Adult Measles Vaccine

RUDisney

Mom to Ivan & Kristina
Any other adults getting a tune up on their original measles vaccine?

The news yesterday said that anyone born before 1989 or traveling internationally should have a booster. I qualify for both of these. Plus, my DS is being treated for leukemia, so his immune system is compromised, so I don't want to bring measles into my house.

I called the doctor's office and after also speaking to DS's hematologist and oncologist, (the vaccine contains live virus, so I needed to make sure that I could get it with my DS living with us.) I'm going to stop into my doctor's office to get a booster.

Anyone else getting it or considering it?

I've had 2 boosters already...one around 1989-1990 due to an outbreak in my hometown. My mother made me get one before I came home from college for the summer that year. The second was when I registered to start my master's degree in 2007. The university required proof of vaccination and since I couldn't find it, I just went ahead and got another one.

I'm one of the extremely unlucky ones in that I was vaccinated as a child born in the 70's was vaccinated and still came down with the measles in 11th grade. I got a lot of attention from the health department.

DH and I got our MMR booster in March before travelling to the US. DD10 has has 2 doses, DH and I were born in the 1970's and only had 1 dose as per the childhood vaccination schedule of the time.

When DH and I enrolled in grad school in 2005 the university/state of WA required that we have a third dose of MMR. The state of CA only required that we have two to enroll in elementary school back in the early 80s.

I'm one of the extremely unlucky ones in that I was vaccinated as a child born in the 70's was vaccinated and still came down with the measles in 11th grade. I got a lot of attention from the health department.
Holy smokes! If it makes you feel better, I was lucky enough to get chicken pox twice. Once in 4th grade and once as an adult, when my kids got it.

Yay us!

I am considering getting a booster for it. My PCP supports it. In calling my insurance, they'll cover it, if it is coded as preventative. What else would a vaccine be coded as?

I've had it three times. Once as a kid (the antiquated "one dose" vaccine). Once my freshman year in college in December when we had a couple cases of Rubella on campus and they offered free vaccinations to the student population and we were told not to come back from Christmas break without proof of MMR vaccination. The last was 5 years ago when we when to a CVS "vaccination clinic" at a local school for the seasonal flu vaccine and they offered others that you might need. So I added a MMR booster to the mix.

Holy smokes! If it makes you feel better, I was lucky enough to get chicken pox twice. Once in 4th grade and once as an adult, when my kids got it.

Yay us!
That was when I learned that vaccines are not 100% effective, most are 90-95% effective, some much less then that. That leaves as much as 10% of the vaccinated public still at risk for contracting the childhood illness.

I'm considering it.

I was born before 1989, but I distinctly remember having to get some kind of booster shot my junior year of high school. For some reason, I thought it was a MMR booster. That would have been 1989-1990. Were they doing MMR boosters then?

The pediatricians' office I went to is actually still in practice (& is now our kids' pediatricians' office), so I called earlier this week to see if they still had my immunization records. The lady w/ whom I spoke was a bit doubtful, but said they could possibly send someone to their storage to look if I really needed the records.

DH doesn't think we need boosters, but I may stop by CVS anyway.

When I went to graduate school, my doctor went through my immunization records and decided that not only should I receive MMR, but he also (over the course of a few months) gave me fresh tetanus and I want to say Hepatitus (he is obsessed by the fact that my brother has diabetes and asks about him at every visit).

I feel pretty well immunized, but nothing is 100%. EVERYONE has to be vaccinated to be safe from these bugs. Sad that measles was completely gone in the U.S. 20 years ago and now its back. I just hope that something really ugly, like smallpox, doesn’t rear its head again.

I had all my titers checked 2 years ago- needed an update on the chicken pox vaccine. Had my daughters done last year when she was going into college and she is all good.

I was born in 85 and sometime between my first and second pregnancies (they did titers during the first blood draw of each pregnancy) I lost my immunity to Measles, so after i delivered my second child, the hospital administered a booster before we were discharged.

Had it right before Christmas during my check up. I asked about getting a tetanus booster since I hadn’t had one in 30 years. She gave me a vaccine that included tetanus, mumps, measles and rubella.

Both my sisters got both red measles & german measles. I never got either. When I was in college, I got a measles shot.

After I was married, my doctor thought I should be tested to see if I was immune. I wasn't. So I got an MMR shot. Don't know if it "took" or not. Guess I should get it checked.

I'm old. :blush: The only thing I remember about vaccines was going to get one one time and I had a slight fever, so they wouldn't give it to me. I don't remember going back. So I called my GPs office, and they don't do them there; they said go to CVS or public health. I will one of these days....

Does anyone know if you have longer-lasting immunity if you HAD the disease, instead of the shots? Yup, I'm old.

I was in the one shot group. My mom doesn’t remember if I got boosters before high school or college. During pregnancy they only checked my rubella titers.
If they have the shot at the pharmacy it probably wouldn’t hurt to get one. Anyone know if cvs or Walgreens do MMR’s?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter