star wars Lego one with a Santa Darth Vader!

For DD we did a lottery ticket advent calendar. I wrapped a foam wreath with holiday fabric and stuffed lottery tickets in 24 empty toilet paper cylinders. They were then each wrapped in wrapping paper and tied on the ends like a popper and corsage pinned onto the wreath. She really enjoyed opening one a day.

Cute idea!

We have a Lego City advent calendar that we use year after year. I guess it's a tradition at this point! I am SO doing the lottery ticket wreath one. Thank you for the great idea @disneyeveryyear! I should pick up the Costco beer one too, but it's so heavy I'm not sure I'd make it out of the store! And you beat me to it @wgeo with the Tiffany advent calendar. I just received the Tiffany catalog in the mail this week and we were all ohh-ing and ahh-ing over their 12 Days of Christmas gifts, of which the advent calendar is one. But we decided we'll go with either the Tiffany Blue Indian motorcycle or the pool table!

I'm going to see all three "kids" (plus two spouses) for Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about doing the lottery one (though I won't have enough TP tubes, so I'll need to adapt. I'm thinking that one per couple is ok for the married ones. But then I also wonder if they'd rather just receive money instead of spending it on tickets and have them perhaps get nothing. Hmmm...maybe a mix of tickets and cash?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter