Advance Booking Questions about Rate, Toddlers, etc.

Ducky'sMom

Mom to a smol bean and a spicy potato <3
Hello all,

I'll keep this brief. This is for Sept 2022, through an agent, 3 adults, 13yo, and 1 yo who will turn 2 during trip:

1. Is there any advantage to booking a package at rack rate before discounts are announced? (If I understand correctly, the agent will have to essentially rebook our trip to apply discounts, right? Especially if we'd get a better deal at a different resort or need to adjust dates to fall in the discount range.)

2. Our youngest is currently 8 months old. I have no idea if he'll need a crib/pack n play or could sleep in a 5th sleeper by the time of our trip. Would booking a room with a 5th sleeper/bed for him just in case be fine or should I wait to book closer to trip time? Having him in a pack n play or crib would open up more options, but I'm not sure if he'd be too big for them. (He's already 28.5 inches and 22 pounds!) I love Caribbean Beach for a 5th sleeper room.

3. I don't want to necessarily cook on vacation, but I wonder if having a kitchen/kitchenette room for washing sippy cups and water bottles might be good? Would probably bring some fruit or snacks for late night and morning, too. Old Key West keeps catching my eye. I love the 1 bedroom.

4. And lastly on the DVC note, do 1 bedrooms ever get discounts, or is it usually better to rent points instead of trying to get a package through Disney?

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel I can't make any further decisions!

1. The only real advantage is to secure the exact resort and room type you want. If a discount is announced, they can attempt to apply it/rebook you, but that room type/resort has to be available under the discount (and rooms allotted) to be able to take advantage of it.
2. For a child that young, I would look at alternatives like toddler travel beds. A two year old probably won't want to sleep in the pack and play, but will be too small for the pulldown beds. We have a 2.5 year old we're taking in a few weeks and we bought a blowup toddler travel bed. It's the same size as her toddler bed so she should be pretty comfortable on it.
3. Kitchens are very nice and useful. We are DVC owners with kids and I tell you, once you go 1 bedroom you won't ever want to stay at anything less. In addition to the kitchens, you also get a washer and dryer in the room which is AMAZING for little ones.
4. They certainly do get discounts, especially at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but you'll probably do better renting points. It really just depends on the time of year you're going and what level of percentage Disney is doing.

1. The only real advantage is to secure the exact resort and room type you want. If a discount is announced, they can attempt to apply it/rebook you, but that room type/resort has to be available under the discount (and rooms allotted) to be able to take advantage of it.
2. For a child that young, I would look at alternatives like toddler travel beds. A two year old probably won't want to sleep in the pack and play, but will be too small for the pulldown beds. We have a 2.5 year old we're taking in a few weeks and we bought a blowup toddler travel bed. It's the same size as her toddler bed so she should be pretty comfortable on it.
3. Kitchens are very nice and useful. We are DVC owners with kids and I tell you, once you go 1 bedroom you won't ever want to stay at anything less. In addition to the kitchens, you also get a washer and dryer in the room which is AMAZING for little ones.
4. They certainly do get discounts, especially at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but you'll probably do better renting points. It really just depends on the time of year you're going and what level of percentage Disney is doing.
I didn't know about the toddler travel beds! (We never traveled with our first.) Honestly I'd love to own DVC in a few more years! (Probably at OKW)

YES on the blow up toddler beds; I have 2, one by Ozark from Walmart & even nicer one from Amazon (brand name escapes me; is teal/white if you look it up). Both are GREAT. My 4 year old slept in one; my 15 month old slept in the P & P. When we go back next May, I anticipate each will be in their own. Do practice runs at home before your trip so they’re ready / comfy with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter