adult with CP & party of 10

Denise516538

Earning My Ears
My adult brother has CP, confined to a wheelchair. 9 adult family members are taking him to WDW in October.

Question 1: Should we bother with the DAS card? I've used it before with my daughter with ASD, but frankly have found FP+ to meet most of our needs.

Question 2: I'm trying to get a list of which rides we can queue up together and board together vs. which rides we will have to separate the group since only 5 other people can go with my brother through the wheelchair entrance. Here are some of the rides we're planning on:

Soarin' (going to go first thing in the AM)
Toy Story Mania (using FP+)
Star Tours (probably using FP+)
Jungle Cruise (probably using FP+)
Dumbo (using FP+)
Winnie the Pooh (using FP+)
Small World
Buzz Lightyear (using FP+)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mickey's Philharmagic
Little Mermaid

Thanks for any input!

1 What is your brothers needs in line, This will help with if he needs a DAS or not.

small world I think there is a wheel chair line and if he needs to stay in his chair then I think only 5 or so people can be in the boat with him, so you all will not be able to go together any ways,

POTCB he will need to transfer into a Disney wheel chair not sure if stand by is wheel chair assessable
Micky phillhermagic stand by is assessable you might have to split up to see the show and only one person sit with your brother.

but if you all have FP should be no problem as long as there is enough room for you all.

My adult brother has CP, confined to a wheelchair. 9 adult family members are taking him to WDW in October.

Question 1: Should we bother with the DAS card? I've used it before with my daughter with ASD, but frankly have found FP+ to meet most of our needs.
he does not need DAS to bring a wheelchair into lines, so unless he has other needs/ issues related to waiting in lines, he would not need it.
The usual number for DAS is up to 6 (5 plus the person with the disability). DAS can be issued for a larger number, but it is an exception that may or may not be granted.
This thread has current info about DAS. Only the first post is up to date - the rest is from just before and just after DAS came into use.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Question 2: I'm trying to get a list of which rides we can queue up together and board together vs. which rides we will have to separate the group since only 5 other people can go with my brother through the wheelchair entrance. Here are some of the rides we're planning on:
Many of the attractions you want to go on are totally mainstream lines where everyone waits together. Some are partly mainstream, where you will all wait together until very close to boarding. Unless I write something else, both Fastpass and Standby lol ne are the same.

Soarin' (going to go first thing in the AM) - totally mainstream. He will need to transfer, but the wheelchair can be parked wherever you need to compared to the seat. Fairly easy transfer.

Toy Story Mania (using FP+) - partially mainstream. You can wait together to the point of the Fastpass and Standby line merge. At that point, there are stairs thru the regular line and guests using mobility devices go up a ramp to an accessible boarding area. If he needs to remain in his wheelchair, no more than 5 can go with him because that is the number the wheelchair car will hold. One will sit with him. The other 4 will be in the next car in the pod.

Star Tours (probably using FP+) - whether you are using Fastpass or not, he will be directed up a ramp to the left. I don't know for sure how many they would allow with because we've never had more than 5. I would guess it may be your entire group if you have Fastpass because the ride vehicle has many seats. Need to transfer to a theater seat. Wheelchair can be placed wherever you need it to the front of the seat.

Jungle Cruise (probably using FP+) - there is a separate accessible line. It's usually very full, so they might say only 5 with him. There is a wheelchair boat.
If he has Fastpass, they will have him and whoever is going with him scan Magicbands then direct you right to the accessible boarding area. Without Fastpass, he will be given a time to return that will be approximately equal to the Standby wait.

Dumbo (using FP+) - totally mainstream. Must transfer. You can place the wheelchair wherever you need it. The seat is a sideways transfer and is about the height of a wheelchair seat.

Winnie the Pooh (using FP+) - mainstream to the point of boarding, there is a wheelchair honey pot and one person can ride with him. Because the waiting area is very small, no more than 5 besides him.

Small World - if he is using Fastpass, he will be directed with no more than 5 people to the accessible boarding area. If he doesn't have Fastpass, he may be directed to wait in the regular line until the last turn before going down to the regular boarding area. Sometimes they do that and sometimes they give a time ticket to return to the accessible line. There is a wheelchair boat which has one wheelchair spot and 6 seats.

Buzz Lightyear (using FP+) - mainstream to the point of boarding. At the boarding area, guests with mobility devices are routed straight ahead down a hall to the unload area instead of getting right on. The area is small and no more then 5 can go with him. The wheelchair car can hold one plus a wheelchair. The other 4 will be directed to another ride car.

Pirates of the Caribbean - mainstream. You will be directed to the area that boards to the left of the boat. Both the Fastpass and Standby line can be routed to that area; as you enter the line, the CM will direct you and all would be able to stay together. Pirates is a very hard transfer both in and out because the boat seat is very low. We find it works best to have one person in the boat to 'receive' the person with a disability and one outside to help with the transfer.
The CMs prefer guests to transfer to an attraction wheelchair if possible, but if that's not possible, you can remain in your own wheelchair (not ECV).
The reason is they have to transfer the wheelchair from boarding to unload, which is one floor down and in a different building. If you are using one of the attraction wheelchairs, time is not as much of an issue.

Mickey's Philharmagic - mainstream until the last waiting room before going into the theater. At that point, guests with mobility devices are sent down a ramp to the right and will sit in the back row. Expect to be asked that split your group to no more than 5 with the guest using a wheelchair. There is one companion seat per wheelchair spot. The rest of your party will be directed to the row right in front of the back row.

Little Mermaid - mainstream, but once you enter the building, guests with mobility devices are asked to stay to the left and follow the black line. Your entire party could wait together, but because that line can stretch really far, it's better to have some wait in the area parallel to it. Once inside, the accessible seating in to the left in the back row. There is one companion seat per wheelchair spot. The rest of your party will be directed to sit wherever they want in the theater.

Soarin' (going to go first thing in the AM)
Toy Story Mania (using FP+)
Star Tours (probably using FP+)
Jungle Cruise (probably using FP+)
Dumbo (using FP+)
Winnie the Pooh (using FP+)
Small World
Buzz Lightyear (using FP+)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mickey's Philharmagic
Little Mermaid

Thanks for any input!

If his issues are only mobility ones, then the wheelchair meets his needs, and no DAS will be issued.

Does he have the ability to hold himself erect/support himself? If not, I'd not bring him on Star Tours. Pooh, Buzz, TSMM - can he safely hold himself with bouncing or spinning motion in the wheelchair?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter